Good music in low volume

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, with the marriage and the arrival of baby, so goes my freedom to have a proper music listening at decent level (well, usually put the volume at 8 o'clock, and absolutely never past 9 o'clock). With the decreased volume, so goes the quality of my music. so I am wondering if changing certain equipments (say, speaker) would improve the quality of the system even at low volume? If yes, any recommendation? The living room in my apt is 3m x 7m. I am using DVD player - VDAC - NAD C320BEE - Monitor Audio Bronze B2. Usually listening to stuffs like Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, instrumentals (things that my system usually is good at). Sometimes also listen to noisier music such as rock (less pleasureable with my system). thanks,

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
FWIW I find my PMC DB1i speakers continue to reveal a great deal of detail across all frequencies even at very low volume. I presume these characteristics would persist when matched with other amps, CDP etc.

I guess you've considered headphones? I've got some really nice ones, but headphones just don't do it for me.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes all speakers in the PMC range are very good with low volume sound quality because they are designed so that their frequency response remains the same at all listening levels .

It is one of the many advantages of the transmission line or ATL design that PMC use in all their speakers .

The DB1i is a brilliant little speaker that almost defies the laws of physics in the way it presents such a massive sound from such a small speaker, it is my favorite small speaker bar none :)

newtohifijkt said:
Hi, with the marriage and the arrival of baby, so goes my freedom to have a proper music listening at decent level (well, usually put the volume at 8 o'clock, and absolutely never past 9 o'clock). With the decreased volume, so goes the quality of my music. so I am wondering if changing certain equipments (say, speaker) would improve the quality of the system even at low volume? If yes, any recommendation? The living room in my apt is 3m x 7m. I am using DVD player - VDAC - NAD C320BEE - Monitor Audio Bronze B2. Usually listening to stuffs like Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, instrumentals (things that my system usually is good at). Sometimes also listen to noisier music such as rock (less pleasureable with my system). thanks,

Like you I have to listen to music at very modest levels. Joys of family life...

Can't really say how the Nad works at low levels, but I'd a thought they would sound really good down low.

Even the best systems lose a little at idling levels, but apart from PMCs I would say most ported speakers should be more adept when it comes to these qualities.

On suggestion: Floorstanders. Generally they are better than standmounts when conveying music at minimum sounds. Certainly my RS6s are very good in this area.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, I would look at attenuators.

Rothwell's at £40 or Goldenjacks off ebay around £25. These will give you more control over the volume pot instead of fiddling around where a couple of millimetres either side is too low/loud. I've no real experience of your particular amp but the Marantz PM6003, for example, excels at low volume listening (I'm sure the 6004 will do likewise, although I've not actually heard it).

A general "rule" seems to be that high sensitivity speakers are preferable for low volume listening (89db plus), but my 84db Dali Lektor 1's were sublime in the above set-up at low volumes. I'm sure the PMC's would do a fine job, but that's a grand's worth of speaker.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Headphones and amp :)

Or maybe an amp with low level boost, i remember Yamaha cropping up before but cant remember the model, soz.

matthewpiano

NAD amps are brilliant at low volume levels so I wouldn't change that. I have owned BX2s and found they needed turning up a bit to sound anything like their best. I personally think the Dali Zensor 1 is a better speaker all round, and particularly at low volumes. Matches well with NAD too.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
shooter69 said:
Headphones and amp :)

Or maybe an amp with low level boost, i remember Yamaha cropping up before but cant remember the model, soz.

+1. our ears don't hear low frequencies very well at low volume. the only way to get an even balance at low volumes is to have a system that is too bassy at higher volumes, or something with some sort of 'loudness' button or tone controls.

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I am the same, I never take it much past 9o'clock with my NAD amp.

My amp together with my new TL speakers work very well at low volumes, I can play music from any genre and at low volumes they produce a full bodied sound. This is something I wanted from a system because I am not in a position to blast music. well for most of the time anyway!

I have just replaced Monitor Audio silver S8 speakers which would only perform at their best at higher volumes and they really struggled when I switched to the likes of ACDC or matellica, just an uncomfortable noise from the treble.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the opinion.

I think I would tend to the PMC, based on the suggestions and the web searches that I read today. I may improve the music at low volume but also get an improvement at other volume level of listening.

The price of PMC is steep, a huge increase from my MA B2 but probably still workable if I diligently save for few months (I am not upgrading very often anyway). Will check also Dali Zensor but I think, as it is at the same price bracket with B2, it may not offer a huge improvement (I may be wrong).

I have a headphone (Sennheiser) but it is not my favorite option. Not get used to something attached to my head :)

But if say in the next 6 months I proceed with PMC DB1i, is my NAD still sufficient or do I also need to change the amp?

thanks,

A

Anonymous

floorstanders? Any suggestion what might be a suitable option(s)? (other than RS6)

Lets say for price up to around GBP 1,100.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Tested B&W684 floorst. with Marantz pm 6004: very good & smooth bass even at low volume and at very very low you can use the well designed loudness
smiley-wink.gif
of this amp... not possible using the Nads, or other good amps, as they don't have this bass boost and so you are forced to use them only at higher volumes...

A

Anonymous

684?

2 months ago i was buying a cd and the shop was hooking 684 with Onkyo A 9355 and a Denon DVD / Blu Ray player. With that setting, 684 sounded lifeless and dull. My MA B2, at a fraction of the price, sounded much better. But will check again.

thanks,

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I found that MA are more open in highs vs 684, but I love a more dark and relaxing sound:

when you have the speaker in your house, day after day, some too open spk/amp can turn in

a too fatiguing set...just my impressions in 35 years
smiley-cry.gif
!

A

Anonymous

I was thinking the culprit is the Onkyo amp? As what I read here, 684 is highly respectable....

will changing the amp to bright amps, such as Cambridge Audio or Yamaha AS 500 (from the impression I got from the forum), will make the 684 sounds less dull?

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Try B&W 684 with Marantz pm 6004: when your volume drop under 9 o'clock, you can press loudness

and the deep bass will blow away every Nad!
smiley-cool.gif

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
A difference between a mediocre hifi and a good one is that the good one sounds good when you crank it up. A difference between a good hifi and a great hifi is that t sounds good even if you don't crank it up.

NAD 320Bee + MA Bronze is a plenty good system. But if you want it to be truly sublime at low volumes, your kit is not up to the task. MA in general likes to be pushed, and the NAD amps (I have a 326Bee, the successor to your amp) are happiest played loud.

For your new life, you might go with something a little more refined (I have three little kids, and my setup below actually sounds much better at low volumes then high volumes, particularly before I added the sub). Since you don't need lot of watts, then this does not have to cost a fortune. Someone mentioned the PMC DB1i - great suggestion. Maybe you could find something in the used amp market - to cut the cost down. I plugged in my 10 year-old Naim Nait 5 into my office system, replacing the NAD 326 that I had in there, and the improvement was really startling. These are 300-400 quid at the most if you can find a used one.

I would disagree with the poster who suggested attentuators...don't ever add anything to your system except a DAC, a better amp, or better speakers. Keep it simple.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts