Going deaf and need to hear TV

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having problems hearing the telly and would like to buy a set of headphones. I need them to keep the level of sound at the same point (if you see what I mean) It feels now like I only hear the loud speech and not the whispering. I need to hear both, so, a sort of 'levelling' system. They need to be cover-the-ear type and no wires. No good having wires that folk can trip over. Cover the ear because my husband needs to be able to watch telly without me blasting noise out from the headphones.

So..can anyone suggest what I can buy, under £200 please if possible.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Your best bet is something like the Sennheiser RS160 or 170 Jan. We don't sell them but I think they would suit your needs.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure to be honest bigboss, we don't stock them. I just know that they are probably as good as anything for this usage.

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Good grief guys ! You've really surprised me...I honestly didn't expect to get a reply tonight...this week..if ever ! and you knew what I meant !!! I do need sound to be 'level'. Even with both hearing aids in we still have to have the TV on gas mark 9 :( I'm sure that having the telly on so loud is what's making my hubby deaf !

Mind you, I do have very good neighbours who understand.

The headphones really are the way forward for me..I don't really want to start buying speakers etc even though it may be cheaper...and a brilliant idea I got to add :D

I shall take a look at that link with the 'leveller' in..and I will come back and tell you all what I bought.

May you all have a wonderful week..and a HUGE win on the lottery :)

Cheers. Jan

Edited to add. * Ebay ? oooh, my fav site on .net (after this one of course ;)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Many AV receivers such as the Yamaha RX-V667 have a function called 'night mode' which reduces the dynamic range of the TV sound. Basically what this means is that the quiet parts will be louder but the loud parts will still be at the same volume as before. Reducing the dynamic range this way will make all of the TV audio play at the same volume level so you'll be able to hear the quiet parts without needing to use headphones.

You could buy a second hand AV receiver with this function for about £100 and a pair of small speakers to plug into it for under £100.

Another advantage of this is that a cheap pair of hifi speakers will probably have much better sound quality than the TV speakers which will also help to make it easier to understand what people are saying.

If you're interested I'll be able to suggest a few options for what to buy off eBay within your price range. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts