Hackers have done Silver High Breed

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Went on the website yesterday, to put in an order. It's been online graffiti'd. Annoyed me cos I wants me cables!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Gusboll:
bretty:Went on the website yesterday, to put in an order. It's been online graffiti'd by some wee b'stards. Annoyed me cos I wants me cables!

What you getting Bretty?

I'm getting a pair of the 'Avatar' interconnects, to see if they have a deeper bass response than the 'Metaphor 2 LE'. I'm also getting three of the 'Accord' mains cables, two for my pre-amp and one for the power amp.

As an aside, I feel a bit sorry for the bloke who owns SHB, for getting targetted. It's not like he's a big conglomerate, he's a one-man band, from what I gather, so, unless it's random, I don't get it. Geeks with too much time on their hands. I hope he gets the site back, soon.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Idiots.

He also puts his stuff on fleabay - just had a look and ordered a pair of Avatars so it will be interesting to hear how they compare with the Metaphors.

A

Anonymous

He is a nice guy with very good products and excellent service ....

he has had a rough time lately ... a bad review from a mag, and now his site gets defaced/hacked .... hope he sorts it out soon

A

Anonymous

chebby:Let's hope the hack didn't get as far as the order book and all their customer's details.

Really, what was the point of it? Yes, they've hacked a basic, small Web site but can they do anything that has a use? So far the action has left everyone thinking that they're idiots.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The web site is back on-line and I have ordered a set of the 'Avatar TSC' interconnects. After speaking to the owner of SHB, it seems that these cables have rectified the slight lean-ness of bass that the Metaphor 2 suffer from. I'm looking forward to having a listen to them. I'll post a review in due course....

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I got the Avatars today. I was disappointed to see that the plugs aren't gold plated, as these cables, at £40, aren't dirt cheap, like the Metaphor 2 was. The interconnect that this is replacing cost £10 and that managed it, so surely SHB could. Cost cutting gone one step to far, I feel.

SHB need a lot of burn in, in my experience, and I hope that this is the case with these because they don't sound very good, out-of-the-box. Sonically, these cables have robbed most of the bass from the sound, leaving it very thin.

I'll post an update after a couple of days burn in...

A

Anonymous

bretty:
I got the Avatars today. I was disappointed to see that the plugs aren't gold plated, as these cables, at £40, aren't dirt cheap, like the Metaphor 2 was. The interconnect that this is replacing cost £10 and that managed it, so surely SHB could. Cost cutting gone one step to far, I feel.

SHB need a lot of burn in, in my experience, and I hope that this is the case with these because they don't sound very good, out-of-the-box. Sonically, these cables have robbed most of the bass from the sound, leaving it very thin.

you sure they're not silver plated plugs?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
It's sad that a minority always feel duty bound to cause others as much hassle as they can manage. It doesn't matter to them that someone's livelihood could be adversely affected. Vandalous scum! Just like any low-life who thinks it is funny to damage the property of others, uproot plants from gardens, and worse.

Rant over.

On the SHB product front, the cables are recommended to be burnt in for 60hrs at least. Nevertheless, I did find that I was not over-awed by the Avatars in terms of performance over earlier models. Still good, but probably not (to my ears and on my system) worth the extra cash. That said, I don't reckon I particularly noticed any reduction in low end performance - more an excess of brightness.

I now have several of the SHB family, but currently most are in the spares and experimentation/comparison box.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:bretty:

you sure they're not silver plated plugs?

Oh yeah, they're definitely not silver. They are dull, no shine like silver plate would have.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
They've been burning in for 18 hours, now. I just had a quick listen before I go to work. The bass is starting to come back.

One definite improvement over the Metaphor is the treble. It's not at all harsh, very life like in fact. I think these, like the Metaphor 2, will be great cables, once given the proper burn in time.

To JD: is that what you told the wife, when you gave her that 'silver' engagement ring?!! Seriously, doesn't silver plate have a sheen? I wouldn't know, I only deal with platinum, ordinarily.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Yep, a bargain. But it depends on your system. I liked the value for money: great bass weight and punch, a decent mid-range, and excellent high-end clarity. But with my set-up they began to take the high end just that bit too far. Sad to say. SHB is a small business worth encouraging. Great products and great helpful service. Puts far more expensive products into perspective.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:Yep, a bargain. But it depends on your system. I liked the value for money: great bass weight and punch, a decent mid-range, and excellent high-end clarity. But with my set-up they began to take the high end just that bit too far. Sad to say. SHB is a small business worth encouraging. Great products and great helpful service. Puts far more expensive products into perspective.

I completely agree with your sentiments. I'd much rather give my money to a guy that, I imagine, hand-makes all his cables in a little shed somewhere, than to a massive company with their massive mark-ups,

As a final note, the 'Avatar' really is very, very good. They've had about 50 hours of burn-in and now the bass is full, much more so than with the 'Metaphor 2'. Very airy, great soundstage and a treble that, on my system, isn't forward or brittle.

If, like me, you have the 'Metaphor 2' and are thinking of uprgrading, I say 'do it'. You won't be disappointed.

SteveR750

I've missed the middle bit of the SHB story, last I heard WHF were going to try and test them to see if the hype was real...did this ever happen? I guess from this thread that they are not just a flash in the pan. I'm still using the original IC's and the speaker cables I boiught from him, though I do occasionally swap with the chord cobras. Not much between them, though not impressed with the chords build quality as the plugs are a loose fit on every bit of kit (currently used between the Humax box and the K2)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts