Front ported standmounters up to £500

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I'd like to spend 600 euro (about £500) on a pair of standmounters. The main contenders are Triangle Titus EX, Wharfedale EVO2 8 and the Dali Ikon 1. I've heard the Triangle's at an audio fair last weekend and liked them very much. The other two contenders weren't there and I wonder if they are similar or maybe even better. My new speakers should be easily driven - due to my Marantz SR 4320 receiver (2x80W) - and slightly warm sounding. I don't want a clinical soundsignature nor harsh trebles.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoy Signature Revolution DC4 speakers have B-stock availability on ebay, and I'm sure you could make an offer succesfully within your budget for a pair. they are absolutely superb and in a different league to your other options. If you can pick a pair up, you won't regret it. I picked up a pair a few weeks ago and I have never been more pleased with a hifi purchase.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion! But they are a bit too expensive for me. Ebay is not an option for me. I want to audition before I buy speakers. In my country - e.g. Belgium - these speakers cost 999 EUR, which is about £800!ÿ

ÿ

I forgot to mention that I need to buy speaker stands too. These are not included in the aforementioned budget of £500. Would £150 be enough to buy good stands that will prevent boomy bass and eliminate most of the vibrations.ÿ

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have you considered the B&W 685s?

Paired with Partington Dreadnought stands they offer a superb soundstage and great, well timed bass weight for their size!

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
My current speakers are B&W's (DM 303) and I'd prefer to choose another brand this time. I find the sound signature a bit too dark and I want to have speakers that are more easy to drive too. Those stands you mentioned do look interesting. But are these available in my country? That could possibly be problematic.

T

the record spot

Mezzo 2s are front ported aren't they? Very nice little speaker...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Audiofoolius:My current speakers are B&W's (DM 303) and I'd prefer to choose another brand this time. I find the sound signature a bit too dark and I want to have speakers that are more easy to drive too. Those stands you mentioned do look interesting. But are these available in my country? That could possibly be problematic.

I think you'd be pleasently surprised at the sound difference between your current DM303's and the 685's

Its like chalk and cheese!

And sorry; not sure about the Partington availability

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Audiofoolius:My current speakers are B&W's (DM 303) and I'd prefer to choose another brand this time. I find the sound signature a bit too dark and I want to have speakers that are more easy to drive too. Those stands you mentioned do look interesting. But are these available in my country? That could possibly be problematic.

I think you'd be pleasently surprised at the sound difference between your current DM303's and the 685's

Its like chalk and cheese!

And sorry; not sure about the Partington availability

And that Pioneer amp was extreemly powerful for a little 50 watter - I think it had a lot of current in the output stages (or something like that!) The B&W should be really nice on that system - but try them first, they do devide opinion!

Oh and they are vastly different from those ol'B&W's you have at the moment; the treble quality will startle you from the 685s and the bass is far deeper and faster!

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you guys are right and I should give them a chance and audition them. They are by far the most widespread brand in Belgium. The problem with the hard driveability remains though....

matthewpiano

It can't harm to audition the 865s. You might like them and they are a different proposition to the DM303s.

Personally though I'd encourage you to listen to the Wharfedale EVOs you mention. I have 2 sets of Wharfedales - Diamond 9.1s in the lounge, and Diamond 8.3s in the study - and I just love their musicality and well balanced sound. My favourite loudspeaker manufacturer, still right at the very top with the best. IMO the EVOs are substantially nicer to listen to than the B&W 685s.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano: IMO the EVOs are substantially nicer to listen to than the B&W 685s.

ÿ

In what way if I may ask? A less dark sound signature? A more all-round speaker maybe?ÿ

matthewpiano

Audiofoolius:
matthewpiano: IMO the EVOs are substantially nicer to listen to than the B&W 685s.

ÿ

In what way if I may ask? A less darker sound signature? A more all-round speaker maybe?ÿ

I find all the Wharfedales I've listened to, including those EVOs, to be extremely well balanced from top to bottom of the frequency range. They are very even handed speakers and seem to strike a good balance between warmth and openess. As you say, a more all-round speaker that works well with a wide variety of music and within a wide variety of systems and rooms. I personally find the 685s a bit dull and boring and I don't like the frequency extremes on them at all. There is no way on earth that I would swap my Diamond 9.1s for the 685s. To me, having done A/B comparisons between the two, the cheaper Wharfedales are the better speaker with one of the best tweeters of any speaker under £500.

However, this is all very personal and many many people on this forum would disagree with me. The only way you will find out is by listening and deciding which you like best yourself. Just don't disregard the Wharfedales.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
That makes sense matthewpiano ;-). The speakers I'll try to audition are: Titus Triangle EX, Dali Ikon 1, Wharfedale EVO2 8 (and Diamond 9.1, you never know :)), B&W 685 and the MS Mezzo 2. Thanks guys! Although I hoped you would make my choice easier... I guess the most important part of a set are the speakers and you have to be 100% sure before you buy them.ÿ

matthewpiano

Audiofoolius:That makes sense matthewpiano ;-). The speakers I'll try to audition are: Titus Triangle EX, Dali Ikon 1, Wharfedale EVO2 8 (and Diamond 9.1, you never know :)), B&W 685 and the MS Mezzo 2. Thanks guys! Although I hoped you would make my choice easier... I guess the most important part of a set are the speakers and you have to be 100% sure before you buy them.

Absolutely. Do let us know how you get on with your auditions. Always interesting to hear other people's opinions.

A

Anonymous

You should consider the MA GS10's. I saw a pair on ebay with buy it now at £410. 5 star standmounts.

Needing to audition speakers is not a reason to discount ebay, unless you have moral quarms about going to a dealer and auditioning speakers that you want to buy on ebay under the pretense of buying them from the dealer.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Mr_Poletski:You should consider the MA GS10's. I saw a pair on ebay with buy it now at £410. 5 star standmounts.
Needing to audition speakers is not a reason to discount ebay, unless you have moral quarms about going to a dealer and auditioning speakers that you want to buy on ebay under the pretense of buying them from the dealer.

As a matter of fact I do, yes. I like the fact that I can audition hi-fi stuff and have a lot of respect for those dealers that make this possible. Some dealers provide also excellent service and professional advice. For all those reasons I will never buy large electronic devices (Hi-FI, TV's, PC's,...) via internet.Even if that means that I'll have to pay a higher price.

ÿ

I've never heard the Gold range of MA. The Bronze are ok but the Silver range is way too bright imo. At this moment in time the Gold's are without any doubt out of my league anyway. Thanks for trying to help me!

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
And the winner is... the B&W 685's!!!! I said before I'd like a different brand this time but these babies are in another league compared to my DM 303's.

ÿ

I picked them over the Titus, Ikon 1, Lektor 1, Mezzo 2 and the EVO2 8. Why? Because the B&W's are (IMO):

A) the most all-round: it handled every single piece of music I threw at it extremely well.

B) ÿthe most balanced: nothing stood out: bass was very tight and the treble wasn't piercing my ears - it seems that I am a bit sensitive for this, it probably explains why certain other models don't appeal to me as much as to others.ÿ

C) The sound is not at all fatiguing: I listened to it for more than an hour and it sounded great from beginning until the end.

D) They are not very power-hungry - important as my receiver isn't that powerful - but are said to have the ability to grow along with future upgrades.

ÿ

They are being delivered tonight.:) Thanks for the advice to listen to the 685's, guys! It would have been a huge mistake not to audition these wonderful speakers. ÿÿ

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
al7478:What did you think of the mezzo 2s?

Good speakers but the treble can sometimes be a little shrill imo. Maybe they weren't 'run in' yet or they didn't match with the Onkyo and Yamaha amps I tested them with. They were also less convincing with rock music than the 685's.

A

Anonymous

Audiofoolius:
al7478:What did you think of the mezzo 2s?

Good speakers but the treble can sometimes be a little shrill imo. Maybe they weren't 'run in' yet or they didn't match with the Onkyo and Yamaha amps I tested them with. They were also less convincing with rock music than the 685's.

I agree, the Mezzos will not sound good with an Onk receiver - very "shrill", as you said. It's because the Onkyo receivers have a lift just above the vocal range (prob around 6KHz) to give the sound more "presence" - many modern speakers are very similar and the Mezzos are a good example. The B&Ws however, have only a lift at the top of the treble (about 16KHz) which gives it a brighter sound and allows more detail to be conveyed, but not too low as to cause excessive brightness around where our hearing is at its most sensitive.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Good to hear you agree with me, Hiughes123. And you are obviously way more experienced than me - hence your convincing explanation.

ÿ

I have been listening to them for two hours now and they sound fantastic in my room! That's always a relief when buying speakers. They'll stay with me for a long time. That's for sure! ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
To be honest fella, you really should audition and you'll enjoy it...otherwise you'll always be wondering whether you've made the right choice. If I were you I would look at the AVI Neutrons too at that price, and maybe Epos m12.

ÿ

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Too late I've already bought them ;-) And AVI is not available over here - in Belgium. Home-auditioning is also very rare in my country - almost exclusive with very expensive speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts