floorstander dilemna

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
hi,

im about to take the plunge and buy my first serious hi-fi system. i've auditioned the new cyrus cd6se, 8vs2 amp and mourdant short mezzo 6 floorststanders, at the local dealer. it sounded amazing. after using micro systems for years, i couldn't believe how good my cd's sounded. however, my problem is this: the local dealer won't do a deal. so, i've looked about, and seen a great deal at a shop much further away, but, instead of the mezzo 6's it comes with the tannoy revolution signature dc4t. has anyone listened to the tannoys? are they a good match for the cyrus? i love the mezzo's, but, when i'm spending over £2000, i want to be able to barter a deal.

any info on the tannoys would be much appreciated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You're right. For that sort of money (or any for that matter) you should expect a discount or accessories with the goods.His margins on the stufff are very healthy so he is either very tight or close to closing down ... in which case there may be bargains to be had soon. Normally I'd say its not fair to use their facilities to audition then buy somewhere else but I'd do the same in this case. The dealer is too inflexible.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dealers too have favorite products, its normal and its not always profit related. A friend which runs a local hifi shop would never try and tell anyone what they should buy. He almost comes over as unknowledgeable and normally just says ... 'does it? Did they say that? No idea but why dont you listen to it? He's also a musician and has been in the trade for many years. What he does'nt know about the products he stocks (and they change from year to year, they started stocking Naim last year and additions this year include rega and flying mole) is not worth knowing. If you're nice, you get a discount. You want a home trial, if they can do it (usually over the w/end for obvious reasons) you got it. Want a dem? No problem, no rush. Just dont ask him for an opinion an a particular item. The most favorable response is ... Yeah, its good ... but more often you'll hear ... no it's poo, thats why we stock it.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Dealers too have favorite products, its normal and its not always profit related. A friend which runs a local hifi shop would never try and tell anyone what they should buy. He almost comes over as unknowledgeable and normally just says ... 'does it? Did they say that? No idea but why dont you listen to it? He's also a musician and has been in the trade for many years. What he does'nt know about the products he stocks (and they change from year to year, they started stocking Naim last year and additions this year include rega and flying mole) is not worth knowing. If you're nice, you get a discount. You want a home trial, if they can do it (usually over the w/end for obvious reasons) you got it. Want a dem? No problem, no rush. Just dont ask him for an opinion an a particular item. The most favorable response is ... Yeah, its good ... but more often you'll hear ... no it's poo, thats why we stock it.
I like the sound of that man, although hopefully he'd give his experiences on the brand's service/product quality.

A

Anonymous

Audio manufactures and dealers ARE NOT charities, no one is entitled to a discount, does your boss ask you for a discount at the end of your weeks work work? Do you give him a discount?....I thought not.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
tell you what silly i'd like to sell to you!!!! i have never paid full price for any piece of kit i ve bought and i've bought a lot - and if they wouldn't deal i would walk away - i've also never paid a delivery charge for anything i've bought long distance.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
all hail saint silly! more fool you for paying full price for products that some healthy bartering would get you a discount on. oh, and i'm my own boss.

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:tell you what silly i'd like to sell to you!!!! i have never paid full price for any piece of kit i ve bought and i've bought a lot - and if they wouldn't deal i would walk away - i've also never paid a delivery charge for anything i've bought long distance.

My hero, well done.

A

Anonymous

bretty:all hail saint silly! more fool you for paying full price for products that some healthy bartering would get you a discount on. oh, and i'm my own boss.

And so I am, since the day I left school and that was a while a go. If you notice the signature you'll notice something else.

A

Anonymous

chebby:silly:If you notice the signature you'll notice something else.

Just looked at your website. Nice looking stuff there. I wish you luck with finding dealers.

Unfortunately my dealer would use your gear as stops to wedge open the dem room doors when hoovering the red carpet he keeps for customers of that Salisbury company.

Thanks for your comments..

Maybe your dealer would get a bit of a shock if he heard them, he soon wouldn't use them as door stops.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
silly:Audio manufactures and dealers ARE NOT charities, no one is entitled to a discount, does your boss ask you for a discount at the end of your weeks work work? Do you give him a discount?....I thought not.

So you never ask for any discount?
emotion-2.gif

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I take it one step further and never buy new. Ive spent quite a bit (relativly so - i am a student) on hi fi and have found that ex dem deals are awesome. You can pick up stuff for a good 25-30 percent off retail an in most cases its as new and comes with the usual guarantee. For example my speakers retail at 1600 and i paid 1200 for a immaculate exdem pair. 400 POUND SAVING! :)

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
silly:Audio manufactures and dealers ARE NOT charities, no one is entitled to a discount, does your boss ask you for a discount at the end of your weeks work work? Do you give him a discount?....I thought not.

emotion-2.gif

Yes, but it depends on a number of factors. What we are discussing here is if we are entitled to one, and I think no we are not entitled to one, 90% of the time you will get one, but you wasn't entitled to it as a right per se.

Going back to the OP, the chap has heard gear he likes, he has used someone facilities to hear it, someones demo time, but wasn't offered a discount and now wants to risk another pair of speakers over the sake of a discount, the dealer is probably thinking, I let him listen before purchasing, my demo room that needs paying for and my time, isn't that worth my margin? Margins are not profits, out of that so called big margins comes out his overheads, so the 10% may not seem a lot but add lots of 10% and it could be difference of the dealer/manufacture paying their overheads.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
silly:drummerman:

emotion-2.gif

Yes, but it depends on a number of factors. What we are discussing here is if we are entitled to one, and I think no we are not entitled to one, 90% of the time you will get one, but you wasn't entitled to it as a right per se.

Going back to the OP, the chap has heard gear he likes, he has used someone facilities to hear it, someones demo time, but wasn't offered a discount and now wants to risk another pair of speakers over the sake of a discount, the dealer is probably thinking, I let him listen before purchasing, my demo room that needs paying for and my time, isn't that worth my margin? Margins are not profits, out of that so called big margins comes out his overheads, so the 10% may not seem a lot but add lots of 10% and it could be difference of the dealer/manufacture paying their overheads.

You're right, normally I would say that its not fair to use someones time (dem room) and then go off to look for a better deal. However, in this case, a quite substantial purchase of 2k+ clearly warrants a discount or free accessories, absolutely no doubt whatsoever! If I tell you what the mark ups are on a lot of products you'd be amazed! The english being english, most would'nd dare ask for a discount anyway, its much more prevelant on the continent. Dealer ships have to be competitive without being silly. Price ain't everything. There's a lot to be said about the facilities, back-up, service and the possibility of good trade ins/upgrade deals but a few percent off an item, whether the thing costs 150 quid or three grand does'nt hurt the dealer, especially if he gains a loyal customer and the repeat business coming with it. Its simply common sense/shrude business.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i think part of the above is fair but i think you should always ask for discount or perhaps to have a free interconnect or something thrown in.

It also depends on the original deal - if the price he was given was list and the dealer not prepared to budge that's onething - if the dealer was already offering a discount and have asked for more thats another. No store will ever sell at a loss and there is a point at which they must walk away.

there is always a battle of the store wanting the most they can get and you wanting to get it as cheap as possible but there is always a point where it is beneficial for both and feeling like you have got a good deal.

The op obviously wasn't happy with the deal so walked away to compare it - thats perfectly reasonable - he now has time to decide whether to purchase from first store at that price or buy from other retailer.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
oh and in relation to your original question - i have heard the dc4 and dc6t and both were very good in terms of both sound and build - i personally think are better looking than the mezzos

A

Anonymous

drummerman:if I tell you what the mark ups are on a lot of products you'd be amazed!

I know what the mark up is, but again this doesn't tell us the whole story, we can open a box of electronics and think there's not much in their to warrent such prices. There are so many factors that make hifi cost what it does, which the final end user has to pay for, very briefly, each product needs developing, if you want a good high quality product this takes many many months of peoples time in testing, measuring, listening, then MOQ orders of parts, then CE approval, then ROHS approval, then stocking, then shipping, these are just the simple basics before a product hits the shop, the dealer then requires his margins, which once you've taken out the overheads of business ownerships costs his final profits are very small, 10% may sound like chicken feed of a discount, but when you think someones margin isn't there profit you soon come realise that the 10% or whatever can be the difference of surviving or dying, so that's why I say we shouldn't expect one just because we think the margins are high, if the margins and profits were that good more people would be doing it with less dealerships closing down.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
i've opened pandora's box with this topic!

the local dealer i went to offered no discount or accessories, and was selling at retail price.

thanks for your input on the speakers. that was the point of this topic and you're the only one who replied. so, thanks again buddy. One more thing: what i liked most about the mordaunt shorts was the transparancy of the sound. are the tannoys a similar vein?

A

Anonymous

Discounts are normal, markup on audio equipment is very high, and when people buy a full system I'm always willing (and able) to offer them a decent price. It usually depends on what they buy and obviously how much, but most of the time I'm able to thrown in some free accessoires or round off the prices.

As for the speakers, I've never heard the Tannoy's but I'm not impressed with the Mezzo's. Try another demo with the Cyrus kit and the Tannoy's, and you might even like the sound better. If the dealer is willing to give you a discount, then all the better.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that some dealers DO discount so there is no reason to buy from a place that wont do any. Its logical that you will want to spend the least to get your equipment. I agree with drummerman that if you take up a companys time demoing etc you should be obliged buy from them. However if a company is refusing to get competitive with there price it leaves the consumer with little choice.

A

Anonymous

i work in the hi fi industry. people think we make loads of money on every thing we sell and we can just knock off £100 cos thay ask. dont work like that the delers have to make money as well or there would be none so you would have to get it all off the net. so with that no demos or home try outs. when you go in and look at the prices do thay say £599.99 ONO. i think not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts