Goldmund's Eidos SACD makes its reference disc player more accessible

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
We all understand the concept of diminishing returns, this really is for the customer who wants to align himself with prestige and good taste, I realise this is a subjective and once you enter into this realm, you are swimming in your own bubble.

If you have money and want to impress upon your circle of friends, then cheers but I'll rather have the local ale, which touches the places many glasses of airy bubbly won't reach.

If money wasn't the objective, I still be wanting to spend less than it is necessary.

If you have been watching Steve Huff's Youtube videos and I wish this guy was on What HiFi's payroll, he's absolute ace about giving sound reviews or advice on esoteric hi-fi and I only wish Camalot would roll out the balls on my lottery ticket! Jay iyagi is also one of my most watched YouTube videos.

One of the things that I can take away from Steves videos that not everything top end is beyond reach, that is, if you're prepared to look beyond the paraphet.

I'm from the old school, the output is only as good as the source, if you're feeding it lettuce you're not going to get caviar. If I had my own money printing machine, my personal choice would be the following:

Jay’s Audio CDT3 MK III CD transport
The Weiss DAC 204
Hegel P30A and H30A or if I run out of printing money I'll settle for the very modest Vincent integrated amp SV-237 mk II; aaagh cross the Vincent out; I think if I can't have the Hegels, it has to be the Denafrips Thallo...
and for speakers; oh gosh so many, I think I'll settle for;
Arendal 1723 THX

It's so hard and there is a caveat, you need to have extensive listening and in the right sourroundings to make sound judgement and this is where What Hi Fi comes in and to some degree we need a little nudge in the right direction, and it's not always de 'facto, because the product the reviewer likes may not be the solution for you, it's not to say it's bad, getting the right sound will utimately take you on that emotional journal and, it isn't always science.

I know this is just a bit of fun and maybe in my next life, better fortune may come my way but hey ho, old married guys like me, do what married guys do, we look after number one and NO it isn't ME LOL!

Last edited:

Winston

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
Well as a owner of an Esoteric x01 D2, old reference, I certainly would go if my money allowed me to an Esoteric Grandioso. The sound is crisp and detailed almost analog and the reputation of reliability make it a wise choice
PS I bought my player second hand I can't spend 17 000 euros on an item even Esoteric

Winston

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
SACD is not the point the number of CD in circulation outerpass the hyped vinyl. But the real connoisseur, I mean not the follower, knows that cd brings a long time of pleasure and you avoid the change of cartridge, the settings and so on

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
SACD is not the point the number of CD in circulation outerpass the hyped vinyl. But the real connoisseur, I mean not the follower, knows that cd brings a long time of pleasure and you avoid the change of cartridge, the settings and so on
Agreed. I am quite happy with the red book standard. To my mind it surpasses the best vinyl. I understand the lure of vinyl, it's a very tactile, ritualistic format.
Nor, for that matter, do I fully understand the hi-res camp. I've tried to tell the difference between hi-res and lossless with just a 50% success rate. In contrast, comparing 320kbs lossy to lossless and I get about 90% success rate.

TRENDING THREADS