Google Chromecast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Seldom, in fact probably never, has a thread made me feel so ignorant. :oops: Lacking even a smart phone, much less a tablet or iPad or suchlike, and not even knowing quite what a media streamer is, and with none of my four interlinked home cinema systems being connected to the internet, I must just accept that such things are destined to pass me by. :cry: I had not even heard of Google Chromecast until that nice Mr Duncan started this thread. I'll have to console myself by now going to the kitchen and playing my Blu-Ray of either "Argo" or "Drive" at -15dB.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
AnotherJoe said:
Miracast is a better option - laptop/phone/tablet supports it.
No it isnt IMO.

Thats just pushing content from another device. I can already do that and not what I want. It defeats the point of having an internet connected box to me.

Im not sure what your getting at. Chromecast only lets you mirror whats in your Chrome browser, or selected google apps that use Chrome framework extensions.

Miracast lets you mirror anything and at better quality.

daveh75

Its not mirroring with those select apps (and i,m sure more will come) its pulling content directly from the web. Since its not using widi and relying on pushed content from the smartphone/tablet, you can still use them, as er a tablet/smartphone rather than tying them up with serving media...

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Miracast also lets you stream a movie to your tv screen, and continue to use your phones screen as normal simultaneously.

Not sure I see the need for yet another different standard

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a smartphone or tablet but I do own a laptop, which is probably 3-4 years old. My laptop has HDMI output so I can easily connect it to the TV.

Do most modern smartphones and tablets have a similar feature?

As far as I can tell you need either a smartphone, tablet or computer to control the Chromecast. Therefore, most people already have the above ability, this simply replaces the hardwired connection to your TV.

Unless I've misunderstood what's happening here.

:type:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts