Genuine Class D question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

treesey

Sharks have been around for that long, along with other marine life, as their environment hasn't changed much over time AND it is less affected by the mass extinction events of the past - land based creatures/plants suffer more from the lack of light/drop of planetwide temperature.
Humans are now pumping plastic into the oceans, so that foodchain is all doomed as well :D

The Paedo Elon Musk pushing battery power is a massive environmental problem for everyone - but as long as the industries that benefit get rich quick, and the consumers thinking they are doing the right thing, it'll take us down another transport-propulsion dead-end.

Are we far enough off-topic yet? :)

Reactions: WayneKerr
I would quite agree.... Up to a point.
Those that are concerned with electricity consumption are not going to go all out for a valve amp and / or something that is Class A
Indeed. That's what chokes me off considering Class A and with valves, other than running hot, can be a nightmare with valve replacements. In the OPs case class A/B, D or G are fine. Can't remember when my A/B amp last got warm.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

He clearly has some very efficient speakers...... :)
That too maybe, but I've got a feeling he once mentioned being able to hold a conversation in the same room.

Having said that, my Cyrus amp is one big heatsink. It feels warm even after playing at way below my preferred volume level.
I'll be paying 80% more for that heat from October.....and God knows how much by April next year.
(It will be the only radiator I'll be switching on).

Reactions: Al ears
That too maybe, but I've got a feeling he once mentioned being able to hold a conversation in the same room.

Having said that, my Cyrus amp is one big heatsink. It feels warm even after playing at way below my preferred volume level.
I'll be paying 80% more for that heat from October.....and God knows how much by April next year.
(It will be the only radiator I'll be switching on).
I know what you mean.
Regret selling my Tom Evans Linear A now..... :)

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 160668

Treesey, I like your approach and concern - a virtual hi-five to you.

I agree the cumulative things people do make a difference.

However, the flipside to that is music makes many people happy, so they are happy to, for example, pay the additional cost (and energy) of Class A or valves.

Yes and I remember saying that definition of loud would (often, not always) be my normal. And I'm in no doubt that my normal would seem quiet to some 👍
It's true, I rarely play at ear-shattering levels. We live in a semi-detached on a council estate so it needs to be neighbour-friendly levels.
And when I'm in and out of the kitchen cooking the hi-fi is nothing louder than background levels.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
All this speak of hot amps, I can tell you, nothing is comparable to my sugden after 30mins of use. This time of year you can’t even touch it. After an hour it’s basically a space heater.

I see it like this, my amp is fully off 90% of the time drawing no power at all. My naim stuff was best left on all of the time same as any amp that goes into a standby state, on average those amps, class d or whatever will be consuming more power than my 1 or 2 hrs a week listening habits over a year . I can go 2 or 3 weeks this time of year and not listen to

Gray

All this speak of hot amps, I can tell you, nothing is comparable to my sugden after 30mins of use. This time of year you can’t even touch it. After an hour it’s basically a space heater.

I see it like this, my amp is fully off 90% of the time drawing no power at all. My naim stuff was best left on all of the time same as any amp that goes into a standby state, on average those amps, class d or whatever will be consuming more power than my 1 or 2 hrs a week listening habits over a year . I can go 2 or 3 weeks this time of year and not listen to
I get your point.
Your on time of 2 hours a week would be a lot less than most people's, so you're probably right about your consumption.

But that's why they ruled standby consumption needed to be below 1 watt, precisely because some people never turn stuff fully off.
Don't know if you've ever calculated using your actual figures.
Not sure what yours are, but say amp A (that runs too hot to touch) uses 200W when on.....and amp B on standby uses 0.5 W (someone said theirs used 0.2W on standby).

Then the same standard (1kWH) unit of electricity gives you 5 hours on time with amp A, compared with 2000 hours (almost 3 months solid) standby on amp B.....of course amp B would be on for some of the time, but would likely use way less than 200W when on - especially if it was class D.

I know many think power considerations are irrelevant, but forthcoming bills might give the heavy users something to think about.

Gray

All good points... but the effect on an individual's elec bill is still likely to be 'small'.

However - if everyone used a small amount less, then the effect would be huge.
Depends what you think is small Treesey.
If the proposed price hikes happen (next month's 80% increase must be guaranteed for a start mustn't it?) the effect on bills won't be that small.
The effect on pockets will always have more influence than any green considerations (for most people) when it comes to energy reduction.

(We're on £273 (average) standing charge per year - even if we consume nothing 😟).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts