Good speaker match?

shreddedmeat

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently using an old pair of Sony SS176Es with my Cambridge 640A (V1), Sony, CDP-XE370 SACD player, Pro-Ject Genie 3 + Rega Fono Mini. It all holds up pretty well but I think the speakers are getting a bit long in the tooth now and showing their age. Probably the weak point in the system.

I've been looking around for some new speakers that would work well here, however I very rarely have the ability to demo anything so I usually take the risk of buying online. I'm happy to buy 2nd hand also (ebay etc.). I notice that Acoustic Energy are selling off Neo 3 V1s via their ebay store for £185 and I've always been interested in them, but would they be a good match? I prefer the bass response of floorstanders but that being said the Sonys I'm using have a very 'flabby' low end, so I'd look into a good set of standmounts etc. if anyone has any good ideas? Price range would be a max of £200.

Cheers

shreddedmeat

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
How's the bass on the Wharfedales? Looked at the brand before but never been too keen on them.

Also my CD player is a SCD-XE380, not the CDP-XE370 which is CD only. Not that I think it's going to make a great difference here
smiley-laughing.gif

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Agree the Neo 3's sound like a good bet. Your getting a lot of speaker for a good price. You could always try the Cambridge Audio S70. They are £200 and should gel well with the CA amp.

Otherwise I would look at second hand for that price you would pick up some good bargains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts