Films to see before you die

Oh, how I love a good war flick, and dislike a dodgy one.

Last night I watched "Regeneration", a 1997 WWI film, first time in ages.

Although based on a novel, the story also revolves around the true story of how Seigfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen first met at an asylum near Edinburgh called Craiglockart. It was requisitioned for shell-shock victims of the Western Front.

There's an impressive cast: Jonathan Pryce plays psychologist Dr. William Rivers, James Wilby as Sassoon and Jonny Lee Miller who plays the disturbed Billy Prior. Some of the character development is biting yet poignant. During a consultation between Rivers and Prior, the psychologist looks up and says quietly: "It's funny how you don't stammer..." and Prior retorts, " I find it even stranger that you DO!" The dialogue is simple but hard hitting. Rivers realising he is reflecting traits of his patients, wanly confides in a colleague and confesses: "We're in charge, but not in control."

Unlike many other war films it isn't lashed with the usual cliched characters, and only very occasionally flashbacks to the trenches as a backstory to the main protaganists.

If you like your films to be thought provoking, allied to a very good script, acting and characters then "Regeneration" is likely to be a good watch, especially with its haunting music and wonderful location.

This has been the biggest influence on my fledgling hobby of screenwriting. Is it one of the greatest films? certainly up there with the best...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Never heard of it.

IMDB puts the main title as 'Behind The Lines' and 'Regeneration' as its original title (whatever thats all about)

Anyways, im going to try and watch it when possible :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've only seen this once (and some time ago, at that).

From what I recall, it's an excellent film; and more powerful in its closing moments than a thousand Saving Private Ryans.

In fact, I now feel obliged to track down a copy.

aliEnRIK said:
Never heard of it.

IMDB puts the main title as 'Behind The Lines' and 'Regeneration' as its original title (whatever thats all about)

Anyways, im going to try and watch it when possible :)

I think, Rik, it was re-titled for American audiences. And the film was an Anglo-Canadian production, so it sort of ties in...

CnoEvil said:
Schindler's List, The Matrix and Some Like It Hot - all for very different reasons.

I would say that "Regeneration" is in the same league as Spielberg's film, although it doesn't deliborately shock. However, if you see it take note of the 'Dr. Yealland scenes' where he uses electric probes on the larynx to stimulate the speech of mute soldiers. It makes you flinch.

Edit - That said, between the "shock" moments there's some lovely character development, especially between Rivers and Sassoon. Sassoon wasn't there because of shell-shock: He publicly denounced the conduct of the war and the Government sent him to Craiglockart in the vain hope he would change his mind.

Thirteen years after the film was made if you tried to re-make it or improve on it, I can't see where the improvements would be made. Superb.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There are too many films to choose from . Films to see before u die would have to be catorgarised IE. WESTERN-A few dollars more.(i was to young for john wayne). War film-Saving private ryan. Horror- Halloween(the original. Comedy-The pink panther. Si-fi- Starwars. Kids/Family- Goonies. Adventure-Lord of the rings. Gosh i could go on and on but i suppose its my personal preference and you could die with boredom. Add a de niro film in there and Avatar. But one sad film i never tire from is ......................Notting hill....... Im leaving the wine alone now........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts