Future steps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this.

Just recently got my auidolab 8000s amp to go with my 8000cd and Kef IQ5SE. I'm really pleased with them all, sound great.

But what can i do next ? Do i add a power amp ? A pre-amp ? Can add these to my 8000s amp ? The shop said you normal buy the pre and power amps together. I'm loving the sound i have, but not to hot on this pre/power stuff !

Thanks

Gbeer7

idc

I see from the 8000s specs that it can act as

- integrated, so it provides volume, source selection and amplification for the speakers as you have it set up now, or

- pre-amp which means it acts as the volume control and source input selector and then send a signal to a power amp. The power amp would have the connections to the speakers and it would then provide the power for the speakers.

- pre-power amp which means it acts as volume and source selector and you add a power amp and one set of speakers is connected to each amp, so you get a bi-amped system.

A

Anonymous

What does all that mean ? Can i use all 3 together ?
emotion-7.gif

idc

An amplifier does three jobs. It controls volume, it allows you to connnect multiple sources to it (CDP, tuner etc) which is the pre-amplifier part and it amplifies the electrical signal that goews to to the speakers which is the power part.

An integrated amplifier has all three functions in one. A pre-amp has the volume and selection functions and a power amp has the power function. Some power amps work with one amp connected to and driving both speakers. Soem power amps come as a pair and each amp is connected to and drives one speaker. That is bi-amping. So you need a pre-amp and a power amp )or two power amps) to do the same as an integrated amp........but

Some amps, like yours can do a combination of those functions. So yours can act as an all in one integrated amp, or as a pre-amp to a power amp or as a pre-power amp with another power amp for bi-amping.

Hope that helps.

idc

If that didnt help then using your set up as the example. Have either your 8000s acting as volume, selector and power to both speakers(as you do at the moment). Or add the 8000p power amp and use the 8000s as volume and selector and the 8000p as the power to both speakers. Or add the 8000p and use the 8000s as the volume and selector and power to one speaker and the 8000p as power to the other speaker.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. The last reply helps a bit. So, with the 8000s i don't need a pre amp ?

Basically i can add add an 8000p poweramp then ? Should i have not bought the 8000s ?
emotion-9.gif

Sorry to sound thick ! I'm learning !!

idc

Absolutely not! The Audiolab 8000s is an integrated amp that does everything you need an amp to do

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/model.php?id=1

and having always lusted after the range I suspect it does it rather well. The thing about the 8000 range is that there are options. There is a pre amplifier in the range, the 8000q

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/model.php?id=4

and if you had bought that you would need to also buy either one of the power amps to go with it, the m or the p.

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/model.php?id=2

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/model.php?id=3

But since you bought the s you have the option to add the m or the p. But you do not need to.

A

Anonymous

Thank you. That makes sense and feel a bit better now !

idc

You are welcome. It will become clearer as you re-read the thread and check out the instructions for and connections on the back of your amp.

The combinations of amps is a bit bewildering. I have a headphone amp that can also be used as a pre-amp and it has a DAC in it. I have seen and listened to a Linn system with a CD player, pre-amp which was connected to 6 power amps, three for each speaker.

A

Anonymous

Your right. I have re-read it. Sound a bit stupid now ! But thanks, been a great help. What setup do you have ? would 2 mono blocks be better than a single power amp ?

Also, does that mean i could add several poweramps ? So many questions and so little money !!

idc

Sorry for the delay in replying, computer problems. I had a look at the KEF speakers and I suspect due to their price pint and sensitivity you would not find a huge difference adding a power amp. What you have now is in the future the ability to upgrade to any speaker knowing no matter how insensitive it is and what ever its design, you will be able to power it to it's full potential.

Only auditioning the speakers with either the single power amp or the mono blocks will tell you what sound you will get.

I originally used my amp as a DAC and headphone amp. Now I just use the headphone amp part. I dont have full sized spears, so no need for the power amp. But if we were to move and I had the space, I would. Both of us are future proofed as amps are concerned.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gbeer7:Just recently got my auidolab 8000s amp to go with my 8000cd and Kef IQ5SE. I'm really pleased with them all, sound great.
But what can i do next ? Do i add a power amp ? A pre-amp ? Can add these to my 8000s amp ? The shop said you normal buy the pre and power amps together. I'm loving the sound i have.....

Wait up a minute. You have just recently bought this system and it sounds great - you are loving the sound - yet you are champing at the bit to get more boxes already?

60w per channel (and 25 amps of current) with speakers of 88dB sensitivity should be plenty of 'grip' without worrying about "what could be" if you threw more power at it.

I would suggest just leaving it all alone for a bit and celebrate your great new system with lots of new music.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:Gbeer7:Just recently got my auidolab 8000s amp to go with my 8000cd and Kef IQ5SE. I'm really pleased with them all, sound great.
But what can i do next ? Do i add a power amp ? A pre-amp ? Can add these to my 8000s amp ? The shop said you normal buy the pre and power amps together. I'm loving the sound i have.....

Wait up a minute. You have just recently bought this system and it sounds great - you are loving the sound - yet you are champing at the bit to get more boxes already?

60w per channel (and 25 amps of current) with speakers of 88dB sensitivity should be plenty of 'grip' without worrying about "what could be" if you threw more power at it.

I would suggest just leaving it all alone for a bit and celebrate your great new system with lots of new music.

Sensible advise if ever I heard any.

A

Anonymous

quote "Wait up a minute. You have just recently bought this system and it
sounds great - you are loving the sound - yet you are champing at the
bit to get more boxes already?"

Well, i'm just getting a bit overexcited ! It does sound great, temptation to add more is exciting !

Your probably right to be fair though ! Think the bug got to me ! All your replies are brilliant, thank you.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts