Getting back into 2 channel music

Kingston12

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I sold all of my old Hifi kit a couple of years ago, as I found I was only using my system for movies at home.

Spotify and Sonos has got me back into it, but my home cinema set up (although great for movies does not really cut it.

Room size is about 17x12, and I will be listening across the width of that, so no room/need for anything too big!

My initial searching has led me to the combination of a Rotel RA-1520 integrated amp and B&W CM8 speakers, about £2k in total. This is quite a bit more than I planned to spend, but possible if it is the right way to go.

The big question is whether it is worth spending that type of money on amp/speakers when the only source will be my Sonos ZP90? I really can't see myself ever going back to CDs, but I might invest in a DAC for the Sonos or even a better streamer.

If it is worth the investment for streamed music, are there any other recommended pieces of kit at this price level? I listen to a wide variety of music, mainly in Apple Lossless files through the Sonos.

A

Anonymous

I did same thing earlier this year. Had a surround system but it didn't cut the mustard with music I'm afraid.

So bought a Sonos, strapped a NAS drive to it and ripped my CD's onto that. These files are now all streamed via Sonos to a Pecahtree Decco2 amp via optical cable and played through a second hand pair of Acoustic Energy AE1 Classics. Total cost (inc Sonos ) came to £1800 or so which also included the Sonos controller which though expensive is a cool piece of remote.

Also use Spotify etc. Peachtree amp has a decent DAC as well, together with USB, Toslink and normal analogue connections. It can also connect to a sub as well. One cute trick is that you can park the Sonos unit in a specially designed bay in the back of the amp thus reducing clutter. They also do the iDecco which has an iPod dock.

If you want tone controls the Peachtree doesn't have them by the way. But we love it, play it all the time now, and if we route the Freeview box or DVD player through it you get decent sound from films etc, allbeit stereo and not surround.

If you do want a NAS drive though avoid Iomega ones, couldn't get it to work. The Buffalo one we have works a treat and it has an extra USB socket on it so you can piggyback another HDD to it for back ups.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts