FrankHarveyHIFI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a pair of Kef Q100's, i can't see any review's online, any chance you could give me your thought's on the Q100'S? i love them, they are perfect for listening at my pc desk, also, do they perform at there best bi-wired?

thank's jim.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, they will perform better bi-wired, and if you can't do that, make up some little jumper cables to connect the terminals together.

They're perfect for near field monitoring, as all frequencies emanate from the same point - you can sit as close as you like and the sound won't change, as it would with more conventional speakers. They're fast, detailed, and are good for picking out small, wavering variations in bass notes as they're pretty neutral.

What will help them is that you have a decent amp to drive them with - many people will put them with entry level amps, which they'll sound fine with - they're not hard to drive, but pop on a better amp and they just get better. Although I've not tried them with the Caspian, I suspect they go together quite well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks david, i am happy with the sound of the speakers straight out of the box, i am sure given a few day's the sound will improve even more, i have tried sitting in different postions and the soundstage just stay's the same, these speakers are great!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They will continue to improve after about 50 hours, but you might find they continue to bed in even more over a longer period. It could be said that the Q100 and Q300 are actually the stronger models, as ALL frequencies come from a single point, whereas the floor standing models do come from a couple of points, even if they are lower frequencies.

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, I just won a pair on ebay today.

Supposedly I can "Biamp" them with my Marantz MCR502 and actually run from the two output stages. I would need 2 sets of regular speaker cable for this? Or I can Run BiWire cable from just one output stage? The 2 output stages can have different "characteristics presets" which could produce some interesting results :/.

I imagine I could put a big split in a biwire cable to do the former too, as the stages are quite near eachother physically on the back.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As you have a system with two pairs of speaker outputs, you may as well use both, so you'll need either a four core bi-wire cable, or two pairs of two core cables, and run set A to the top terminals on the speakers, and set B to the lower terminals.

Don't forget to 'unscrew' the two nobs on the back until the reveal the yellow markings.

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
thanks!

electronically I can't understand the basis for bi-wiringing unless the speaker has bad connectors internally, or effectively it is thicker cable, seems to be a heated topic so will not get in to it...

Bi-amping does make sense to me though. Especially in this case, the amplification stage will be working quite differently so I would expect a different result, though not necessarily better or worse. I will have to try both and see what I prefer.

A

Anonymous

Enjoy your new Q100'S, i love mine, i would gone for the larger Q300's but i dont have the room for those hefty cabnets, the smaller Q100's are perfect room size and sound fantastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts