favourite tune or favourite sound?

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Given a choice would you reach for your favourite music or your favourite sounding CD and just to make things more complicated does this change with more expensive kit.

Just a thought.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Woohooo!! 3,000....

It shouldn't really matter what your favourite music is played on.....good music is good music, you'll still enjoy it
emotion-1.gif

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Depends in what context though. For instance, one of my all time favourite tunes is Jesus Just Left Chicago by ZZ Top. The album on which it appears is generally acknowleged amongst fans as the most hideous monstrosity ever committed to plastic (in a re-mastering sense) and a top hi-fi set-up just makes matters worse to the point that it is unlistenable to my ears. That said, of course the music matters most and imo you should shape your hardware investment accordingly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem there is that if you choose an accurate sounding system, badly recorded stuff sounds even worse (one in the eye for those believers eh?). If you then choose a system to suit rough stuff then it's not normally well suited to good sounding stuff, although it's better that way round than the opposite I suppose. The other problem is that the more genres you listen to, the harder it is to get a system to suit.

I do find it weird sometimes that most bad sounding albums can sound hideous on some stuff, but you take an album like The Circus by Lenny Kravitz, which is deliberately distorted and lacking definition, but it's easy to listen to on almost any system!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts