Google Pixel and Pixel XL phones

Now I understand why Google dropped the Nexus brand! Pixel is the premium brand, priced the same as iPhone. I don't think it'll see the same level of success as Nexus phones. The 128GB Pixel XL is £240 more expensive than the 128GB Nexus 6p! Suddenly, Samsung's phones appear better value!

Interestingly, no coverage of the said phones on What Hi Fi? news section.

daveh75

bigboss said:
Now I understand why Google dropped the Nexus brand! Pixel is the premium brand, priced the same as iPhone. I don't think it'll see the same level of success as Nexus phones. The 128GB Pixel XL is £240 more expensive than the 128GB Nexus 6p! Suddenly, Samsung's phones appear better value!

Interestingly, no coverage of the said phones on What Hi Fi? news section.

I don't agree. The Nexus' were always really the reference/developer/power user devices and not massively successfully.

It's clear the Pixel is aimed firmly at the mainstream and meant to compete directly with iPhones and Samsung Galaxies.

If you watched any of the announcement it was also pretty obvious this isn't just about hardware, but an 'ecosystem' play.

There's been quite a lot of negativity about pricing, mainly from those who have been conditioned by the Nexus pricing and don't really understand what Google's upto with the Pixel line...

I knew from the change of branding from Nexus to Pixel that these will be premium phones at premium prices. Chromebook pixel wasn't cheap either. Whether this "ecosystem" play attracts buyers remains to be seen.

Will Google also release a budget Nexus line? It probably doesn't need to.

daveh75

No. Nexus is officially dead.

I'm both kind of disappointed and pleased they've gone this route.

Disappointed that they've **** on existing Nexus owners by killing their major selling point with the death of the Nexus programme, i.e timely updates. The Pixel ships with 7.1 but Nexus' won't get it until year end and Dev Preview builds at that...

But, it's better they compete at the high end where there's some profit margin and maybe give the likes of Samsung a much needed kick in the pants.

Rather than at the mid range where profits are razer thin and there's increasing competition.

That said I won't be buying a Pixel this time round, as it all looks like a rather iPhoney move.

And there's some seriously impressive phones to be had at midrange prices these days particularly from the Chinese makers.

manicm

Daveh, I think you're wrong. And I do have a Nexus 5X.

The Nexii, at any price, were always niche models - targeting those who wanted a pure Android experience at reasonable cost - and that's exactly what I got with the 5X.

Where I disagree with you is that I believe Google has alienated Nexus owners because of PRICE. I received Nougat on my device within 3 weeks - pretty good if you ask me. Nougat 7.1 isn't that of a big deal, and Google will provide it soon after for 5X/6P owners. I don't think owners are going to revolt by waiting just month. Apart from being installed on the Pixels it isn't even officially launched for general Android devices yet.

The Pixels are just too high priced for their target audience - I personally would get an iPhone 7 if I were in the market now.

Another scenario is that Google will re-launch new Nexus models at midrange prices, but are keeping it secret. In fact that would be entirely sensible. They can equip it with the newer mid-level Snapdragon processors, and 3gb of ram instead of 4.

manicm said:
Another scenario is that Google will re-launch new Nexus models at midrange prices, but are keeping it secret. In fact that would be entirely sensible. They can equip it with the newer mid-level Snapdragon processors, and 3gb of ram instead of 4.
Google has made it clear that Nexus line is coming to an end.

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-dead-long-live-pixel-720148/

manicm

@bigboss, Google's statement that the site quotes is not entirely unequivocal:

As Nexus users, you’ve played an integral role in this journey for Google. We’re excited about Pixel, and also want you to know that we’ll continue to support your Nexus devices (with customer support, software updates, etc.) and the Nexus G+ page will continue to be a place for Nexus convos.

One could interpret that as Google not absolutely closing the door on Nexus. Unlikely yes, but seems there could be a slim chance...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts