Finally got my Mission LX-2

gasolin

Finally got my Mission LX-2 Walnut after atleast 1 day delay

First impression:

They are without any doubt bigger than Q Acoustics 3020 (bass) almost to big for my desk

More bass Than Q Acoustics 3020 deeper,tighter and more punchy (OMG i finally have decent bass, atleast better than my Q Acoustics 3020,size matters)

Midrange, deep male voices (Leonard cohen) doesn't seem exaggerated as if the speaker are midbass heavy, which they aren't

The top (treble) sounds a bit less detailed and more metalic, atleast with deep purple (but you must remember that they are new, burn in and getting used to a slightly different sound)

I feel they have a bit lower sensitivity (but not much)

Cheaper than Q Acoustics 3020 (atleast where i live which is denmark)

Hate to say it:

Because of better bass (deep,thigh and punchy) and lower price it makes them better than the Q Acoustics 3020

They deserve much more to be the best budget speaker than Wharfedale Diamond 220

Does Q Acoustics do anything better than the Mission LX-2? Not really, they are smaller, more easy to place and have just slightly higher sensitivity

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
They are without any doubt bigger than Q Acoustics 3020 (bass) almost to big for my desk

No wonder you didn't like the sound of the Q's if you only ever heard them on a desk. No speaker is going to sound its best on a desk. But hey who am I to rain on your party, I'm pleased you found a pair you like.
thumbs_up.gif

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

No wonder you didn't like the sound of the Q's if you only ever heard them on a desk. No speaker is going to sound its best on a desk. But hey who am I to rain on your party, I'm pleased you found a pair you like.

Where else am i gonna use than, when i use them with my pc

Never said they (3020) didn't sound good, just that i would like a bit more bass

You should not alway trust reviews, but here i want to agree a bit with whathifi, they do something different that makes them, the new best budget (not ultra) speakers and that is bass, i feel it's the bass that makes them the new best budget speaker over the 3020's

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't really a criticism. We get all sorts of people posting questions like such and such speaker sounds lightweight / too much bass / forward / recessed / brittle / dull, delete as appropriate. All kinds of well-intended responses pour forth from forum members such as check the phase, check their position in respect of room boundaries, even change the speaker cable. It's like the unspoken assumption is that the poster is sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle listening to two speakers supported on sturdy spiked metal stands at perfect ear level, when probably half the time they're shoved in a bookshelf, plonked on top of some random cabinet, shoved under a chair, or whatever, and unbeknown to us with our suggestions we're ignoring the biggest contributing factor to his poor sound. Enjoy your Missions.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
It wasn't really a criticism. We get all sorts of people posting questions like such and such speaker sounds lightweight / too much bass / forward / recessed / brittle / dull, delete as appropriate. All kinds of well-intended responses pour forth from forum members such as check the phase, check their position in respect of room boundaries, even change the speaker cable. It's like the unspoken assumption is that the poster is sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle listening to two speakers supported on sturdy spiked metal stands at perfect ear level, when probably half the time they're shoved in a bookshelf, plonked on top of some random cabinet, shoved under a chair, or whatever, and unbeknown to us with our suggestions we're ignoring the biggest contributing factor to his poor sound.

Enjoy your Missions.

This is so true. My speakers were like a newer more expensive set when I put them on proper stands than they were on a speaker bracket in a not great position

MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:

You beat me to it Major. I wouldn't be critiquing on speakers like these if I had them on a desk but I guess the analysis is relevant if you are in the same position.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Once you open up a box and take a listen it will more or less sound always like that. I.E. the burn in process will soften them a bit but IT WILL PROBABLY NOT SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGE THE CHARACTER OF THE SOUND AT ALL. Proof ? Listen to them all the time , thinking they are burned in. Then come back after 3 days and start to listen to them again - you will only notice that nothing substantial changed. Really it is so. That is why, it so hard to buy good to one's taste speakers. Proper-to-your-taste speakers will sound good to you straight out of the box. Of course, I can be wrong... ;)

gasolin

stereoman said:
Once you open up a box and take a listen it will more or less sound always like that. I.E. the burn in process will soften them a bit but IT WILL PROBABLY NOT SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGE THE CHARACTER OF THE SOUND AT ALL. Proof ? Listen to them all the time , thinking they are burned in. Then come back after 3 days and start to listen to them again - you will only notice that nothing substantial changed. Really it is so. That is why, it so hard to buy good to one's taste speakers. Proper-to-your-taste speakers will sound good to you straight out of the box. Of course, I can be wrong... ;)

Wharfedale Diamond 220 i think the first time i had the i put the back in the box the same day withion a few hours, i had high expertations since the where choosen to be good speaker by whathifi but was disapointing

How ever Q Acoustics 2010i's, 3020 and Mission LX-2 they didn't disapoint

Especilally Mission that are,cheaper bigger and have better bass than Q Acoustics 3020

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
Where else am i gonna use than, when i use them with my pc

Any speaker is going to be compromised when placed on a desk because of the early reflections bouncing up from the 'mirror points' on the surface of the desk. The best way around this problem is to remove the early reflections altogether by using tall speaker stands and a narrow desk so that there is no surface where the 'mirror points' are.

500x1000px-LL-3a3f1b9e_PC3_zpsqdthshpp.jpeg

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently listened to the Missions, along with the 3020's and the Dali Zensor 1. To be fair, none of them ticked all of the boxes for me personally, but the Missions did have the deeper soundstage out of the three. I thought that the treble was slightly recessed compared to the others, and not as detailed. They are noticeably bigger in cabinet size than other speakers in the same price range.

gasolin

CarlDW said:
I recently listened to the Missions, along with the 3020's and the Dali Zensor 1. To be fair, none of them ticked all of the boxes for me personally, but the Missions did have the deeper soundstage out of the three. I thought that the treble was slightly recessed compared to the others, and not as detailed. They are noticeably bigger in cabinet size than other speakers in the same price range.

That is also what can make a speaker have a fattigue sound (to much treble and if it's at the same time a bit agressive,harsh*crazy*)

Mission LX-2's sounds as they have no fattigue (very new,have not experienced any listening fattigue)

Q Acoustics 3020 have a slightly brighter sound and could have a fattigue sound,top, but doesn't

Dali Zensor 1 has without any doubt the brightest top and can easily sound fattigue in the long run or just by playing loud

I made the mistake 7-8 years ago to chose bright sounding speaker as the tricked me to belive they had more details, Dali concept has a bit fattigue top, especially at high levels (had 2x120 or 2x360 watt so i could play loud without any distortion)

Something that might sound clear and open (bright) might sound impressive,as if they have alot of details but can easily sound fattigue at high levels or after a short periode they can make you want to take a brake from listening to music, because of fattigue, as a musician (im not) and music lover (im that 100%) this is the worst thing ever (listening fattigue)

(listening fattigue can also be because of an agressive midrange or loud boomy bass, it doesnt always have to be the top,treble that is causing listening fattigue)

I find the missions neutal with a good bass, mabye the best bass from a budget speaker max 250-300€ for a pair (that has good sound not just budget because the speakers are cheap), very good for edm and drum solos like jazz or rock music

I do now hear the drums from lars ulrich and the bass from Robert trujillo much better than with my Q Acoustics 3020, they where lacking alot with the Q Acoustics that are midrange,treble speakers, they do how ever a good job at what they are good at

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts