Floorstanders for Musical Fidelity M3.5 system?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I really like my system
MF 3.5 CD and amp, Monitor Audio GS10 speakers on filled stands, Chord Chorus 2 interconnect, Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable

But misssing deep bass on some music. I had initially considered buying a good sub woofer but it strikes me I can probably get a better deal by selling the GS10s on that internet auction site and snapping up some end of line GS20s or even GS60s. However whilst the GS10s are superbly accurate and detailed they can sound a little cool.

Are there any options I should be condidering? Particularly which can give me the same detail but a little more warmth?

If Rick can give any insight:
Room 4m by 3m carpeted over wood suspended floor, leather 3 piece suite
Speakers will be positioned against solid brick wall (current arrangement standmounts away from bay window pending iminnent room r-organisation)
Favourite music, Mahler symphonies, Beethoven string quartets, Joni Mitchel, Led Zepplin (3), Bob Dylan (Blood on the Tracks), Beth Orton etc

Budget max £2k but ideally a lot less. I'd rather not get something so good that it has me back next year asking for advice on a new pre/power amp...

Thanks

PS Why can't I post in rich text format anymore (on any of my computers)?

A

Anonymous

Don't go for the GS60's, you'd need to bi-amp with A3.5's at least to make a good go of them. I suggest trying ProAc studio 140's. I've had extensive testing with the 130 and 140 with MF kit and the results are truly great!

Kevin Stephens said:
I really like my system MF 3.5 CD and amp, Monitor Audio GS10 speakers on filled stands, Chord Chorus 2 interconnect, Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable But misssing deep bass on some music. I had initially considered buying a good sub woofer but it strikes me I can probably get a better deal by selling the GS10s on that internet auction site and snapping up some end of line GS20s or even GS60s. However whilst the GS10s are superbly accurate and detailed they can sound a little cool. Are there any options I should be condidering? Particularly which can give me the same detail but a little more warmth? If Rick can give any insight: Room 4m by 3m carpeted over wood suspended floor, leather 3 piece suite Speakers will be positioned against solid brick wall (current arrangement standmounts away from bay window pending iminnent room r-organisation) Favourite music, Mahler symphonies, Beethoven string quartets, Joni Mitchel, Led Zepplin (3), Bob Dylan (Blood on the Tracks), Beth Orton etc Budget max £2k but ideally a lot less. I'd rather not get something so good that it has me back next year asking for advice on a new pre/power amp... Thanks PS Why can't I post in rich text format anymore (on any of my computers)?

Hi Kevin Stephens

The speakers which i feel you also need to consider are ATC's SCM40 monitors (although they have a RRP of £2400). The SCM40 monitors with their closed box design and more importantly flat and honest presentation enables them to be positioned close to walls, corners with much greater ease without the LF getting itself into a twist.

The SCM40 monitors offer a significant improvement particularly in LF and superb mid range reproduction (thanks to the legendary original studio Soft Dome). The MF components have enough 'warmth' which the SCM40's will compliment nicely without colouring the sound and therefore masking detail. SCM40 monitors will help reproduce the power of the sound :)

I've got quite a few clients happily using ATC passive monitors (including SCM40's) with various MF electronics (including A3.5 amp/cd player). Fwiw, i feel SCM40 monitors are probably the VFM speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

Btw, SCM40 monitors have got a big performance potential so they can easily accomodate and reveal differences with even higher specification electronics :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

All good suggestions above. But just to throw a curve ball into the mix.

The GS10s are excellent speakers and matched with a very good sealed subwoofer, I believe you will be very happy with the results. A good sealed subwoofer will go deeper than the GS60s and provide you with a full painted picture of the music.

Only caution to note is that subwoofer integration and room acoustics will play a massive roll in how well the subwoofer performs in this setup.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Or, to follow on from that, a pair of subwoofers, giving a more even in room bass response, and better imaging. This would be case of weighing up two lesser subs against one greater one though.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Three years on. I'm enjoying an amazing evening's music with my new SVS PG-2000 sub operating with my GS10s, integration seems so far to be seamless. Not just on bass heavy rock or classical but vocals seem to have much more presence too (in quite a subtle way). To me adding a good sub to good standmounts is a no-brainer compared to trading in for new floor standers. Alao much more flexible in positioning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts