freeview v freesat is it worth it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Comet had it for £256 the other day but I think the offer codes have now finished.

Should have no problem getting it cheap after Christmas from a major retailer.

A

Anonymous

£256 for 1 1/2 hd channels and to not get these

Sky Sports News

E4

E4 +1

More 4

More 4 +1

ftn

UKTV History

abc1

The Hits

TMF

,,,,,,bargain.

daveh75

ubcool2:

£256 for 1 1/2 hd channels and to not get these

E4
E4 +1
More 4
More 4 +1

,,,,,,bargain.

really! have a look at freesat- whats on

ok you don't get sky sports news,ftn,uk history,abc1,the hits or tmf, but out of those sky sports news,uk history and the hits are the only ones worth having.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
E4, E4 + 1, More 4 , More 4+1

ARE ALL ON FREESAT!!! - School Report: Must look harder and pay attention!

There's BBC News 24, Aljazeera and Euro News on the news front. The excellent Scuzz, Chartshow TV, Vault, Zee Music, B4Music and Bubble Hits plus 29 radio stations on the music front.

So I fail to see what you're complaining about. ...and if you put the Foxsat HDR in Non Freesat mode you can get 495 Channels including Sky News and others you mentioned.

£256 expensive? - Sky HD box for £99 then pay £27 per month for your tv (£99 + 12 x £27 = £423): -

= £423 for the 1st year then £324 for every subsequent year, obviously cheaper than a one off £256!!!

Oh and on the subject of 1 1/2 HD channels. Did I mention that on Sky you only get HD on the Channels you pay for in the basic non HD package?

So you're £27 a month gets you ONE of the following exciting channel packages: Variety, News, Music, Knowledge, Children's or Style

and you only get HD on whatever is HD within that package!!

http://packages.sky.com/hd/newcustomerpricing/

School report: Must try harder in Maths lessons!

Still think Sky is better value?

A

Anonymous

The problem is at the mo is that freesat is picking up more and more channels and also with hd for a one off payment , the signal quality should also improve as well as its via sat ,so where will this leave freeview in time ? if i go sky i have to pay for it so in the long run i think freesat could be the option to go, but are the extra channels i gain worth watching or should i wait and see . But maybe in a short time they will start adding to the line up by adding top up as well for more films ?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Maybe I was a little harsh above but Ubcool2 is misinformed. Many of the channels he mentioned are on Freesat and the costs don't compare even for the most basic Sky HD package. Sure its true that there is better quality content on Sky, but only if you're prepared to pay massively for it.

It works out £684 per year for a full package with Sports and Movies & HD excluding the inital set up costs and box purchase.

TBH on Freesat I tend to watch the BBC's, ITV's, Ch4's, Five, BBCHD, Film 4, Zone Reailty and thats about it - 22 channels or so including their plus 1 versions.

Most of the others don't interest me although from time to time Movies 4 men or a similar channel may carry a decent film also. I think whatever platform you go for, the reality is the majority of it is going to be rubbish you simply won't watch. This applies to Sky as well as Freesat.

As to whether the extra Freesat channels are worth it, thats personal preference. Film 4 has lots of great movies. ITV 2 also carries many movies, ITV 3 sometimes as well and the BBC HD channel has some stunning content at times - the Ian Flemming documentary stands out for me as one of the best picture quality wise and surprisingly Planet Earths Artic programme as one of the worst - they even use an advert for HD from it of a polar bear sliding down the ice that looks totally out of focus!!! Hmm like to know who made that decision! I like the "Cops" series on Zone Reality although that has now finished. Think of it as fly on the wall not one of these silly documentaries with commentary. Its literally a camera crew with US police officers when on Emergency Calls. No voice overs, maybe a short interview after the incident but nothing else. I guess like anything its personal preference but as a whole, there's far more to watch than on analogue terrestrial. Freeview probably has slightly more content with Dave and Fiver etc but that may change over time. Its horses for courses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts