Good sounding iPod docks, any ideas?

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
My birthday is coming up in a few months and I've decided I'd like a dock system for my new iPod touch. My budget is going to be up to about £250 and I'd like a few ideas of what to audition before I decide what's right for me.

Sound quality is my main priority, however, internet and DAB radio would be of interest. It would be going in a room about 5m x 6m, although I don't need it to go loud as it's more for evening listening or for playing music for my 2 year old during the day.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hi Peter,

The Bose sound dock would be a good choice, it sounds very good for its size and would fit your budget, although it does'nt have the option to use DAB or internet radio, but it does have a 3.5mm jack input. If you were to start looking for ipod docks with DAB and internet radio you'd probably find that for you're budget you would be sacraficing sound quality for features. I dont know of any ipod docks that do both of them features unless you start looking at micro systems.
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/505234/BOSE-SoundDock-Series-2?cm_ven=Google+Shopping&cm_cat=Feed&cm_pla=&cm_ite=505234_BOSE_SoundDock_Series_2

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I'll definitely have a look at that when I go to audition them.

Other idea I had was, if I can get a good deal, Pure Avanti Flow. I know it's a bit more, but I sometimes see it on offer for less than £250. Anyone got one and what's it like?

Any other ideas are welcome..

A

Anonymous

FYI. You can get a lot of Dab/internet stations through apps on the touch.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
NSYGrinner:FYI. You can get a lot of Dab/internet stations through apps on the touch.

peter8171:I'd like a dock system for my new iPod touch. My budget is going to be up to about £250 and I'd like a few ideas of what to audition before I decide what's right for me.
AudioAffair currently have the Roth Audio MC4 and OLi 1 for £189.95 and £74.95.

WHF gave them both 5star reviews at £399 and £99, so definitely worth auditioning at that price.

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try and listen to as many as I can, however, the OH is a bit anti having separate speakers in the living room, she thinks it'll clutter up the room....

Any more single box ideas welcome.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

rymidd

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
how about the B&W zeplin mini also has usb in so you can conect laptop in to it . better sound than the bose . RRP 300 quid put have seen it in super f for £269 and got mine for £250 off ebay

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Another product I've seen is the Vita Audio R2i. What's it like in comparison to the Avanti Flow, Bose Sound dock 2 or Zeppelin Mini?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my so-so Sony system with Ipod Dock in my bedroom.

Two front runners are the B&W Zeppelin Mini & the Vita Audio R2i.

Thing is having a radio is quite important. What would serve me best. the Vita with its DAB or the B&W and use a radio app on my iphone.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
This afternoon, used ooTunes radio app for the iphone via the dock instead of using the DAB and it was really good. Ultimate sound quality not ever so important as it's only for listening to Chris Evans whilst I have my breakfast :)

So I'm going to get the Zeppelin (not the Mini) off HMV.com. Just remembered got a £50 voucher on my account so it'll only cost £340 (free P&P)

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
anyone heard of the Vita Audio R2i? it seems pretty simple and affordable...

so peter have u decided what to buy? coz all the ones u listed are also on my list, and i still cant decide which to get...

lets say MM-1 would be the best in here out of the B&W dock.. the only way to control is to get the apple universal dock? i would if they sounds good coz its connected tru the headphone socket...

peter8171

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Am probably going to go for the B& W Mini as, other than sounding great, the OH likes the look of it most as well.....

I've now got a radio app on my iPod, so the radio part isn't needed so much mow.

A

Anonymous

I got a Klipsch iGroove which is superb. Make sure it is compatible with your actual iPod for charging. Also Klipsch x10 headphones are awesome, worth the momey

idc

Apple Stores and John Lewis are good places to audition speaker docks due to the range both have on display, including Bose and B&W. Take your own ipod and have a go. The JL in Glasgow has a couple of rooms where you can set stuff up.

PS - I have a Bose Sounddock, which when I tried it next to a Zeppelin after it came out, the Zeppelin was better and has more functionality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts