Fed up with my sound

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi,I have'nt listened to much music recently because my system just does'nt sound right.The bass is there but there is no depth to the music if that makes sense? I'm wondering if my amp has enough power to do the speakers justice. Would i be better to swap for a meatier amp or change to standmounts that need less current? Cheers.

matthewpiano

Which are you having the problems with. Is it that you have gone back to the Arcam/CA and THAT isn't right, or is it that you've gone back to the Arcam/CA because the NAD combo doesn't sound right?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Has your system run in? It can take a while for the NAD seperates and the Kef speakers to run in properly.

IMO try the NAD amp with the C/A CDP and the Arcam amp with the NAD CDP and vice versa.

It could be that you end up with a few different variations

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
But have the NAD';s and your speakers run in (i.e. how long have you had them running)

The NAD's take a bit to run in and I can garuantee that the speakers will need 100/150hours of running in time to sound their best!

I also feel that your speaker cable is letting the system down. Something along the lines of the QED Silver Anniversary or Chord Carnival Silverscreen would open up the soundstage more.

IMO though with the seperates youve got; the NAD CDP and Arcam A65+ amp with the Kefs would be the right system with the above cable

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tosh:System is over 12 months old so should be well run in.Could speakers be underpowered or is 40 watts plenty?

I wouldnt agree fully but I do agree partly...!

The amp will drive the speakers fine but an amp around the 80wpc would be better. Although saying that the NAD C326BEE (only 50wpc but kicks well above its weight) or the Rotel RA05/06SE amps would be a better fit as would the NAD C355BEE integrated

matthewpiano

You have some decent electronics there. There is nothing wrong with the A65+ amp and the 640C CD player is one of the best affordable models of all.

Personally I'd be looking to audition some Monitor Audio speakers with your Arcam, possibly also trying your NAD C515BEE as an alternative to the Cambridge CD player.

Your KEFs are good speakers but, like the Quad 11Ls, they work best at higher volumes. They aren't the most gutsy, dynamic performers around and I think they are the main culprit here.

T

the record spot

Simple stuff first, have you tried repositioning the speakers if you can? I can shift mine back about 6 inches and the tonal picture is completely different. All about room acoustics, proximity to walls, etc.

Yup, agree with above - the A65+ will carry more realism with a Nad CDP. As regards the Arcams 40 Watt per channel output, they will be fine, unless, of course, you live in a converted barn...
emotion-2.gif

Also I second the Monitor Audio/Arcam combo - rarely have I heard such a wonderful synergy. In addition, the MAs are around 90/91dbs, so will aid the A65's lack of output.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a totally differnt system, but had similar issues. I had a Rotel RA02 (30wpc) and B&W 602 S3 speakers. I recently purchased a second hand ROtel RB-06 Power amp (70 WPC) and the difference is big. The extra power has made the system sound much better, with much greater bass weight at lower volumes.

I went with a second hand option, as if i didnt like it, it could just sell it again. I dont think I'll ever buy a amp with such low power again.

the record spot:Simple stuff first, have you tried repositioning the speakers if you can? I can shift mine back about 6 inches and the tonal picture is completely different. All about room acoustics, proximity to walls, etc.

Agreed - however, I know from personal experience that Cambridge CDP/Arcam amp will sound unbalanced. The other way round would be better, nevertheless.

matthewpiano

The OP's criticisms sound like a pretty accurate description of the drawbacks of those particular KEF speakers to me and I don't think piling loads of power into the equation is necessarily going to solve the issue.

I think it is more about synergy than all-out power.

I also second RS's recommendation to experiment with the free stuff such as in-room positioning first. It can make a far bigger difference than you'd ever expect and it is very sound advice.

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
I was only looking at a pair of RS1's in my local hifi shop last week,last few pairs going cheap.Would these be a good match for the Arcam?

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack the thread. Ill be quick.

Have you got rid of the Roths Matthew? If yes any reason why? I was thinking of a pair in a second system.

tosh:I was only looking at a pair of RS1's in my local hifi shop last week,last few pairs going cheap.Would these be a good match for the Arcam?

Yes and no, really. Yes the RS1s are worth auditioning and will sound great with the Arc, but the given the Kefs are floostanders, purchasing the MA will sacifice a little low-end value.

(In a Lloyd Grossman voice)...It's over to you.

matthewpiano

bobbyg81:
Sorry to hijack the thread. Ill be quick.

Have you got rid of the Roths Matthew? If yes any reason why? I was thinking of a pair in a second system.

No - I'm in the process of setting them up in a second system myself. They are superb little monitors for the money but the Pioneer is the first amp to really get a grip of the Q floorstanders and they sound superb now - just that bit more complete than the Roths. For budget stand-mounts I think the Roths are hard to beat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts