Glossary of terms

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Is there such a thing as a 'Glossary of Terms' for this site?

I'm fairly new to all this and it would be great if us newbies could reference brightness, sensitivity, etc.

Cheers

Martin

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What would you like to know? If we get enough terms here then perhaps this thread could be made "sticky" so people could refer to it, but to get started:

Sensitivity, refering to speakers, is a measure of how much volume the speaker will produce for a given input power, a more sensitive speaker will make more noise at the same volume setting than a speaker of lesser sensitivity. Typical values are around 88-89db/W(att); more than that and the speaker is very sensitive, less than that, not so much.

A more sensitive speaker will run more happily from a lower power amplifier, so it's a useful figure to know for system matching purposes but doesn't bear any relevance to what the speaker actually sounds like.

Brightness: Presumably you're talking about in audio terms, rather than brightness on a TV, this typically refers to a speaker or amplifier that emphasises higher (treble) frequencies more than another might. Overly "bright" systems can lead to harshness and listener fatigue (hurty ears!).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We could certainly pop one of our in-mag glossaries - and indeed more in-depth Jargon Buster features - on the site, maybe in our Blogs section.

Will put it to the team and report back....

A

Anonymous

Speed. A word often used in reviews to describe aspects of sound qualities. I've never really understood what it means in that context. Can it be added to the glossary?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but the glossary in that other place is more one of technical terms than subjective reviewing language, But never say never – as Clare says above, she'll talk to the team and see what can be done. I'm expecting an email any second...
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts