flac through i tunes?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
no, not natively.

You can recode the FLAC to AIFF, which iTunes can play and will give you better quality. The only downside is that the files will be a fair bit bigger (50%).

Search for "FLAC to AIFF" in google...

(jinx)...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Actually, if you are ripping from CD, Apple Lossless (ALAC) is the way to go and gives the same quality as FLAC (or any other lossless codec for that matter).

But if you are downloading from a premium music site (say Linn or Naim), then you would have to convert the FLAC to AIFF to keep the higher bitrate.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:But if you are downloading from a premium music site (say Linn or Naim), then you would have to convert the FLAC to AIFF to keep the higher bitrate.

Why cant you just convert to alac?

A

Anonymous

At present i am using apple lossless on itunes, i do change every now and then to compare the quality

A

Anonymous

I would also like to add,i still dont believe it doesnt better the quality of a cd-i playback through a cyrus cd player

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chefsmusic:I would also like to add,i still dont believe it doesnt better the quality of a cd-i playback through a cyrus cd player

I don't doubt that - pass the lossless files through a DAC and you would change your tune.

A

Anonymous

ok excuse my ignorance but how do i do that-whats the best option?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Won't the AV amp the OP is using have a DAC built in?

EDIT the real boost in sound quality would come with the purchase of a dedicated 2 channel amp...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chefsmusic:I would also like to add,i still dont believe it doesnt better the quality of a cd-i playback through a cyrus cd player

So you believe it DOES better the quality of your CD player then?

A

Anonymous

I actually mean the Cd player sounds better,i have now run a cable from imac to the back of my cyrus cd player-seems better.

Will look to see if denon has dac built in,i am sure it does.

manicm

Don't know what your reasons for not choosing ALAC may be, but if space is not at a premium I love AIFF - and it is quite a universal format - it supports album art (unlike WAV), and Sonos, iPods, Duets and Linn DS play it. And my eccentric ears like it more than ALAC.

A

Anonymous

ok well i think i have changed everything to AIFF and will see how i go,i have changed the setting so will it automatically play them all in this format,i imagine i will notice the difference anyway.

A

Anonymous

I just have two seperate directories, Flac playing back through Winamp (which pretty much plays back everything)

I use this for all my classical Cd's and music I enjoy listening to critically.

THen for all the other stuff I used Itunes at various bitrates (I use Lame encoder using about 256 variable bit rate) which is a good compromise between file size and quality. I have entry level hifi and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a flac and an mp3 over 320mbps. A bit more "air" and three dimensionality in the FLAC.

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Actually what i do is convert my flac files through a program called (Riverpast Audio Converter) into AIFF then import them into iTunes and convert them again into Apple lossless to save some space, personally after really studying some of the music i know, there is know difference worth talking about between them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts