Going to demo B&O Avant today!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
I've fixed an appointment to demo the new B&O Avant 4K TV today. Will report back. :)

Nice one! :clap: Pictures possible? :?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
B&O's website states that the TV uses an "edge-type LED panel with 1.5 local backlight dimming."

This sounds much like Sony's pseudo local dimming technology (i.e. it uses edge lighting, rather than full array backlighting, which is less "local" than the marketing suggests).

This doesn't mean it'll be bad. The edge lighting may perform brilliantly. However, I think it's worth checking for light pooling, torching, clouding, etc.

Back from the demo. Here are my thoughts:

Build quality: Absolutely stunning; aluminium and glass. No plastic in sight! The remote is a work of art, made from a single block of aluminium. I have no doubt in mind that this will last for 10-20 years easily, only limited by the LCD panel's lifespan. The speaker pops out from the bottom and widens when you switch the TV on. Nice! The stand is stunning, and the TV moves fluidly to your desired position controlled by the remote. You also have the option of tabletop mounting, wall mounting with ability to angle the TV to any one side via the remote, and fixed wall mounting which can manually be moved.

Features: 6 HDMI inputs, with HDMI 1 supporting HEVC codec as well (their claim, no idea what it means: the feature should be in the TV and not HDMI port!!). Already HDMI 2.0 out of the box (not needing an update as claimed in the news stories). Clever brackets to mount Apple TV, blu ray player and Sky HD box to the back of the TV. The blu ray players that can be mounted this way are limited, as they need to support top loading. They had Panasonic BBT01 which is really slim! Edge-lit as mentioned. Samsung panel. There's a sliding plate at the back to hide all the HDMI inputs. The TV apparently comes calibrated from the factory, and each TV is personally checked by a person. Obviously, no match to calibrating in your own house, but better than other brands. The remote controls the blu ray player, Sky HD box as well.

Performance: Bear in mind that the TV was located near the entrance to the shop on a very bright day. So my observations are rather limited.

1) Backlighting: Appeared uniform, with no obvious clouding (you need a dark room to confirm that).

2) Blacks: Looked rather deep, but not perfect black. The picture was a black sky, so cannot comment on shadow details within the blacks.

3) Colours: Accurate and bright. Absolutely no issues here.

4) 4K images: Simply stunning; good motion control and pin sharp images, even from 3 feet distance.

5) 1080p: Again very sharp. Did have some motion issues on fast scenes.

6) SD images: Disappointing, I must say. Samsung and Sony are better here. Very soft images.

7) Sound: The TV has an array of 8 speakers, with dedicated 3 channels. If you connect to surround sound speakers, the TV speaker becomes the centre channel. TV sound is above average with clear midrange and dialogue clarity. Overall, it did sound a bit flat. When connected to Beolab 14, I was stunned at the sound. Those little speakers defy their size, and go real loud without distortion!! Movies and music is much livelier, and fast and deep bass from the subwoofer! I think it's good value at £2500.

Warranty: 3 years. B&O is known to support and repair its products for upto 20 years.

Price: £5995 for TV only, goes up to £7500 with the stand. The entire package with the fancy stand and Beolab 14 is £10000, with speaker stands and brackets for blu ray player etc. thrown in for free. The price includes installation, including burying the cables in the wall if needed. They won't repaint and finish the wall. They also allow home demos, and will deliver and collect it, including weekend demo. Bear in mind, despite 4K, it's one of the cheaper TVs, almost half the price of Beovision 11. They're selling it at low margins for greater volumes. The dealer says that he's already sold 11 out of the first lot of 20 TVs.

I don't mind the price, but SD picture quality and the fact that it only comes in 55-inch size are deal breakers for me.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like a nice tv but not for me i think if i had it for ten years i would be quite bored with it, twenty years it would seem really dated and possibly by then we would be on 8K.

I think my advice would be get the best you can and exspect to upgrade it in the next 7-10 years imo.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
It will also be coming in 75 and 85 inch, I'm surprised the picture looked bad usually bang-olufsens vision clear processing on sd betters many other tvs. If i had the money that would be my next tv i love it.

i had a demo on Friday and is definitely priced better than previous beovisions and I feel like it is value for money in terms of the technology packed in it.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
In the demo I had I was able to watch what I wanted and I saw a scene from pacific rim, let me tell you the picture and sound was stunning motion had no blur or judder whatsoever and the depth and richness was better than anything I've seen so far.

I'm a fan of the brand and have demoed most of there tvs but the avant tops it for me. The beolab 14s are amazing for there size aren't they... The bass from the sub is deep and tight.

I was wrong about the 75" it's 55" and 85"

markiedee said:
It will also be coming in 75 and 85 inch, I'm surprised the picture looked bad usually bang-olufsens vision clear processing on sd betters many other tvs. If i had the money that would be my next tv i love it.

i had a demo on Friday and is definitely priced better than previous beovisions and I feel like it is value for money in terms of the technology packed in it.

Yes, I was surprised at SD images as well, because B&O is famed for its superior picture processing. As I mentioned, the demo environment wasn't perfect. I'll wait for formal reviews.
I don't think it's overpriced at all: just as there are luxury cars, luxury yachts and luxury hi-fis, surely there's no reason why there shouldn't also be luxury TVs, right? And picture and sound quality isn't compromised either. Beovision 11 was one of the best TVs in the market last year, for picture as well as sound.

I wish they had a 65-inch version as well. I'm thinking of arranging a home demo after I move to my new place.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Back from the demo. Here are my thoughts:

A calm, logical, objective report. Though generally very positve, you have highlighted some issues (Standard Definition picture, not sure about black depth and shadow detail). How I wish that some others on this forum would also comment dispassionately, without descending into hyperbole and hysteria.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I can't help but think that the comment you wrote was for me son of sj ?? There's no hyperbole or hysteria coming from me. I've owned and seen many different tvs and none including the new ones from other brands compare with even the picture quality i currently get from my loewe compose let alone the new avant.

@ bigboss I think a home demo would be better to get a overall feel for the tv, I can fully recommend bang-olufsen Chelsea and Knightsbridge the service From both stores is very commendable.

When had my demo last week the tv was in a darker part of the showroom with the lights dimmed down so the sensor wasn't trying to work as hard against sunlight although there automatic picture control is generally really good at optimising the picture, the avant has that plus a new chromatic room adaptation which adjusts it self further even to the colours you have on your wall and adapts the picture according to your room.

markiedee said:
I can't help but think that the comment you wrote was for me son of sj ?? There's no hyperbole or hysteria coming from me. I've owned and seen many different tvs and none including the new ones from other brands compare with even the picture quality i currently get from my loewe compose let alone the new avant.

@ bigboss I think a home demo would be better to get a overall feel for the tv, I can fully recommend bang-olufsen Chelsea and Knightsbridge the service From both stores is very commendable.

When had my demo last week the tv was in a darker part of the showroom with the lights dimmed down so the sensor wasn't trying to work as hard against sunlight although there automatic picture control is generally really good at optimising the picture, the avant has that plus a new chromatic room adaptation which adjusts it self further even to the colours you have on your wall and adapts the picture according to your room.

No, Son_of_SJ was commenting on other members on the forum (not this thread) who can get very passionate when reviewing AV products.

I live in Yorkshire, so going all the way down to London doesn't make sense for me. Thanks anyway. :)

daveh75

bigboss said:
I don't mind the price, but SD picture quality and the fact that it only comes in 55-inch size are deal breakers for me.

Really?

I would have thought how a TV handles SD is becoming largely irrelevant, and to me spending £6k on a UHD TV and then feeding it SD is ridiculous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts