Forget 8K and 100-inch gimmickry – trust me, just get an OLED TV this Cyber Monday

Azzuro

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
I find it nonsensical to compare a deal on a 55" OLED with a 98" LED TV. We are talking over 3x the screen size. If one has the viewing distance (which is a large chunk of people) of 3-4m or 10-13 feet then it not even a fair comparison. Even if the OLED is clearly superior on quality, nothing beats the immersion - simple physics. Also, 55" is NOT big enough for most people if they care about home video (i.e the people that read articles from this site and who read the magazine). To get any form of proper immersion from 55" you need to sit 6-7 feet away which is VERY close. These days 65" is becoming the minimum size for most living rooms. I do agree, however, with 8K - that is superfluous with close to zero native content available.

asmidir

Nov 27, 2023
Visit site
There's something about immersion that supersedes absolute quality and 98" for £2000 is very difficult to ignore, if you've got the space!

I'm considering it and I've got a 65" LG OLED

shott92

Nov 27, 2023
Visit site
The problem is with OLEDs that always goes untold is that in brightly lit rooms where the TV is mounted opposite a south facing window, they're just very expensive black mirrors. I tried an old, but all I could see was the reflection of outside... I took it back after a week, replaced with a miniLED and much more satisfied with the viewability

EngineEar1000

Nov 27, 2023
Visit site
You are aware that QLED is LCD, not OLED?

There's no comparison between the two. And I strongly suspect Samsung created the QLED name as a cynical way to fool people who think they are getting a version of OLED.

Ian AV

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Take it from me, a 55" OLED or 92" projector, there's no comparison. Projector every time, more detail, more emersion, we don't watch a movie, we're part of it. Oh, we do have Dolby Atmos as intended with ceiling speakers and plenty of power, which adds to the overall experience. Just wish I had room for a 120" or 160" but my main speakers won't allow it.
BTW. I'm British.

TRENDING THREADS