Has anyone compared PMC Twenty 22 against ATC SCM19?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Good morning, Has any one either directly compared or have experience of both these speakers? Obviously they are quite different designs, one with the transmission line and the other sealed but they are both well regarded two-way stand mount designs of similar size and price point. I’m quite surprised I have not been able to find any comparisons between these two models. I demoed the 22’s and thought they excelled in many areas and I would be delighted to own them but they didn’t tick every box for me and I suspect the transmission line was not behaving well in the room, of course if this was the cause perhaps a sealed design would excel. I am also considering the SCM40s at the very top of my budget (Well the budget is currently non-existent!) but thought the 22 vs. the 19 was a fair comparison. Of course I plan to demo some more but your thoughts please?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes I have, but I'm afraid I'll have to catch up with you later. Its my day off, and I've already spent all day on forums as it is - I'm off to watch a few movies while I still have the time to! :)

Got a bit of product assessment to do too...

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi David, thanks for the reply. I really did like the 22s, the higher ends where amazing and bass what I expected, I'm upgrading from B&w 602 so in terms of presence they're about the same 6.5" woofer in large stand mount enclosure but I want to give nothing away but with that bit of extra class, specifically more detail (I find the 602 a little out of focus almost) and more realism and excitement in the subtleties such as space and decay.

As I said treble in the 22 was amazing and bass extended as I want, surprisingly it was the midrange I felt didn't quite hit the spot, it was good but felt disjointed from the overall picture, I wonder if it was the TL delaying the sound? Also the demo room had a large window at the back of the room which probably didn't help.

amps are a Croft 25 valve pre in to Quad 909 power amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Twenty series sound more open and detailed in my opinion, but will sound a little lean in the bass compared to the ATC's, which may well be failing you a little in the midrange. Although, I wouldn't have said you'd be lacking midrange driving them with a Quad 909....

It may be that with the 602's you've been used to a more muddled, warmer midrange, and it is sounding more neutral with the PMC's. I'm guessing the TB2i's might be more to your liking, but they're nowhere near as detailed and open as the Twenty.22's.

What amplifier was used for auditioning?

TRENDING THREADS