Has anyone with a Beresford bought a DACmagic?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
.....and noticed it to be any better? I know the party line is "Yes its £80 more so its a bit better" but I'd like to hear some first hand thoughts!

Cheers

Matt

PS sorry to labour this topic...

John Duncan

I don't own the Beresford, but a colleague does and when my DACMagic arrives (the friend who bought it for me is working away so can't send it - d'oh), we plan a listening session. So unless you're in a hurry.......

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
mattc76:I didn't think RS let you take anything back?

I just took over 2k of stuff back
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

Yeah but I thought that was only the 740 and 840 series, not the DACMagic.

So what are you getting instead DM (for the umnpteenth time)?

Edit - 30 day money back is explicitly stated on the 740 and 840, not so on the DAC. Though did you send it back anyway DM?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

I just took over 2k of stuff back
emotion-2.gif

... they probably won't after this ...
emotion-1.gif

Yeah, that included a DM.

I let you know as soon as I know JD.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:

Edit - 30 day money back is explicitly stated on the 740 and 840, not so on the DAC. Though did you send it back anyway DM?

Yes and Kef's, Mezzo's, optical cable ... , perhaps they are still re-packing and have'nt gotten to the DM yet ... must have taken them days
emotion-2.gif
. Must say I sweated like a piglet shifting the stuff forward and backwards!

I am not sure about their return/trial policy but I spoke to the manager before I bought the lot making explicitely clear that I wanted a return guarantee in case I did'nt like it. I found them to be helpful and flexible.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Drummerman,

Out of interest - why did you return everything?

I am thinking of purchasing the 840 v2 and dacmagic so I am interested in knowing your views.

thanks Tonky

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its all very good Tonky. Just a little to 'hifi' for me. For the money I was most impressed with the Kef's and the DM.

I returned everything because I may yet buy some AVI's. Better than the CA's and cheaper too.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site

Really important, this. I wouldnt even think of trying one without them agreeing to a return first, so it could make all the difference. Drummermans experience is encouraging tho.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:No point in buying both though, I'd have thought? The 840 is better than the DACMagic, and has an optical in for another source. If you need more than that, is different matter obv.

The 840A is the amp John.

Great choice Tonky!

A

Anonymous

Just to add, it looks though the Beresford is now the next (modded) model. TheÿTC-7510 MK6/4. Aparently this is a big improvement, but I haven't heard it, although am planning to buy a one soon for another room.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:No point in buying both though, I'd have thought? The 840 is better than the DACMagic, and has an optical in for another source. If you need more than that, is different matter obv.

Great choice Tonky!

Ah did I misread him?

In which case ignore me (SP).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
pudley:Just to add, it looks though the Beresford is now the next (modded) model. TheÿTC-7510 MK6/4. Aparently this is a big improvement, but I haven't heard it, although am planning to buy a one soon for another room.

do report back!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:No point in buying both though, I'd have thought? The 840 is better than the DACMagic, and has an optical in for another source. If you need more than that, is different matter obv.

Great choice Tonky!

Yes, it is superb, as is the player. Both must-listen at the price and above.

I have to take a guess here but perhaps the 740 series offers a slightly more sympathetic and fluid picture at cost to some detail and control. They are apparently giving away the player if you buy the amplifier. Even I would'nt haggle with them about that offer.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok then - somehow managed to get the last DACmagic in the shop today and hurried home excitedly to hook it up.

Out the box its smaller than I thought (which is nice), a bit more proportioned than the beresford (which is long and thin).

Instant impression - brighter, not as much bass, not as punchy.
After a bit of a listen - sooo much more detail. ie noticing new things in the music (all the time) eg little percussion tracks that were previously buried with the beresford - nice. This makes classical particularly sound really really good - in fact everything is much more detailed. The previous impression of lack of bass seems actually to be that it is more controlled. Spatial positioning of instruments is excellent - very easy to pick each instrument out. I'm not entirely sure but I think the vocals are not as dead center but almost seem slightly to be "floating" between the two speakers ie not as focused in the middle if that makes sense. I cant really explain but its almost as if the sound is coming from the 2 speakers instead of the space in between them (if you know what i mean) - i haven't had a play with the phase options in detail yet but it maybe something to do with that. - It may also be a reflection of the better instrument position that i'm not used to. (Having just said all that this Police track i'm listening to is definately coming from the invisible space in between the 2 speakers and is sounding bloody marvellous)

I think its probably gonna end up being a significant Beresford upgrade but i'll post back when I've had more of a listen......and I think I can here next doors cat trying to get in our cat flap....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattc76:Ok then - somehow managed to get the last DACmagic in the shop today and hurried home excitedly to hook it up.

Out the box its smaller than I thought (which is nice), a bit more proportioned than the beresford (which is long and thin).

Instant impression - brighter, not as much bass, not as punchy.
After a bit of a listen - sooo much more detail. ie noticing new things in the music (all the time) eg little percussion tracks that were previously buried with the beresford - nice. This makes classical particularly sound really really good - in fact everything is much more detailed. The previous impression of lack of bass seems actually to be that it is more controlled. Spatial positioning of instruments is excellent - very easy to pick each instrument out. I'm not entirely sure but I think the vocals are not as dead center but almost seem slightly to be "floating" between the two speakers ie not as focused in the middle if that makes sense. I cant really explain but its almost as if the sound is coming from the 2 speakers instead of the space in between them (if you know what i mean) - i haven't had a play with the phase options in detail yet but it maybe something to do with that. - It may also be a reflection of the better instrument position that i'm not used to. (Having just said all that this Police track i'm listening to is definately coming from the invisible space in between the 2 speakers and is sounding bloody marvellous)

I think its probably gonna end up being a significant Beresford upgrade but i'll post back when I've had more of a listen......and I think I can here next doors cat trying to get in our cat flap....

That's very interesting Matt as I had no comparison as it's my first external DAC. I find the soundstage spot on. I challenged the missus the other day and she was shocked when I said that our centre speaker was not connected in any way, shape or form to the stereo set up. The accuracy and timing are my favourite plusses. The bass is very tight and on the button too. Not sure whether you have the option but very good balanced cables are used to connect my amp and Drummerman suggested this as another advantage over similar priced DACs.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
To be honest I think what I'm hearing is the improved sound stage and separation between instruments - the detail is much much better. I've not had a chance to play with the phase options yet but I'll report back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts