First a history, then an idea....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning all,

First, a history....

I set up a small midlands based design consultancy a couple of years ago and although the projects I've been working on have been varied and a lot of fun, I've always wanted to design something...a little bit hi-fi. Obviously my first port of call was to contact all the hifi companies I could think of to see if there were any opportunities to work with/for them but this didn't get me very far at all (" we don't need a designer.. "," we do it in house... ", " only if you move to Japan... ")

Then, an idea.....

What if I did it myself? I've got the design training, I've got all the CAD software, I know about manufacturing and I know how to make things look good. What else do I need? Hmm, well any kind of an inkling into how electronics work and how they're put  together to make them sound fantastic would be useful? 

Well I don't have either of them so that's that then...or is it?

Considering there's over 19,000 users on the What Hi-Fi forums I'm sure there must be someone with the aforementioned knowledge and expertise that I'm missing, in fact there's probably hundreds of you. Wouldn't it be a great idea if some of us put our heads together and created our own piece/s of glorious hifi hardware!? Imagine the possibilities!

Now I'll admit I had this idea at 3 am this morning and haven't fully thought through the details but by jingo* I'm excited about it! 

Anyway, that's my idea so let me know your thoughts and comments and either something will happen or it it won't, in which case I'll just have to design some very beautiful but very empty boxes.

* I don't actually use "by jingo" in everyday conversation so please don't judge me on that.

A

Anonymous

If you haven't looked around already there is a plethora of information available on the internet about building audio equipment. You should be able to garner the information yourself and then you can pick somebody of your choice to help you out.

Interesting though, I also work at a design consultancy and this hadn't crossed my mind even even though we probably have all the necessary skills internally.ÿ

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I'd phone Roksan in the first instance.........

They're actually growing on me. Cyrus on the other hand...ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wireless (802.11g and 802.11n compatible) components including wireless loudspeakers please.

I hate cables with a vengeance. If I could reduce the system's cabling - to just a couple of mains cables only - that would be fine.

Thanks.

[Oh yes, it is time we had something like this again...

SL10_02.jpg

sl-10-in.jpg

Only wireless of course!

A

Anonymous

chebby:to just a couple of mains cables only

You may not even need these in the next few years.ÿ

A

Anonymous

If we're working with wireless speakers why not have wheels on them so they can follow you around the house, and then sensors so they can automatically position themselves in the optimum position for the current room?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Is this a good idea?
How about a combined FM, DAB, new fangled DAB format, internet radio, Freeview, Freesat player.

Actually you can almost do that on a PC. Integrate them on PC and come up with seamless interface.

Is this a good idea?
A proper AV amp that attempted a decent sub equalisation and integration tool in the digital domain and offered a full set of digital preouts for John Duncan's digital input/crossover active monitors.

----

There's plenty of techie wizards in the diy audioforums, many of whom are knocking up mods and making kits for things.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Could you design one of your beautiful empty boxes to look like an 80's Amstrad system that I can put my expensive kit into. That way I'm thief proof.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts