Great actives for the less well heeled.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
Idiotproof environment breeds idiots.

They usually do well irrespective of conditions...

In the 50s audio enthusiasts soldered kit to get hifi. I get confused with input sensitivity switches. Future generations will probably be clueless what an amplifier is.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'd like to hear a pair of these in my life.

Slim chances though.

Do have something of a reputation but they are too expensive to find their way into dealers, so I have never heard them.

Since we are making 'off the cuff' suggestions, I rather like these...

2d24195cc78fe0d9ac936c8011531847.jpg

Unity Audio 'The Rock', about £2.5k pr.

They may even have some hi-fi style credibility, drive units are built by Elac and the amps are designed by Tim de Paravicini of EAR fame.

But then they are described as 'Ruthlessly accurate', I doubt they would be popular on here.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:
I'd like to hear a pair of these in my life.

Slim chances though.

Do have something of a reputation but they are too expensive to find their way into dealers, so I have never heard them.

Since we are making 'off the cuff' suggestions, I rather like these...

Unity Audio 'The Rock', about £2.5k pr.

They may even have some hi-fi style credibility, drive units are built by Elac and the amps are designed by Tim de Paravicini of EAR fame.

But then they are described as 'Ruthlessly accurate', I doubt they would be popular on here.

Accuracy is asymptotic like Zeno's arrow paradox. There is no point where you get too much audio transducer accuracy for your own good. Digital has in practicall sense peaked, but not speakers.

Flat earth stereotypes still fill up empty storage space in audiophiles heads.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think this forum is turning a corner I hope I'm not too early with praise but it seems that actives are more accepted nowadays Smile Great to see, as it's all the same and matters not whether active, passive or powered we use it for the same purpose to listen to music. Also, an interesting pair of speakers in the OP for what seems a very good price.

+1

I see big changes afoot. Actives (without the silliness), DSP, room treatment and such like have made for interesting addictions to the usual topics.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Great comment Insider - open minded myself on actives (what silliness?) - heard the LS50W in Birmingham the other week - great demo - very impressed - Thanks Dave F. Always liked the passive LS50 speakers too. DSP - all good stuff.

DDC has also shown well that the £400 - £600 range of Studio actives seem to offer great value for money ( second system time?) - Thomann.de offering great prices (and service - have bought from there before)

tonky

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
tonky said:
Great comment Insider - open minded myself on actives (what silliness?) - heard the LS50W in Birmingham the other week - great demo - very impressed - Thanks Dave F. Always liked the passive LS50 speakers too. DSP - all good stuff.
No problem tonky. Should have their dedicated Custom Design stands by the end of next week, so they should sound even better. Despite still being impressive on top of a £140 Ikea sideboard (it does add some coloration to the bass region, which I can hear), so the stands should sort that out.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't clear in my last post.

The silliness was in reference to all that has passed before, generally at the very mention of actives, threads upon endless threads and posts. I was in agreement with Insider9, the forum of late has seemingly grown up and adopted a more even and balanced approach.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

Yankees across the pond have also figured it out finally.

3. The M2 was the first joint design between the luxury group and "Pro." Traditionally they were rivals and not wanting to adopt the other group's virtues. This is why I think the M2 has been such a success (in Pro world and some outside). With that success behind them, there should be more products of this kind.

4. JBL products sold through the Pro channel are sold at much lower margin than luxury speakers through high-end dealers. The Pro channel comes with no hand holding, often no demo products, etc. and the customer specs them rather than the dealer suggesting. They also run on high volume and hence can afford the low margins. What this means is that traditional high-end retailers won't touch them with a 10 foot pole. This is why it is so difficult to find a place to hear them.

I think things are changing. It's not just a new flavor of the month.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good drivers, a decent cabinet and adequate amplification still costs money, no matter if active or passive.

The old adage of 'you get what you pay for' has perhaps been a little tested in Hifi but it stands true even in the Pro sector.

A lot of pro stuff also looks ... erm, ... a little industrial (I am being kind here).

No problem with actives though, Dynaudio and others make good domestically acceptable products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Good drivers, a decent cabinet and adequate amplification still costs money, no matter if active or passive.

The old adage of 'you get what you pay for' has perhaps been a little tested in Hifi but it stands true even in the Pro sector.

A lot of pro stuff also looks ... erm, ... a little industrial (I am being kind here).

No problem with actives though, Dynaudio and others make good domestically acceptable products.

BTW look at what the millennials are buying and at what prices. My reaction is in the comments section.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

BTW look at what the millennials are buying and at what prices. My reaction is in the comments section.
I've heard a big speaker like these.....Sounded as bad as you'd imagine. A lot of distortion.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

Whathifi should employ this guy to do reviews. Id buy the magazine just for that.

Pro: its a big, loud party speaker

Cons: its a big, loud party speaker

Conclusion: its a party speaker and kids love to party (in mono)
Loved his review brilliant

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

Whathifi should employ this guy to do reviews. Id buy the magazine just for that.

Conclusion: its a party speaker and kids love to party (in mono) Loved his review brilliant

Andrew is a fun reviewer/audiophile/addict. I've been watching his videos since the begining of his channel. The gear was crap but his presentation was/is entertaining. He gets so excited over gear, almost child like. That's how people observe us from afar probably. Bunch of wackos. *wacko*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

I've heard a big speaker like these.....Sounded as bad as you'd imagine. A lot of distortion.

2000W @ 2000% THD *preved*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
set-fame-rpm-2-1-set-rpm5-speaker-rpm10s-sub_1_REC783.jpg

'Own brand' 2.1 system from musicstore in Germany.

Two 5 inch active monitors plus substantial 10 inch subwoofer, more than enough for any house party, less than £300 though you will need to buy cables. Want more, upgrade to 8 inch monitors, less than £100!

Not vouching for the fidelity but I have seen a similar but older setup from the same manufacturer, with a little eq, nothing like as bad as you might think, in fact buy yourself a set and get invites to all the best parties, so long as you take the system with you...*yahoo*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
'Own brand' 2.1 system from musicstore in Germany.

Two 5 inch active monitors plus substantial 10 inch subwoofer, more than enough for any house party, less than £300 though you will need to buy cables. Want more, upgrade to 8 inch monitors, less than £100!

Not vouching for the fidelity but I have seen a similar but older setup from the same manufacturer, with a little eq, nothing like as bad as you might think, in fact buy yourself a set and get invites to all the best parties, so long as you take the system with you...*yahoo*

We can put them on top of these. Also selling for £300 (used). *dirol* Who will DJ and bartend?

qLZGTuW.jpg

blow-up-doll.jpeg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

Conclusion: its a party speaker and kids love to party (in mono) Loved his review brilliant

Andrew is a fun reviewer/audiophile/addict. I've been watching his videos since the begining of his channel. The gear was crap but his presentation was/is entertaining. He gets so excited over gear, almost child like. That's how people observe us from afar probably. Bunch of wackos. *wacko*
Ill be looking for more of his videos in future. Love it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts