Fancy power lead. Where does it go?

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I've got one power lead. Triple shielded, braided blah blah etc etc. Where is it the most use? TV, AV Amp or DVD player? What would make the most difference (if any?)

Thanks!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Ffor me I got marginally better sound using mine on the CD player rather than the stereo amp, but now using it on the AV amp as that gets used more than any other component...

A

Anonymous

When you discover it does nothing it can go back to the shop for a refund.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
So they do nothing?! Presumably you also have a dim view of a £600 power conditioner then?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

i disagree my clearer audio cables 3 of make a noticable difference and not just in my pocket grimly

A

Anonymous

You should try it with all your kit and see where you see/hear the biggest diff.

Chances are that you will see the most gains on your source rather than the receiver or outputs. After all, it doesn't matter how good everything else is if the source material is poor. Then again there may be a limiting factor elsewhere in your setup which is why you should try it in all.

And you never know, you may end up agreeing with Grimly after all that.

A

Anonymous

It will sound best in your systems weakest link.
As already said try it in all the units.

PS Have you got a Tacima block yet?

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Would a Tacima block make a big difference? I've got a Belkin 4-plug that allegedly reduces RFI and EMI interference (and guards agains surges etc). Do these things make a noticeable difference? Are you saying the Tacima block is a must-have? Or would my Belkin be fine? And are they all just a monumental weaste of cash like our friend Grimly says?

A

Anonymous

For £22 ish its a no brainer, and yes many of us on here have one.

I found it improved things, and I have a multi plug as well plugged into it.

A

Anonymous

trevor79:For £22 ish its a no brainer, and yes many of us on here have one. I found it improved things, and I have a multi plug as well plugged into it.

Long time since I looked into this, but wasn't it a view from the 'high end' main leads and filter manufactures, that cheaper 'suppresion' type units were not too good?

What is the current 'zeitgeist' sp?

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
matt41:
Long time since I looked into this, but wasn't it a view from the 'high end' main leads and filter manufactures, that cheaper 'suppresion' type units were not too good?

There's a surprise!

Davo2008, I had a supposedly high quality Belkin 4-way block, and after a year or so it started smoking! One of the components inside had melted.

emotion-1.gif

http://whathifi.com/members/Davo2008.aspx

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
That's good news isn't it? Supposedly you're insured with those things for £75K, so hopefully it wiped out half your gear when it went into meltdown enabling you to get some new stuff!!

Can I just confirm that by "Tacima Block", you guys are talking about a 6 plug-socket thing, not the "Tacima Power Conditioner" for £150? Surely someone at Tacima is saying "Ha ha, why don't we market this plug as essential for Home Cinema users, take out the neon light and treble the price! Suckers!"??

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
It would have been good news if I had kept the receipt and remembered where I bought it! (I was using it with my computer equipment.)

According to the Tacima website, an ordinary mains lead "can act as an ariel" - I wondered where the fluttering sound was coming from!

emotion-2.gif

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
ok, ok, I'm convinced! I'll chuck the Belkin in the bin. Promise me no one's going to start telling me that I need £300 speaker wire pins because they resonate against the skirting board better, creating a more spacious and dynamic sound! ...........ummm.......they don't, do they??

A

Anonymous

Davo2008:
So they do nothing?! Presumably you also have a dim view of a £600 power conditioner then?
emotion-2.gif

People can spend their money how they like. A £600 conditioner should protect against surges which makes them far better value than a £99 mains lead that does nothing.

A

Anonymous

Davo2008:ok, ok, I'm convinced! I'll chuck the Belkin in the bin. Promise me no one's going to start telling me that I need £300 speaker wire pins because they resonate against the skirting board better, creating a more spacious and dynamic sound! ...........ummm.......they don't, do they??

The faulty Belkin is probably a one off, don't worry about it.

A

Anonymous

hi guys, i use a QED Qonduit MDH6 Mains Distribution Hub - 6 Way, and i find it makes a difference! i've just ordered clearer audio power cables for all but the plasma screen of my kit (clearer are waiting for a 90' angle IEC end connector for the screen)

does anyone else use one of the qed hubs? no one ever seems to mention them!

cheers Pete

TRENDING THREADS