Finding a Gyro SE

Well, i really don't know where to start with this. I've been planning on purchasing a turntable for the last few weeks but have not made the leap and bought one yet.

I thought i'd be alright with a Rega RP3, i found one new for £323, which is a bargain, but could i click the buy now button? nope! What's the problem? well, i just can't make my mind up!!! I keep going back to the night i heard my friends Gyro and can't stop thinking that i'd really be making a mistake not buying one. I Can't afford a new one, well.. i can, but is it worth it for a two dozen LP's? I know i will definitely be buying more vinyl but i don't know what to do for the best? The RP3 is the sensible purchase i suppose, but that Gyro looks bloody gorgous.

what would be the best thing to do? i'm really stuck here, i need a push in the right direction.

I wouldn't expect the RP3 to sound quite as good as the Gyro, but I know it's going to sound very good. I just don't know whether it is the right thing to do.

I'm just indecisive, the rega would brobably suit my needs, but the lure of that Gyro is very strong.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I wouldn't expect the RP3 to sound quite as good as the Gyro, but I know it's going to sound very good. I just don't know whether it is the right thing to do.

I'm just indecisive, the rega would brobably suit my needs, but the lure of that Gyro is very strong.

Yes, a thing of beauty for sure. The reason I suggested having a listen to the RP3 is because you might think there's hardly any difference, in which case you would have to question whether paying the extra for the Michell was worth it for looks alone. On the other hand, you might think it's nowhere near as good, in which case you will feel more comfortable about paying the extra.

Obviously you would need to take into account the equipment being used to demo the RP3...

The RP3 is definitely the sensible option, It will be new, have warranty, etc, I can stick my choice of cart on it, and away i go. wheras, if i got a gyro it would probably be a used/ex dem. with no idea of arm or cart,

I even considered the RP40, just to be a bit awkward! I could do with trying one for a week or two.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
The RP3 is definitely the sensible option, It will be new, have warranty, etc, I can stick my choice of cart on it, and away i go. wheras, if i got a gyro it would probably be a used/ex dem. with no idea of arm or cart,

I even considered the RP40, just to be a bit awkward! I could do with trying one for a week or two.

I guess you also need to ask yourself if you really want to buy lots of vinyl. It can be quite expensive, and there are the practical issues with vinyl. Personally, if there was something I really wanted, I'd go for it, we're only here once ;)

yeah, i agree. The vinyl is going to become a part of life for myself and my g/f . we are going to start looking for new and old vinyl as part of our musical passion.

i'm just trying to persuade myself that what i'm doing is the right thing, as i said earlier, i don't have much vinyl right now, but i'll definitely be buying more.

i'm looking at spending more on a turntable than i spent on my cd player, and i've got 500+ cd's. and probably 2 dozen vinyl albums.

common sense says i should be buying a better cd player, and that's probably whats slowing my down from making a decision.

this hobby can do my head in sometimes!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
At this moment, I don't have a 'system', but shortly will have. I do however still have my old Rega Planar3 and around 200 albums. Part of the process will be to decide if I want to upgrade the turntable. One things for sure, I'm really looking forward to buying albums again. I guess the wife will hate it though, spending hours thumbing through boxes :)

HMV in Meadowhall had a small selection, i had a quick look through, and it brought back fond memories of spending hours in EGS in Barnsley in the 80's . there is definitely a special kind of pleasure in searching through and buying records. buying them from amazon, while convenient, just doesn't feel special.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
HMV in Meadowhall had a small selection, i had a quick look through, and it brought back fond memories of spending hours in EGS in Barnsley in the 80's . there is definitely a special kind of pleasure in searching through and buying records. buying them from amazon, while convenient, just doesn't feel special.

I agree. We sometimes go to Newton Abbot where we have a caravan, and there's a market which has a record stall with stacks of albums. Can't wait :)

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Freddy, if you are a regular visitor to Newton Abbot then you might want to pop along the road to Totnes. Plenty of vinyl about there. The Oxfam shop at the top of the hill only deals with books and vinyl/CD. There's also a music shop a bit further up selling instruments and second hand vinyl/CD. Plenty of charity shops about and the choice of music seems to be quite comprehensive in them. Probably due to the old 'hippies' everywhere selling off their record collections. Market day (Saturday I think) generally has one or two stands of vinyl and CD. :cheers:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have an RP6, my Gyro SE is ready to collect (im abroad as we speak for 3 weeks).

All I can say is the Gyro SE is a definate step up over the Rega even with just the RB303 arm!

Cant wait to get it home!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
8009514 said:
Freddy, if you are a regular visitor to Newton Abbot then you might want to pop along the road to Totnes. Plenty of vinyl about there. The Oxfam shop at the top of the hill only deals with books and vinyl/CD. There's also a music shop a bit further up selling instruments and second hand vinyl/CD. Plenty of charity shops about and the choice of music seems to be quite comprehensive in them. Probably due to the old 'hippies' everywhere selling off their record collections. Market day (Saturday I think) generally has one or two stands of vinyl and CD. :cheers:

Yeah, been to Totnes a few times, and noticed quite a bit of vinyl. I've been in that music shop you speak of, I just love looking at instruments :grin:

I've been to the market, but that was some time ago, so wasn't on the lookout for albums, thanks for the tip ;)

Decisions, decisions. I would tend to consider the RP3 unless you really know about turntables or know someone who can help with set-up of same.

The Michell Gyro SE is a tad more finicky to get set up, but once done is a great turntable.

If you are in it for the long run I would get the Gyro as you will be forever kicking yourself if you don't. (If you get into the upgrade bug later on it will take you up more levels than the RP3 could).

My advise would be to look for the Gyro rather than the Gyro SE, as this way, you get a lid. :grin:

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
You need to listen to them both again. The gyro and michell have different presentation. The gyro is better thab a rp3, but then it should be, it may be better than a RP 6, or may not, that is a pick your flavour. The RP8 is more of a price match, and would again be a personel choice rather than better than.The advantage with the gyro is that you can pick the arm to tailor the sound to your choice of presentation, the downside is it requires more setting up. In your position I would want to find a dealer that would let you compare the various decks side by side. If buying secondhand, you are safe with any of them, as you would be able to move them on without too much financial loss if you felt you had picked wrongly.

Why not use something like hi fi hunter to search for used decks.

respe said:
You need to listen to them both again. The gyro and michell have different presentation. The gyro is better thab a rp3, but then it should be, it may be better than a RP 6, or may not, that is a pick your flavour. The RP8 is more of a price match, and would again be a personel choice rather than better than.The advantage with the gyro is that you can pick the arm to tailor the sound to your choice of presentation, the downside is it requires more setting up. In your position I would want to find a dealer that would let you compare the various decks side by side. If buying secondhand, you are safe with any of them, as you would be able to move them on without too much financial loss if you felt you had picked wrongly.

Good advice in general but if you can find a dealer where you can audition RP8 and Gyro SE side-by-side you are indeed a very lucky man. :)

To some degree you can also pick the arm on the RP8 too.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
respe said:

Good advice in general but if you can find a dealer where you can audition RP8 and Gyro SE side-by-side you are indeed a very lucky man. :)

To some degree you can also pick the arm on the RP8 too.
A certain dealer in Coventry has both on demo......coughDavidcough.........:shifty:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts