Flexy table - Hi-fi abomination or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all I have been using a shelf all along on which to mount my hi-fi system (its primary purpose is to keep books), and I came across the TNT Flexy table on TNT's site. I don't have much money to spend on a rack, and the all the good hi-fi racks here are hand-built and hard-to-come-by and therefore extremely expensive. Is it worth it? Thanks zimble01

A

Anonymous

Hi, I made myself a TNT flexi rack recently, its easily the best thing I've ever made! it cost me around £40, I would recommend it to anyone. Although I suppose if you have a a high end system forking out for a rack ain't so bad. But to answer your question, its worth it!

A

Anonymous

Hands down worth it. I have one as well. Racks ridiculous. Besides which if you sink a wee bit of money into materials it can look cooler than anything for ten times the price.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Brisk and Mr. Palmer!

This is good news (kind of what I was hoping to hear)! However, just two questions: did you use that damping paint that Mimmo at TNT recommended? I can't get any over here unless I pay $300 for shipping, so it rather defeats the object. What sort of wood did you use -- MDF or solid wood (which is less inert acoustically)?

Cheers
Zach

A

Anonymous

I used MDF. I believe it's more inert. As for damping, used the sticky care audio damping pads, stick them to the underside of each shelf.

A

Anonymous

I used MDF too, it seems the most logical, hassle free, widely available, cost effective and consistent in structure material to work with. Although due to the metric to imperial conversions I was unable to find the MDF in 20mm, had to settle for 18mm. I had the same problem with the rod, only finding 16mm instead of 18mm. I also didn't have the end of the rod turned, or use damping spray as recommended. All in all my version was inconsistent with the designs but, Im still thrilled with the results, its is only my first try after all, the next one will be more true to the plans.

A

Anonymous

I had similar problems. Although I should note that the flexy is also strong. I've had many tube amps on mine, the heaviest weighing in at almost 80lbs (top shelf), and everything remained nice and stable. As for turning, speakers need to be grounded, racks should be isolated. I've got vibrapods on the ends of my legs.

A

Anonymous

No doubt stable. I've been looking for something similar to the vibrapods, I'm guessing you went for the model 5, as its for the heaviest equipment? There doesn't seem to be any indication of the diameter of the hole, did they fit your thread alright? Cheers

A

Anonymous

I suppose you used three legs (instead of four) as recommended?

Zach

A

Anonymous

Three legs.

I can't remember which ones I used, I'd had them lying about for a while. I attached them with construction glue.

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm... You didn't use threaded rods then, or how? It looks like it in another post in which you posted a photo of you set up (I believe it was "cable cobbling" which is now (no comment) locked. I must admit slight confusion here! You had used interesting wood -- looks like veneered MDF?

A

Anonymous

I saw the post, it is threaded rod, just think the camera flash and angle makes it look like its not. As for the wood, that baffles me too! If you want to see what a plain MDF rack looks like I can post some images?

A

Anonymous

Ah yes. I used better quality MDF for the top shelf (I had some laying about) and crappy MDF for the remaining shelves. The difference is entirely cosmetic, the better MDF allowed veneer tape along the edges but the poor stuff wouldn't accept it. Then I stained the whole thing dark brown.

A

Anonymous

Brisk, please do post some photos -- I'd like to see what an "unfinished" finished product looks like. Ray, if you used threaded rods, then what do you mean by "attached them with construction glue"? I am baffled once more. I hate to beat a dead horse here, but they often seem to have jewels in them (dead horses, that is).

A

Anonymous

First time I've posted photos, so here goes nothing! Before the comments come in about the speaker on top of the rack, don't worry in getting some stands soon. I only have a small room as I'm living in a shared house

2457604650_d23aa015cd.jpg

2457604276_e8a6b8a623.jpg

2456775695_0eb2a4f9c8.jpg

A

Anonymous

Nice looking brisk! Looks better than mine!

I used construction glue to attach the vibrapods, it was the easiest/strongest option.

A

Anonymous

Cheers raypalmer, I do think the natural mdf colour suits the silver equipment. Will have to try the vibrapods soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts