From Marantz to Cyrus - serious upgrade?

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I currently own a Marantz PM-78 with a pair of Mission 752's. After playing this set for more than 10 years I want.. something better.

Problem is that my taste of music is rather wide, but most of the time rock based. And I've got the impression that this is not where the Marantz shines. Like in Tori Amos sounds wondeful, but with Tool it get's a little bit .. messy.

This weekend I listened to a Cyrus amplifier (6 XP and 8 XP) and whas heavily impressed. So much that I'm considering buying one. But now my question is: is this considered a serious upgrade (remember: I didn't change anything substantial in my set over more than 10 years), or am I fooling myself in thinking the Cyrus sounded great just because I want something new.... The Cyrus is here in Holland a serious expensive set (at least in my opinion :) so .... what do you think?

Regards

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
it would be worth asking if you could demo one at home for you to be sure, failing that it might mean taking your own amp with you to hear any difference. btw i would go for the 8xp as it will drive your speakers better

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My current source is a squeezebox. So I wasn't completely honest when I claimed I haven't changed my set for more than 10 years :) And to be honest: while it is a great device (and is way better on the usability front than all those DLNA-based devices out there) it does not sound better than my aged CD63-MkII KI. A simple test with an external DAC I had for a weekend showed me that Squeezebox with a good DAC (and everything FLAC of course) beats my old CD63.

Now back to the Cyrus: if I buy one I'm considering buying the 8 XP Qd, so I can plug the Squeezebox directly to the amp.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
From what I've read of the Cyrus 'house sound' (I've never heard Cyrus gear) and from owning the Freedom version of the 752 speakers, I'm not sure if they'll be a good match together... Perhaps others will be better able to expand on this or contradict me.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Incidentally, I used the Mission 752F with a Marantz PM66SE-KI amp and thought it was a bit lean. A Sansui AU-217 was a great match, so if you can find an amp erring on the warmer side of neutral, perhaps with a little bass emphasis, you might be happier...

T

the record spot

Going to echo what Dave said to be fair. I saw this thread yesterday and was interested in the possibilities that 8XP might bring. Unless Cyrus have changed their kit's sound to heavier and more substantial than it traditionally has been, then you'll have two lean sounding components. The original 752 can do bass, but it needs to have an amp or source that deliver it. I had a Marantz PM6010-KI amp, and with the SA7001-KI CDP, it was way too light. Nice detail, good rounded treble, but no bottom end.

The AU-217 will work nicely, the 717 even better. Give the Cyrus a spin though, but if you are sold on it, be prepared to change the speakers if the dynamics are a touch on the light side.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, to be honest I'm thinking that speakers would be next. Even with my PM-78 I find the 752's light on the bass, but my idea was to start with the amplifier. Have a good amplifier, and then start searching for good speakers. The other way around I'm afraid I'll end up with speakers that sound good with the Marantz, but I want to replace that anyhow.

The Cyrus had me going with it speed and detail. Way more (at least in my experience) than my Marantz.... And, although not so important, I actually like the looks :)

T

the record spot

The 752s aren't light on bass, but they are in the wrong setup. You'll be happy to hand over at least £700 and maybe more to beat their sound though. My amp delviers the low end with both movies and music. The speakers are not wanting. Something like Q Acoustics 2050s as a minimum will deliver the depth you want, or I imagine KEFs Q500 at £700 would do a job too. I'd just get a better amp myself and make sure it's got enough in the bottom end.

T

the record spot

I would compare with some others that deliver greater depth in case the Cyrus doesn't deliver what you expect. There amps out there, but it depends as much on your source too. Hope you find something suitable.

A

Anonymous

Try Naim or Densen. Probably the best, but expensive, for what you want, is Electrocompaniet.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
dave_k

I will contradict you. The Cyrus 'house sound', if there is such a thing is much more substantial than say, the Cyrus 2 of old, for example...

I have owned an 8XPd Qx. It is a great amp, but I would never persuade someone to buy or not buy it unless they had ACTUALLY listened to it. Dropping over 1800 quid on an amp just to then be dissapointed is silly...

T

the record spot

Maybe so JW, but it doesn't get away from the fact that many people relate a certain leanness to the Cyrus sound. My earlier comment around the 8XPd being a better amp, as you indicate, might well be borne out if it performs as you say. The crux really is a home loan - for that money it's a pre-requisite IMO as otherwise, what sounds great in the shop could fall flat on its face, not least if the 752s lean tendency isn't countered enough by the Cyrus.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Problem is that an amplifier AND a new set of speakers is not an option (at least for me :)). So I take it for granted to have a somewhat less than ideal setup for a time.

My dilemma remains: first choosing new speakers results probably in a good match for the Marantz, but not so for it's successor. That's the reason why I'm considering the Cyrus: first buy a new amp for my max. budget; next step new speakers.

As someone who isn't updating regularly... does this all sounds strange?

Regards

T

the record spot

You and me both. I upgrade very occasionally, albeit in the last three years, I've changed everything! New (old) amp, new CDP and new (old) 752s. Delighted with the sound now, I'd need to spend thousands buying new to beat it and I think when I said £700 for new speakers, that might even be conservative.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts