Get knotted!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

When listening through headphones i find granite blocks on my shoes or slippers really improve the bass , plus its easier than shoe or slipper spikes especially when getting up to go to the toilet.

idc

Hey Jase, I took it as intended
emotion-2.gif
. I was originally told about and shown the knot tying, so tried it myself and then looked up the website I was given, to then find it it was from Peter Belt. When I saw that I wasn't going to post anything, but then a track came on that had the described effect, then anothet and another so I decided, what the heck.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
idc:Hey Jase, I took it as intended
emotion-2.gif
. I was originally told about and shown the knot tying, so tried it myself and then looked up the website I was given, to then find it it was from Peter Belt. When I saw that I wasn't going to post anything, but then a track came on that had the described effect, then anothet and another so I decided, what the heck.Whatever works idc, if you can tell differences then thats all that matters eh? I know you dont suffer from placebo as neither do i, were on the same team mate ha

idc

I have undone the knots as the original change to the sound of a greater sense of air movement in the headphones had become irritating. On certain bassy albums some bass definition had been lost, to be replaced with a 'chuffing' noise. An interesting experiment, but I prefer my cables unknotted.

A

Anonymous

on a similar knot (i mean note) i recently tidied up the speaker cables on my second system which are about 4 meters too long. i simply coiled them up and then tied that coil in place with the loose end. i swore at the time that i heard a difference in the sound and immediately thought about what i had just done with the cables, but didnt really think much more about it... until now!
maybe it has something to do with resistance - anyone who owns an extension lead on a coil will have read the warning that the cable must be fully unravelled before being used or else it risks overheating. maybe the two are connected?

idc

I would'nt be surprised, I have read elsewhere advice not to coil up cables too tightly. I was told with this experiment to that to get the benefit it had to be a reef knot loosely tied as in my picture above. Try it yourself with your speaker cables and see what you think. It would be good to get another contribution!

A

Anonymous

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:

maybe it has something to do with resistance - anyone who owns an extension lead on a coil will have read the warning that the cable must be fully unravelled before being used or else it risks overheating. maybe the two are connected?Actually, coiling a cable increases its inductance. Your hi-fi might sound a little better if you run your cables back and forth without overlap rather than coiling them.

TRENDING THREADS