Firewire to USB adaptor question.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Would one of these be a good idea? My PC and HiFi are about 12 meters apart. I cant use an USB cable so was going to use a firewire cable then an adaptor at a DAC, would this work? If so would there be any degradation in signal with the method?

iMark

shooter69:Would one of these be a good idea?My PC and HiFi are about 12 meters apart. I cant use an USB cable so was going to use a firewire cable then an adaptor at a DAC, would this work?If so would there be any degradation in signal with the method?

What kind of input/outputs do your computer and DAC have? I don't think there are Firewire to coax or Toslink adapters.

Why is USB no option? With 2 USB boosters or powered hubs you can go up to 15 meters.

Another option is Toslink. 12 meters shouldn't be problem (even though the specification says that 10m is the maximum). What about a wireless option?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
iMark:
What kind of input/outputs do your computer and DAC have? I don't think there are Firewire to coax or Toslink adapters.

Why is USB no option? With 2 USB boosters or powered hubs you can go up to 15 meters.

Another option is Toslink. 12 meters shouldn't be problem (even though the specification says that 10m is the maximum). What about a wireless option?

I havent got a DAC as yet and i'm still looking at the moment. The Benchmark DAC1 HDR is a contender as it has an analog in (this gives me another option of using the HDR as a pre amp driving active speakers, (something i'm toying about). I'm definitely going to sell the CD player and use the iMac i have as a source but the TT will stay so the HDR fits in at the moment. The 12 meters from PC to HiFi is a direct route, going around the wall would be nearer 20 meters and it would be on show. I've seen the USB boosters (not sure on these) but if i can get the signal to the DAC (which ever it may be) then would Firewire be a better option? There are Firewire DAC's out there but they don't have analog input's, if i could get around this somehow then a Firewire DAC would be an even better option, but i can't see how unless there are switching box's, but i haven't found any.

There seems to be Firewire to USB connectors on the market but i'm unsure of sound quality degradation (if any) when listening or even if it would work???

I want to listen to ALAC and Hi-Rez files, is wireless an option?

iMark

If you want to play your Hi-Rez files wirelessly your options are very limited. Maybe a Squeezebox Receiver will work.

I just thought of on another solution: USB over ethernet. Basically you use an ethernet cable with an ethernet to USB connector at either end of the ethernet cable. This will definitely cover the distance needed. In this scenario you can buy any DAC that has USB in. Even if it only works with USB 1.1 there should be enough bandwith for music streaming.

TRENDING THREADS