Getting more out of my hi-fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have had my hi-fi for around 14 years now - a Marantz CD6000 OSE CD player, NAD C350 amp and Gale 1040 floor standing speakers. I have added bits and pieces over the years including a turntable and pre-amp as well.

I am still pretty happy with the sound but am wondering if there is anything I can do to improve my system without spending a fortune? For example, I have read and heard that investing in some Black Rhodium Tango bi-wire speaker cables can go a long way to improving the sound. Or any other recommendations on cable? The speaker cable I bought at the time was fairly standard and never been upgraded.

Would investing in some decent speaker cable make a significant difference? Or do you think I should think about investing in some new hi-fi components?

Any views or advice welcome.

Thanks

Andy

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you like what you have I'd stay away from changing cables etc. - Its a neverending spending spree with no guarantee of either success or contenteness, read a few forums and you know what I mean.

If you really must spend money I'd probably add internet/pc audio to your sources.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I didn't mean to kill this stone dead by the way pet.

I am sure there are people here which can come up with many more cable suggestions than I could ...

regards

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I used to have the same amp as yourself, it is a good amp but something like a Roksan Kandy K2 imo will give a substantial improvement.

Plenty of used examples on ebay.

matthewpiano

Agree with drummerman. I wouldn't start throwing money at expensive cables for your system, particularly if you enjoy the sound. You could add PC/streaming sources as he suggested or you could consider upgrading one of your components. I'd suggest auditioning some newer speakers to see whether they provide an upgrade to your ears.

T

the record spot

Forget looking at cables as an upgrade path, components will do this for you. Work out what sound you like and what you think is missing (there may not be anything missing incidentally, you might just fancy a change and no harm in that), then look around. There's heaps out there.

Were it my money, I'd be looking at the speakers. Gale were a decent brand at the time, so the 1040 won't be poor. I'd guess though that you might find something a notch up the ladder. The amp's fine, as is the source, bit if you want to make a change you could add a DAC to the CD player, or upgrade the amp to one which has an onboard DAC. My Onkyo listed below is one example, which is around £400 or less on a deal. See also XTZ's A100 which is around £600 or so. There's plenty of others out there to choose from, it depends on what you want to spend, where you want to spend it and how much of your present system you feel you need to change.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you prefer the sound from your turntable or your CD? Or neither?

If you are happy with the turntable, I would recommend a cheapish DAC to pep up the CD - namely the Beresford Bushmaster, a bit of a bargain at £180. Always surprised it doesn't get mentioned more when talk turns to DACs.

Personally, would prob look at speakers first. The NAD should have a fait bit of grunt, you could pick up some Mission 752 second hand that I imagine would be a massive improvement.

Cables, for me not so much...

What's your pre amp?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Do you prefer the sound from your turntable or your CD? Or neither?

If you are happy with the turntable, I would recommend a cheapish DAC to pep up the CD - namely the Beresford Bushmaster, a bit of a bargain at £180. Always surprised it doesn't get mentioned more when talk turns to DACs.

Personally, would prob look at speakers first. The NAD should have a fait bit of grunt, you could pick up some Mission 752 second hand that I imagine would be a massive improvement.

Cables, for me not so much...

What's your pre amp?

Humm.. Why do you think his got a pre amp?.. funny question:quest:

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Crazy.....

if it was my money I would try some new cables before I go splashing out hundreds of pounds on new kit. The age of your system...I think you'll be disappointed with what passes for HIFI these days and you'll only spend the rest of your days complaining how brittle things sound these days.

Try interconnects around the 40pound mark, between cd, pre-amp & amp if you notice no difference then don't bother changing your speaker cable.... :grin:

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Crazy.....

What's crazy?

Thompsonuxb said:
if it was my money I would try some new cables before I go splashing out hundreds of pounds on new kit. The age of your system...I think you'll be disappointed with what passes for HIFI these days and you'll only spend the rest of your days complaining how brittle things sound these days.

What does that even mean? Is that your advice - don't bother, as it will sound "brittle"???

Thompsonuxb said:
Try interconnects around the 40pound mark, between cd, pre-amp & amp if you notice no difference then don't bother changing your speaker cable.... :grin:

So, you're suggesting trying different interconnects (3 at £40 a pop = £120) which in all likelihood are going to have a very subtle effect if any. But then you would dismiss trying different speaker cable if that didn't work? So will changing any cables be a good thing or not?

On the other hand, spending money on different speakers, which in all likelihood would have a less than subtle effect, is crazy?

From a quick google, I can find no info at all on the Gale 1040 speakers - which kind of leads me to suspect they might be less than spectacular.

I've seen Mission 752 speakers go for as little as £32 - less than the price of one of the interconnects you suggest - and on many occasions for less than £100. I know from experience that they are fabulous speakers. If they don't suit the OP, then they have good resale value. Heck, he might even make a profit if he's lucky.

I really can't see with this relatively modest set up that changing to relatively modest interconnects is going to have much effect. The Nad is a very decent amp and will power better speakers well.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi andrew, to be honest I think your system might be due for an upgrade...I'd keep the Marantz CDP (having recently heard one and I think it sounds better than the 5003 and 5004) but I'd change the amp and speakers and not bother changing the wiring...it'll give you marginal benefits if at all and a lot of people on this forum don't even reccomend spending on wires at all.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Good post omnibeard. (Albeit in response to habitual madness.)

Thanks Ben - you try not to bite with a few of the regular posters on here, but sometimes the advice is so awry it's difficult not to!

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
+1 speakers will make the biggest difference for the least outlay (especially 2nd hand). Cables will have a marginal to no effect.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
shafesk said:
I'd change the amp and speakers and not bother changing the wiring...it'll give you marginal benefits if at all and a lot of people on this forum don't even reccomend spending on wires at all.

Agreed, to a point, Shafesk - an upgrade somewhere should make the biggest, most cost-effective improvement (and I don't mean cables!).

So Andy - I do reiterate that the Nad is a perfectly good amp. Really feel looking at some better speakers will make the most sense.

Quick trawl on ebay shows me lots of relatively cheap options - various Missions, B&W 601 S3 (stand mounts), B&W 602.5 S3, Ruark Talisman, Castle Chester, Acoustic Energy AE109 and so on - all at £150 or considerably under.

Although I don't know a couple of those speakers, I really can't believe that one of these options (for example) wouldn't make a huge difference to this set up.

For example, I own a pair of the AE109 - there's a set on ebay now for BIN £85. They're a perfectly good speaker, and I suspect (yes, sorry, it's a suspicion) they will work well with the Nad amp. They work very nicely with my Pioneer A400, and for the money are an absolute steal.

You could try these out, just to see how a change of speakers is going to improve/change your sound and then go from there. You can sell the AE109 if you don't like them or don't think they have made any difference.

I'm sure there are other people on here who could advise similarly priced second hand bargains that would work well with the Nad.

As I am probably a bit too keen to point out, you can get fantastic results from very little cash outlay. I have a relatively expensive set up, and then I have relatively cheap set ups, and I love listening to all of them. My Mission 751 speakers, at under £100 which included decent stands and cable, are just wonderful little things.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
prrft...o.k if you're all gonna be like that......:roll:

My suggestion was only said due to the time the op has had his kit.

To shift dramatically to an all new system, or amp/speaker combo's may bring more disatisfaction then many will care to admit would be the case. And so would begin the long quest of chasing ones tail in search of an holy grail, that will end in alot more expense. I remember the gale brand, never owned any but if they have served the op well, then maybe the subtle changes interconnects DO!! bring is all thats really required.

Honestly, you guys.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
prrft...o.k if you're all gonna be like that......:roll:

My suggestion was only said due to the time the op has had his kit.

To shift dramatically to an all new system, or amp/speaker combo's may bring more disatisfaction then many will care to admit would be the case. And so would begin the long quest of chasing ones tail in search of an holy grail, that will end in alot more expense. I remember the gale brand, never owned any but if they have served the op well, then maybe the subtle changes interconnects DO!! bring is all thats really required.

As usual, utter nonsense and no reasonable advice at all....

Bearing in mind that the OP wants to spend little to achieve as much as poss, nobody in their right mind is suggesting total shift to a new system. The sensible advice (not yours, as usual) is to try some "new" (and relatively cheap) speakers.

@ OP: The only way you'll know where the weakest link in your system is is to book a dem at your local Richer Sounds or other suitable dealer, explain the problem and tell them your budget.

FWIW, like some of the others, the problem maybe the speakers, however, you won't know for sure until you try some others or take sensible advice from a reputable dealer. By sensible advice, don't let them try and thrust on you £1,000 speakers or expensive cables. State you upper limit and be firm...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
omnibeard said:
BenLaw said:
I preferred the version where you (rightly IMO) accused him of being a troll.

Yeah, but realised I wasn't being very charitable. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

wow... was it something I said? have I upset you two or something?

my contribution to this thread is no more and no less cast in stone than yours,

Like your contributions they can be ignored, no big deal. And I'm not sure what trolling is but what YOU two are doing is'nt that trolling? ..... maybe I'm mistaken.

Not sure were you guys want to go with this 'tone' in your posts but this is not the forum for it. so please wash off the baby oils and lose the spandex budgie smugglers and save the tag team thing for somebody else.

Note from mods - Can we all calm down a little please and resist the personal attacks on each other.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts