Frustrating Cable Issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all. I feel I'm about to open a can of worms but this is hurting my brain. I want to install a home cinema set up with all cable etc chased into walls. I had three contractors out who have all said NOT to purchase expensive HDMI cable. I was considering the Chord 1.3a (which is expensive due to needing 2 x 5m lengths) but they said its just a gimmick and said that Watchdog had proved this. Others have said the cable can't better the picture quality, it either works or it doesn't, and the only reason its poor performance is that its down to faulty cable. Can anyone advise please ???

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AFAIK Watchdog isn't in the business of testing HDMI cables.

But regarding HDMI cable choice, I've experienced interference on 5m runs of many budget cables, so I'd advise caution when going for a budget option on a permanent installation like this.

You don't have to use the Chord cable - others are available! - but you should ensure any cable you specify at least meets the HDMI 1.3 specification for a 5m run, and that means being guaranteed to deliver 1080P 24fps with Deep Colour and xvColour, plus HD Audio and HDMI CEC control, over at least that length of cable.

Not all budget cables will meet that specification.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. You must have read my thoughts. I will be looking for 1080P + 24FPS + HD Audio so thats why I feel it best to ask. Hopefully will be connecting a Panny Bluray to a Pioneer LX508 so I want to get this right. Any recommendations please.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you feel the Chord (which is excellent) seems a little rich for your blood, QED's Performance HDMI (aka HDMI-P) is another superb 1.3-rated option that's slightly cheaper. Its list price is £50/m, but if you shop around, you can get great deals on the 5m lengths you need (i've seen it for £100 for a 5m cable...)

A

Anonymous

I rather think it was the Gadget Show not watchdog with the cable review, if you can call it that, 1 cheapo and 1 mid price is hardly a fair comparison, personally I went with the Qed and I am more than delighted.

Good Luck
laechel.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, Clare and JCR. The QED cable sounds quite reasonable for 5m and If is 1.3a is probably what I'll run with. What speaker cable would you recommend for an Acoustic 1010i connected to Onkyo 606 ???. Cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]If you feel the Chord (which is excellent) seems a little rich for your blood, QED's Performance HDMI (aka HDMI-P) is another superb 1.3-rated option that's slightly cheaper. Its list price is £50/m, but if you shop around, you can get great deals on the 5m lengths you need (i've seen it for £100 for a 5m cable...)
[/quote] Try this, http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_categories.set/ref/58/-hdmi-to-hdmi-cables-1m-20m-lengths/browse.html £67 for the QED HDMI-P for 5m and £99(!!!!!) for the SR - free delivery.

TRENDING THREADS