First systems

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just typed up an article and the darn forum has, once again, erased everything.

Wouldnt even let me 'disable rich text' or whatever it is called.

Nice. I now will spend my time on something more productive, like choosing nail polish.

regards

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Knowing how trouble-prone this forum is with opening posts, if you've typed a thesis, get into the habit of pressing Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C before pressing 'submit'.

My first system...hard question because I'd been getting hand-me-downs from my dad's and brother's HiFis from being about 12. The first complete system I bought with my own money was an Akai midi system in 1985, when I was 16. Highlights were the tuner and cassette deck which were really quite good. Lowlights were the turntable and speakers which were really quite shocking. Speakers were top heavy with absolutely no bass from their sealed enclosures and 6" drivers. Turntable had an Audio Technica P-mount cartridge branded as an Akai, and would have been good had it not been for the awful cheap plastic build-quality and the permanent motor-hum transmitted through the plastic. At least the platter was metal. Amp was ok if not spectacular.

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember my very first so called hi-fi..... but the first one that sounded ok was CD63, Dual amp (it sounded better than the Rotel on offer at the time) and Tannoy speakers (the ones that were triangle shape....well sort of....)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The subject was actually something completely different but hey ... this will do just as well for the moment.

Thanks Major, I will try and remember that

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sansui SR222 MkII turntable with Grado F3E+ cartridge.

Sansui_SR-222_MKII.jpg

NAD 3020 amplifier.

images

Celestion County loudspeakers.

8109221102_ab2c8d595c_m.jpg

Sennheiser HD414 headphones.

images

Second-hand Sony ST-88 tuner.

2705198148_2d4cffff13_m.jpg

Technics cassette deck. (Can't remember which model.)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Better list mine;

Jamo D265, a Technics Tape Deck, a cd player of unknown origin and 3/4 size and a lovely Marantz receiver that lit up like a christmas tree

regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audiotronic ACD 770D cassette deck + Teleton GA 203 + Speakers - Hand Made (by me)

First Turntable................Trio KD 1033 + Ortofon ff 15e cart (I think)

First proper speakers.....Keesonic Kubs

A

Anonymous

Mine was a dual cs501 TT, Yamaha A300 amp and Morduant Short MS20s circa 1984/5. Up graded the TT to a revolver in 85/6 and still using it today with an ortofon 2m red.

I remember hearing a triangle being played on a track on Sade's Diamond Life LP that I hadn't previously heard. That was me hooked on the hifi thing. The joy of discovering something new in your music is what it's all about for me.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
mine was a Trio 3020 amp, Trio DP100 cd player and Wharfedale Delta speakers with some cable from Woolies around 1986

I thought it sounded great!

matthewpiano

My first system was given to my by my Dad when I was 8 and consisted of Pioneer PL12D, an Amstrad amp (which he soon changed to a lovely Sansui AU2200 for me) and a pair of Wharfedale Chevin speakers (eventually changed to some Solavox ones made by Wharfedale).

The first full system I purchased myself was a Sony CDP-597, Rotel RA-920AX and a pair of B&W DM302 speakers. I loved those B&Ws just like I love my 685s now.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

The first system I put together was when I was a skint student and consisted of the following:-

Sugden A48 mark III amp which I still have in the loft. As an aside if anyone knows where I can lay my hands on the front panel and some knobs for it, then let me know. It suffered a dog attack some years ago and is in bit of a sorry state.

Dual CS-503-1 Record deck, pretty lightweight but didn't sound too bad

Denon DCD-620 CD player. Tried a half width Sony player but it couldn't hold a candle to the record deck so it went back the day after I bought it.

Linn Index II speakers

Bit of a mish mash but it sounded pretty decent to me.

Cheers

Steve

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yamaha tape deck (KX-580 I think)

YamahaKX580.jpg

Kenwood graphic equalizer (not this model but one very similar)

kenwood.jpg

Refurbished vintage JVC amplifier (the power amps had been fried but the pre-amp and controls were working fine so two 30 watt mosfet amplifiers were used to replace the original power amplifiers)

JVCJA-S111.jpg

Mission 760iSE speakers

760.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts