Good deal???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been having a look at and listening to several systems recently as advised by Tractorboy and Drummerman and think I've decided on the system I'm going to get: Amp - Marantz PM6002 for £230 CD - Marantz CD5001 for £150 Speakers - Monitor Audio BR2 for £180 + Stands. (I could possibly go for the BR5's at £420 but don't think I can really stretch that far money wise). Also is there any truth in the sales assistants advise that the Monitor prices are due to rise at the end of this month or was that just him trying to make the sale there and then? What I'd like to know is is this a good deal or should I shop around? As I said I listened to three or four systems and although I knew there was a difference in the music (Nirvana) I could tell you what it was and why I prefered the Marantz system.

A

Anonymous

Hadn't spotted the Richersounds deal so will have a look at that. Listened to the NAD systems and prefered the Marantaz equipment. What I should have said was that I couldn't tell you why. There was a definite difference but I couldn't put into words what it was just that I prefered the Marantz sound.

John Duncan

Then Marantz it is - obviously Richer is the place to buy the amp, but if you can stretch to the 6002 in the CDP department, that pairing would keep you going for a long time, and would survive some fairly substantial speaker upgrades. I personally would go for something a touch less bright than the BR2's though - the three together might be a bit fatiguing long term for me. Dimaond 9.1s, Tannoy Mercury F1 or F2. But that's just me, I know the combo's well liked here.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Shadowman"] What I'd like to know is is this a good deal or should I shop around? As I said I listened to three or four systems and although I knew there was a difference in the music (Nirvana) I could tell you what it was and why I prefered the Marantz system.[/quote]

Good on you and you're right, just trust your ears bearing in mind that things that sound impressive in a half hour dem may become wearing in the long term at home as implied by Mr Duncan. Get a home trial if you can too for exactly that reason.

Also, I personally think its wrong to audition stuff at a dealer and then go and buy elsewhere for a few pennies less. Not worth it and you may be grateful for your dealers assistance in the future.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]Also, I personally think its wrong to audition stuff at a dealer and then go and buy elsewhere for a few pennies less. Not worth it and you may be grateful for your dealers assistance in the future.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more!

John Duncan

[quote user="drummerman"]Also, I personally think its wrong to audition stuff at a dealer and then go and
buy elsewhere for a few pennies less. Not worth it and you may be grateful for
your dealers assistance in the future.[/quote]

Oh, agreed - particularly if they'll let you home-audition some speakers once you've bought the CDP and Amp. I'd haggle with them for a discount on the whole lot though
emotion-1.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Oh, agreed - particularly if they'll let you home-audition some speakers once you've bought the CDP and Amp. I'd haggle with them for a discount on the whole lot though
emotion-1.gif
[/quote]

Yep. You can get 10% discounts or at the very least some good accessories thrown in free which often equal on-line deals.

A

Anonymous

I recently auditioned the Marantz PM6002 & CD6002 with the RS5 and I did find it very bright at the top end - maybe even a touch harsh.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Rude not to. My favourite line is "so what's the best price you can do me for the whole lot?". Not in Naim dealers, obviously
emotion-1.gif
[/quote]

Another good line you can try is ... 'I did'nt really want to spend that much ...' followed with my favorite accessory ... car keys coming out of the pocket ...
emotion-11.gif
but often a good chat, laugh and shared interest is plenty enough. I think its an English thing not to haggle ...

A

Anonymous

Cheers for your thoughts. I'm going in to my local dealer tomorrow to make the purchases but I think I'll take the Richersounds deal with me and see if he can match or possibly better it. There's no harm in trying and he could always say yes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts