Fault with my REL Q150e subwoofer, repair or buy new sub?

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
I have a fault with my REL Q150e, cracking coming from the speaker when switched on, also the green led is dimming, switching off and then comes back on.

Would it be worth trying to get this fixed? Any suggestions of where or who to fix it. Does anyone know if I could buy a replacement amplifier for it.

ellisdj said:
Might be worth asking BK Electronics re a repair there is a chance they manufacturered that sub for Rel

'REL Acoustics, Ltd. of Bridgend, Wales was founded in 1990 by Richard Edmund Lord. Dissatisfied by the commercially available subwoofers of the day, Lord set out to build Himself something better'

I hardly think ringing BK is going to help.....

Suggest the OP gives REL a ring on 01656 768777

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
REL suport is rubbish so don't expect too much joy from them. I also think that these subwoofers are post BK design/manufacture so they probably won't be able to help, (might want to check out there subs for a replacement though)

The good news is that the amplifier plate is a pretty simple, old school linear amplifier so any electronics engineer should be able to sort it out pretty easily. If you can't find anyone locally there are places online who do repairs, remember you only need to send them the actual amplifier plate, not the whole subwoofer so it's not such a big deal.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
'REL Acoustics, Ltd. of Bridgend, Wales was founded in 1990 by Richard Edmund Lord. Dissatisfied by the commercially available subwoofers of the day, Lord set out to build Himself something better'

I hardly think ringing BK is going to help.....

Actually he's correct, BK electronics did design and manufacture a great number of REL subwoofers.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame when these old subs start to go. I had a problem with my Q50 so I took the amp in a box to the Bristol show having arranged before hand with Rel and the fixed it. Rachel Farrow might be the one to speak to. Seeing as it is an old model they won't have spare partss if it needs any but they still migt be able to fix it.

As mentioned if it can't be fixed, even by a 3rd party then I would stick with Rel for a new one. Let them know your set and room size/layout and they should be able to recomend the right one for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts