Grado 125e disappointment...what is going on?!

chiaki

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
To save myself some trouble, here's an e-mail I sent to Grado customer service:
Hello, I purchased a pair of Grado 125e headphones and to my disappointment, the headphones give me an uncomfortable listening experience. Whether the discomfort is from the headband being too tight, the type of foam pads, or from the sound coming from the headphones, I can't tell. I don't know if it's my Pro-Ject headphone amplifier or my NAD C 516BEE compact disc player. I don't know if I would describe the sound I get from the Grado headphones as shrill, but I can't listen too long without taking them off. They're too much for my ears. They're too sharp. And I've made sure that the volume is at a reasonable level in a quiet room. I regret that I have discarded the packaging, but I urge you to take back the headphones. I'm not asking for a full refund, and I'm perfectly happy with partial store credit. Just please, take these headphones off my hands. I absolutely regret buying them. These were my first pair of Grado's and I'm really upset. I wanted to e-mail about my intention to return these headphones, as I don't think this happens too often. Again, I'm really sorry I discarded the packaging. I purchased these headphones from the 4OurEars website and I hope you can make an exception. I will be shipping the headphones carefully wrapped in bubble wrap via FedEx or UPS. Billing name and address: I don't know how to describe this guys. The Grado's are way too intense for me. My hi-fi setup is simple, and it's my first one: NAD C 516BEE and a Pro-Ject Head Box S. A typical starter kit, right? I can't stand these Grado's! I had more enjoyment out of an iPod touch and a pair of B&O Form 2i's. Every violin is shrill, every bass guitar sends me tremors, and I can't listen to Aphex Twin without feeling sick...I just can't get into the music. Maybe I need headphones with more color and less detail? These 125e's are too violent for me. I wish I could describe it...It's too much for my ears. Any feedback is very much appreciated and I created this account because of this predicament. Thanks.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure how long you have had them, but sometimes it takes time to get used to new headphones as you are so used to the old sound.

I did not like my Grados when I got them and remember being so disappointed after all the rave reviews. I have now had them over 12 years I think and I keep going back to them from time to time. They are still the headphones I use with my I pod. And this is after I have bought many other pairs. After a while I always go back to my Grados

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So you blew a three-figure sum on headphones you hadn't heard?? Well there's there first thing you did wrong for starters. They're not a washing machine that either works well or it doesn't and most people are going to unanimously agree it's good/bad; everyone's ears are different.

If you're in the UK and you have purchased over the internet, Distant Selling Rergulations give you a cooling-off period during which time you can change your mind and return the item. Think it's 14 days but *may* be as much as 30; I haven't checked. Obviously some items are excluded, though your phones wouldn't be.

However to take advantage of this, the manufacturer or retailer rightfully expects to receive the item back in as-new condition, complete with its packaging. In your circumstances, in the interest of good relations they may agree to take the headphones back from you but equally they have the legal right to tell you to go take a hike. In which case your next option is probably to sell them after learning the harsh lesson that you can only really choose products like headphones by hearing them.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Have you allowed for them to "run in", some say 100-200 hours of use and after that their sound character does change. I bought some Grado PS1000 and at first they were all over the place...bright, dull...everything. Now they sound great.

chiaki

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Major,

You're absolutely right. Perhaps I read too many rave reviews and should've stopped by the closest dealer. I've had these headphones for three days and I've listened to about six hours of music on them, so I definitely overreacted.

I'm in the U.S and purchased off their official store. I understand that Grado has every right to refuse a return, but they have fortunately offered to take them back. I'll return them and give Grado's another go at my local record shop where they are authorized dealers. Most likely other models in the Prestige range.

I was expecting amazing results from the moment I put them on. Last night, they were less harsh, and I could focus on the music more. The sound was probably way different than what I'm used to. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure this will work out.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
chiaki said:
Major,

You're absolutely right. Perhaps I read too many rave reviews and should've stopped by the closest dealer. I've had these headphones for three days and I've listened to about six hours of music on them, so I definitely overreacted.

I was expecting amazing results from the moment I put them on. Last night, they were less harsh, and I could focus on the music more. The sound was probably way different than what I'm used to. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure this will work out.

Edit: The new e-series Grado are about 65% run in out of the box, due to the new design. All thought below are for Grados of the i-series and before.

Grados straight out the box are most definitely harsh. I have never heard anything like it. They sound flat, undetailed, coarse, and with no musicality whatsoever. A bit like an old qualityless portable tranny radio, with a vague stereo soundstage.

However let them run in and all aspects of change take place. I say they need three solid days to settle. That's seventy-two hours. (Leave them on sound source over-night.) They will refine after that but three days to me is when they really feel their legs. During the first three days the sound softens, becomes accurate, and the soundstage gets its spacing worked out.

The first couple of hours changes are subtle but tonality starts becoming apparent. After that and as time goes by the timbre of the music improves. Until eventually you are in an emotional relationship with the headphones, after somewhere between three days and a week's time.

The 125's have an exceptional quality. Some of the music drifts into the mix. A quality I treasure. I have run a pair if 125's in. I am listening at the moment to Tom Petty's - I Won't Back Down on 225's. Some describe the 225 as bright and loud. I find them detailed powerhouses. The word used on the Grado USA website review to describe them is 'repristinate'. True.

Their main complaint of the 225 up to 500 is physical comfort. I listen to them for hours often leaving them on after the music stops. I discovered the following specific to the L-cushion pads that nearly everyone complains about. First time I put them I had them on minimum length pulled out on the earphone legs. They fit perfectly. For some reason I slid the earphones down the bracket legs a little. (I.E. Making the headphones longer from top to bottom, and the earphone lower down my ear.) After a while I got uncomfortable and moved them more. Uncomfortable moved them more. Pain and ready to stop wearing them at this point. Then I remembered I liked them at first for comfort and pushed the eaphones back up the legs. Perfect! You just have to find your right place.

I promise I am not just disputing everything you said as some internet faceless users do.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Different music can sound really different. Some music can be rather bright and strident, and other music may be distant and veiled. I personally wouldn't recommend the Grados up to the 325e for the brighter or harsher music, because (as best I understand) these Grados are designed for natural music that hasn't been highly processed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts