First Proper Audio Setup

Reubeng

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello, im new to the forums and was looking for a little bit of advice.

I am looking to obtain my first 'proper' audio setup, I currently have a Rotel RA-812 amp with a pair of eltax ct-600 floorstand speakers(all old and given to me for free from my parents years ago). I run all of my audio through my computer with an external soundblaster sound card. i have a pair of sennheiser 558s mainly chosen for comfort as i spent too much time at my computer, i am not too pleased with the audio quality but could possibly be other factors in my setup causing this.I have been looking at the Schiit Magni and Modi 2 as a setup but am unsure if i can hook speakers up to this or not and the importance of a dac in a setup.

Bascially i am after a Dac, an Amp, bookshelf speakers and possibly another pair of headphones.

I have no clue about an amp but the Pioneer VSX-529 AV receiver just came on offer for £160, but again i dont know if that can even do what i need it to. But somthing that price or less for an amp.

The speakers i had in mind were the Q acoustic 2010i or somthing in a similar price point.

I really have no idea about the Dac and if i actually need one, but was not looking to spend over £100 for it, depending on the prices of the other items.

And the headphones i was looking at were the AKG 550s.

Sorry for the post to ask for help but i am completely lost here.

Thank you, ReubenG :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Reubeng said:
I am looking to obtain my first 'proper' audio setup, I currently have a Rotel RA-812 amp with a pair of eltax ct-600 floorstand speakers(all old and given to me for free from my parents years ago). I run all of my audio through my computer with an external soundblaster sound card. i have a pair of sennheiser 558s mainly chosen for comfort as i spent too much time at my computer, i am not too pleased with the audio quality but could possibly be other factors in my setup causing this.I have been looking at the Schiit Magni and Modi 2 as a setup but am unsure if i can hook speakers up to this or not and the importance of a dac in a setup.

No, you can't run speakers off the Magni and Modi 2. The Magni is a headphone amp so you can only use it for headphones. It looks like you could use it as a preamp for some active or powered speakers with the uber upgrade. The Modi is a DAC, which may or may not give a large improvement depending on the quality of your soundcard.

Reubeng said:
Bascially i am after a Dac, an Amp, bookshelf speakers and possibly another pair of headphones.

I have no clue about an amp but the Pioneer VSX-529 AV receiver just came on offer for £160, but again i dont know if that can even do what i need it to. But somthing that price or less for an amp.

It will work, and probably has an inbuilt DAC, so you there would be no need to buy an external DAC, but I'm not sure that it would provide the improvement in sound quality you are looking for.

Reubeng said:
The speakers i had in mind were the Q acoustic 2010i or somthing in a similar price point.

I really have no idea about the Dac and if i actually need one, but was not looking to spend over £100 for it, depending on the prices of the other items.

And the headphones i was looking at were the AKG 550s.

At those prices I'm not really sure that you'll see much of an improvement. Other members might be able to suggest good bang for you buck DAC/headphone amp combinations such as from Beresford or Beringer.

Overall, your budget is very low, so I'm not sure you'll get much improvement. Maybe just a different, rather than better, sound. You may or may not prefer that difference. The AKGs are good, very detailed headphones, but can sound very bass light, so definitely trial them first.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As so often with tight budgets the best value comes from avoiding the usual mainstream product.

If you are going to buy new then I would look at the Audio Engine D1, a dac, headphone amp and preamp all in one driving a pair of active (studio type) speakers such as the Presonus Eris 5 or the Yamaha HS5.

Minimal bling, but outstanding performance at the price, less than £400 if you look around. (in the uk/EU anyway).

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with DDC on this one, with a tight budget active monitors are probably the best way to go. The Audio Engine for the dac seems a good place to start.

Reubeng

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

But im confused, are you saying that this budget cannot achieve a decent level of audio quality? or are you compairing to high end audio setups?

I have never owned any high end audio gear cannot miss what i have never had, i was just looking for an entry level system and some advice on whats good and what should be avoided. I understand that this budget cannot buy audiophile level equipment but was not aware that audio equipment at this price level is awful?

Again i thank you for the replies and help thus far.

ReubenG

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Reubeng said:
Thanks for the replies,

But im confused, are you saying that this budget cannot achieve a decent level of audio quality? or are you compairing to high end audio setups?

I have never owned any high end audio gear cannot miss what i have never had, i was just looking for an entry level system and some advice on whats good and what should be avoided. I understand that this budget cannot buy audiophile level equipment but was not aware that audio equipment at this price level is awful?

Again i thank you for the replies and help thus far.

ReubenG

It depends on how you define 'decent' 'good' and 'awful'.

This is, supposedly, a hi-fi forum and your total budget is, at a guess, under £500. In hi-end terms that is not even going to buy you a dac.

You could buy an inexpensive reciever, preferably a stereo one such as the Yamaha R-N301 or R-N500 and a pair of Q Acoustic speakers but you will still have to rely on your sound card for a digital output. Nothing wrong with this at all, decent enough system but pretty much 'entry level'.

Generally using a computer, you are best using the usb output but few hi-fi components at this level have a suitable usb input. Cheapest I can think of is a Nad D3020 at £400, add a pair of 2020i or Dali Zensor 1s and you have a nice setup.

The active speaker choice is good in this context because it combines speakers and amplifiers in a package that saves you a lot of cash and delivers a lot of performance for the money. As always it depends on the standards you set for yourself. The reality is that you need to get out and try a few options for yourself, the differences are not subtle.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't be put off by the feedback here. You will be able to buy a nice upgrade with that sort of money.

I tend to favour active speakers for the desktop. They take less space, and some speakers are designed for near-field listening—their dispersion will affect the sweet spot, where you will enjoy some aspects of the music the most. You didn't specify whether you are looking for a living-room, bedroom or desktop system, but I would take this into account.

I would also not dismiss your Asus soundcard so quickly. Even though it's not a name you will often hear in hi-fi forums, some Asus audio products are not half bad. Depending on the model you have and the other things you intend to buy, it may be worth it to keep using your soundcard and put all of your money in amp and speakers, or active speakers.

Reubeng

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, the setup would be used at a desk in a smallish room at a desk.

So the Pioneer VSX-529 i mentioned in my first post should not be used? and i should just find an amp and speakers?

Im happy with second hand, just thought someone may know a couple good products within my price point they could recommend.

Thanks again

ReubenG

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As you don't need cd I would probably look at a Marantz MC-R 510 with speakers of your choice/budget such as the QAcoustics mentioned. You may find a package deal.

Second hand, it would have to be a Sony STR DB930 and the best speakers you can afford.

Good luck

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Reubeng said:
Thanks for the reply, the setup would be used at a desk in a smallish room at a desk.

So the Pioneer VSX-529 i mentioned in my first post should not be used? and i should just find an amp and speakers?

Im happy with second hand, just thought someone may know a couple good products within my price point they could recommend.

Thanks again

ReubenG

The Pioneer receiver will be fine with a pair of Q Acoustics or similar speakers if that is the route you want to go. It's cheap enough and will undoubtably be a big improvement on what you have had before.

You can do much better than that for similar money, which is what has been suggested by various posters. You asked for advice and have been given some, including some specific recommendations, make of it what you will.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
With the Pioneer VSX-529 you would be paying for features that you might not need—it's an AV receiver after all. Still, it should be easy to audition it with Q Acoustic speakers, and if you like it, that's what matters. Take also into account that its USB port might not work to connect it to a computer.

I think that the Yamaha and Marantz recommendations may be better options in your price range.

Auditioning active speakers is more difficult. See if there is any professional audio shop close to you.

You can also check many active speakers in Thomann. Adam, Yamaha, M-Audio, Tannoy and Presonus are often recommended. If you go this route, take into account that many active speakers don't have a volume control. Check if your soundcard has RCA output, and if it does, whether it's fixed or variable. Otherwise, check for a line-level jack. It's also possible to use an external volume control if necessary, but this adds to the cost.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
unsleepable said:
With the Pioneer VSX-529 you would be paying for features that you might not need—it's an AV receiver after all. Still, it should be easy to audition it with Q Acoustic speakers, and if you like it, that's what matters. Take also into account that its USB port might not work to connect it to a computer.

I think that the Yamaha and Marantz recommendations may be better options in your price range.

Auditioning active speakers is more difficult. See if there is any professional audio shop close to you.

You can also check many active speakers in Thomann. Adam, Yamaha, M-Audio, Tannoy and Presonus are often recommended. If you go this route, take into account that many active speakers don't have a volume control. Check if your soundcard has RCA output, and if it does, whether it's fixed or variable. Otherwise, check for a line-level jack. It's also possible to use an external volume control if necessary, but this adds to the cost.

None of the amps mentioned have a usb input for the computer, you will need to use the digital out from the soundcard the quality of which is not really known.

An asynchronous usb dac would be preferable and the Audio Engine mentioned above combines this with a good headphone amp, a requirement of the op, and basic pre-amp functions, ie volume.

Drive a pair of, say, Yamaha HS5s and the budget has been spent where it matters and not on extra channels or functionality that is not used as might be the case in some other options.

Personally, i can't really see how a better performance can be had for the money, but then.......*unknw*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
unsleepable said:

None of the amps mentioned have a usb input for the computer, you will need to use the digital out from the soundcard the quality of which is not really known.

An asynchronous usb dac would be preferable and the Audio Engine mentioned above combines this with a good headphone amp, a requirement of the op, and basic pre-amp functions, ie volume.

Drive a pair of, say, Yamaha HS5s and the budget has been spent where it matters and not on extra channels or functionality that is not used as might be the case in some other options.

Personally, i can't really see how a better performance can be had for the money, but then.......*unknw*

Marantz MCR-510 Melody, currently £219 at R/S (and various package deals elsewhere) has USB inputs.

No external DAC needed.

I would add a pair of Wharfedale 9.1's, available for under a ton and voila, a nice, neat and good looking system rather than some hair shirt looking cheap actives.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
davedotco said:
unsleepable said:

Marantz MCR-510 Melody, currently £219 at R/S (and various package deals elsewhere) has USB inputs.

No external DAC needed.

I would add a pair of Wharfedale 9.1's, available for under a ton and voila, a nice, neat and good looking system rather than some hair shirt looking cheap actives.

No it does not......!

It has a usb iPod style 'dock', this is a very different thing from an input suitable for a computer.

And hair shirt? The op needs to play from his computer into speakers and headphones which my suggested system does fine. Minimal bling maybe but performance wise? Have you tried a pair of HS5s?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
drummerman said:
davedotco said:
unsleepable said:

No external DAC needed.

No it does not......!

It has a usb iPod style 'dock', this is a very different thing from an input suitable for a computer.

And hair shirt? The op needs to play from his computer into speakers and headphones which my suggested system does fine. Minimal bling maybe but performance wise? Have you tried a pair of HS5s?

My bad, you are correct. I really should read these things better.

No never heard your suggestion but I had an extended play at a local (large) pro shop and all the cheap actives on display sounded ... cheap. I mentioned it many times before but it started to get interesting with ADAM's and even there, not the base range.

Incidently, I didn't like the sound of the more affordable Genelec's either but they were rather small and sounded that way.

Reubeng

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:

http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

That is the soundcard i currently own.

Thank you everyone for the replies, i have a much better idea of what to expect and what to look for now.

ReubenG

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Reubeng said:
davedotco said:

http://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

That is the soundcard i currently own.

Thank you everyone for the replies, i have a much better idea of what to expect and what to look for now.

ReubenG

Hi Reubeng, that clarifies things a lot. I am a 'bit old school' and think of 'soundcards' as onboard devices of dubious quality, this is rather better than that.

Assuming it can be set to output 'regular' 2 channel stereo, it can be used to drive pretty much anything, it is at this point that you need to decide what you really want. There are a number of issues you need to get straight in your head.

If you are going to use speakers 'on the desktop', then you need something compact and solidly made. For various reasons, inexpensive hi-fi are often neither of these things, Q Acoustics 2010i being one of the better models. Ideally you want something with tight and controlled bass that isn't going to boom and rattle on the desktop, tha active speakers I mention above are good at that and they are louder and punchier too.

In your situation the conventional route is to use the digital output on you soundcard into the digital in on the MCR-510 and into a pair od Q Acoustics or similar. This will work well enogh and is within budget if you are buying in the uk. There is lots of functionality including Airplay, Network connections, Radio and streaming options, though there is a downside too, relatively low power, and a lack of bass punch and presence if you like that sort of thing.

My personal choice, given where you are at, would be to run a pair of Equator Audio D5 monitors, which can be had for around £360. These will run directly from your soundcard which can be used to control the volume, as indeed can the control in the software player. These are outrageously good speakers for their size and price, for me absolute standouts, but they will take some hunting down. The Yamaha HS5s mentioned above are over £100 cheaper and better than pretty much anything at the price. Personally as someone who likes a bit of punch and power, I would take these options over the MCR 510/speaker option every time, but as always, it is your money and tour choice.

TRENDING THREADS