Focal tools.. any experience?

bigfish786 said:
has anyone ever used this? and is it any good?

i'm thinking about having a play around tomorrow.

http://www.focal.com/en/content/437-position-of-hifi-stereo-speakers

TBPH, dunno. I suppose it could come down to price. If it's a cheap as chips it maybe worth it, otherwise put on a favourite track and just judge it.

Are the speakers booming or too trebly? If you could tell us the problem....

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Listening to sine waves is somewhat similar to listening to some modern music :) Not that interesting.

The issue really is firstly how are u measuring the sound from the test tones and secondly what do u do about it. PP is right unless u are seriously measuring response and are willing and able to make changes.

As PP asks - what are your perceived issues?

akrapovic58

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I think this is basic speaker setup.

In my local audio store the guy was applying the [3 = 1 = 2] and [tweater = ear hight] rule every time again.

So not only changing the cables to other speakers but also relocating them over and over again.

When I asked him why he did this, he told me those where the two most basic Hi-Fi rules...

[figure F] is also very important. Speakers need space to breath. Space will influent mainly the lower frequencies (aswell as the accoustics of the room)

So yes, this is very important :dance:

position-speaker1.jpg

grave-enceintes.jpg

I have no specific issues at all guys, i was just wondering if anyone had used the focal tools to set up their own speakers? or anything similar?

i'm going to burn a disc today, just to see what sort of results i get.

because i've basically got all new components i just want to make sure i'm getting the best performance. (ocd)

bigfish786 said:
I have no specific issues at all guys, i was just wondering if anyone had used the focal tools to set up their own speakers? or anything similar?

because i've basically got all new components i just want to make sure i'm getting the best performance. (ocd)

Watch this - it may help (5.20 speaker positioning)

http://www.whathifi.com/video/get-the-best-from-your-hi-fi

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

I can highly recommend 'room equalisation wizard' (REW). Free software, which with the addition of a couple of inexpensive bits of hardware allows comprehensive room and system analysis.

Playing a few tones through your system without measuring equipment will be fun, but thats about all.

akrapovic58

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

Just play around with everything... The only one who will not like you turning your living room upside down is your wife :cheer:

well, i downloaded the Focal tools files and burnt a cd. i put it in the rega, i think it was a bit too much for the poor thing, it didn't like it one bit, so i put it in the Arcam Dv79 and played it... 20 mins of noise later and i'm none the wiser. oh well, thats an hour of my life i wont get back.

one surprise was the Dv79 with a music cd in it. with the leema amp it actually sounded half decent. so thats a bonus.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Listening to sine waves is somewhat similar to listening to some modern music :) Not that interesting.

The issue really is firstly how are u measuring the sound from the test tones and secondly what do u do about it. PP is right unless u are seriously measuring response and are willing and able to make changes.

As PP asks - what are your perceived issues?

You were warned. :)

The Arcam is not bad, but its not great either. partnered with the arcam amp it sounded very digital, itchy! it didn't sing. i'd replaced an Arcam dv88 as the dv79 has hdmi. the dv88 was far better with music. so, i always considered the Dv79 the weak link, and was the first piece of kit i upgraded.

the Rega Apollo is better in every way. an absolutely marvelous piece of kit. for producing music it is the dogs wotsits. it can be a bit temperamental, it doesn't always do what it is supposed to do. but i think that makes me like it even more!

if i were to replace it, i'd definitely go rega again. possibly the saturn-r. the sound is addictive. i've probably doubled the amount of music i listen to since buying it, it had that much of an effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts