Experts Please

Showerstud

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a new Tv. My budget will be £850 max. I am looking for top notch picture quality. I watch a bit of blue ray, lots of films and football and sport in general, have a Virgin TiVo box. Currently have a ps3 and will be getting a ps4. Any recomendations would be welcome. I'm thinking led/lcd but a plasma isn't out of the question but I know they can be expensive to run. Any and all views welcome.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If you watch a reasonable amount of sport then there is still no substitute for a plasma. My old Panasonic still outperforms even expensive led/lcd by some margin when it comes to tracking movement. I have seen a few good deals on Panasonic plasma recently [J Lewis], they cost more to run [electricity] but they are definitely worth it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Plasmas are being discontinued left, right and centre. If you want future-proofing, avoid.

I think your argument is based on a non sequitur. In what way is plasma any more or less future proof than other TV technologies?

jlyt16

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Depending on what size you want the panasonic txp42gt60 would be a great buy, if you look at the what hifi review it should tell you all you need to know. It will stretch your budget this is the best price I can find http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/products/TV/televisions/pl42/plasma-television/42-plasma-television/item/TXP42GT60B?gclid=CLKwlofhqLoCFSLHtAodaR0AHw In terms of power consumption average use of 6 hours per day should cost you around £40 per year, don't think that should break the bank. The average LCD/led should be about half that amount.

T

theflyingwasp

As you said if you're looking for "top notch" picture quality either wait a little longer and up your budget or just buy the biggest plasma set you can my friend.as far as future proofing is concerned I wouldn't worry about oled and 4k even bill gates has his 4k tv on lay away .

this whole LCD/LED power consumption verses plasma it's barely 80p a week cheaper you can hardly get a can of coke for that nowadays.

"the bit of blu ray" you watch will turn into all blu ray eventually and plasma has better motion handling for you watching sports.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Plasmas are being discontinued left, right and centre. If you want future-proofing, avoid.

An utterly non-sensical statement.

Ouch!! Is that The_Lhc speaking, heavily disguised as bigboss?? :) Mind you, when I get some decent money my next TV WILL be a plasma. I don't quite see why altruistic lemon thinks that plasmas are less future proof (than LCDs and LCDs with LED lighting, presumably? Perhaps altruistic lemon will return and explain.

Showerstud, you might consider also, as well as Panasonic 42 inch ST60 and GT60 models, the Samsung PS51F5500 plasma, see the What Hi-Fi review here http://www.whathifi.com/review/samsung-ps51f5500 . 51 inches, and well within your budget! Currys (ahem) have it for £679, here http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ps51f5500-smart-3d-51-plasma-tv-21334482-pdt.html Richer Sounds have the 60-inch version of this, the Samsung PS60F5500, for £969 including 5-year guarantee, which is an excellent deal http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ps60f5500/sams-ps60f5500.

Paul.

Playing devils advocate here, not sure why this forum is so vehemently against LCD? They really arn't that bad... Don't get me wrong, I like plasmas, but they are not without fault. Low to mid range plasmas are going to struggle with brightly lit rooms, the Samsung 51F5500 specifically as it has no anti reflective filtering whatso ever, it's just glass. Normal folk don't sit in a darkend cinema room critiquing their pictures, they watch deal or no deal with the curtains open! Secondly, you mentioned gaming is important. Do check the input lag of any tv you want to buy as many plasmas are poorer than LCD for input lag.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Paul. said:
Playing devils advocate here, not sure why this forum is so vehemently against LCD? They really arn't that bad... Don't get me wrong, I like plasmas, but they are not without fault. Low to mid range plasmas are going to struggle with brightly lit rooms, the Samsung 51F5500 specifically as it has no filtering whatso ever, it's just glass. Normal folk don't sit in a darkend cinema room critiquing their pictures, the watch deal or no deal with the curtains open! Secondly, you mentioned gaming is important. Do check the input lag of any tv you want to buy as many plasmas are poorer than LCD for input lag.

Correct Paul, no TV technology is perfect. I take your point about the Samsung maybe being a bit dark, but I don't think that most of its reviews think that that is an insuperable problem. By the way, I must be an abnormal person, because nearly all my TV watching, of normal TV programmes or of DVDs and Blu-Rays, is with the curtains (which are certainly not blackout items) drawn.

Oh, I'm certainly not against LCDs or LEDs as a species - my sister-in-law's three Samsung LEDs -55, 55 and 65 inches - all look gorgeous, and all have a very good picture. Or they would, if she didn't have them all on Dynamic mode, grrr!! |(

Paul.

didn't mean to pick on your example SJ, just wanted to inject some balance in the thread :). I'm also just a little bit grumpy Samsung killed off the 6 series plasma, my E6500 was a bargain and the black coating makes a huge difference over the F5500.

Paul. said:
Playing devils advocate here, not sure why this forum is so vehemently against LCD? They really arn't that bad... Don't get me wrong, I like plasmas, but they are not without fault. Low to mid range plasmas are going to struggle with brightly lit rooms, the Samsung 51F5500 specifically as it has no anti reflective filtering whatso ever, it's just glass. Normal folk don't sit in a darkend cinema room critiquing their pictures, they watch deal or no deal with the curtains open! Secondly, you mentioned gaming is important. Do check the input lag of any tv you want to buy as many plasmas are poorer than LCD for input lag.

Just trying to balance a non-sensical statement myself Paul. :)

By the way, plasmas historically have been better suited for gaming due to lower input lags and inherently better refresh rates woot the need for any artificial processing. Only in the past year or so, have LCDs started coming out with better input lag than plasmas.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
altruistic.lemon said:

I think your argument is based on a non sequitur. In what way is plasma any more or less future proof than other TV technologies?

Well spoken, Plasma still kicks @rse when it comes to movement and dynamic contrast.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thought I'd drop my two pence worth in here.

for me as a gamer my first plasma is fine g20, my second plasma gt50 has been a nightmare. Image retention is a real problem, based on this I would seriously consider a LCD/led set over a plasma if you are a gamer. If you don't game that much then plasma probably is the way to go. You do have to be careful with input lag on the LCD/led sets though, some are seriously high. Each one has its problems, you need to find one you can live with an image retention is a real pain for me.

it depends how much you game

Paul.

CNET have an input lag test. These are US models, so the model numbers may not tie up with uk models. Looks like Sony make the fastest at the mo :)

http://m.cnet.com/news/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/57589240?ds=1

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hdtv test have one for uk models

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

yes, Sony looks very good for input lag, but it has problems with poor viewing angles, so it might depend on viewing circumstances

T

theflyingwasp

I think from whats been said here you should be going for plasma.but i dont know what quality youre going to get at a large screen size for £850 tho.

It wouldnt really matter if you wanted cheap and cheerful but if you want to watch blu ray and want your new playstation 4 to look its best ,hang on a few months and save up a bit more im not saying bigger is better but buying 37-42inch tv for movies,games and football etc dosent do them justice.

Showerstud

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Cheers guys, just been to PC world to have a look and to my eye the Sonys and Panasonics seemed to be the best. They didn't have many plasmas in the store it was mainly led/lcd. There is too many options. I do play my playstation a lot and like to watch football and horse racing also, as well as a lot of films etc. so I guess I'm looking for a good all rounder. Cheers for all your input. I have decided I want a 46,47 or 50 inch. Argh too many options.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Showerstud said:
Cheers for all your input. I have decided I want a 46,47 or 50 inch. Argh too many options.

However, we should all have asked this question much earlier in this thread: how big is your room (measurements, please) and how far will you be sitting from the new television, whatever it is?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Showerstud said:
Cheers for all your input. I have decided I want a 46,47 or 50 inch. Argh too many options.

However, we should all have asked this question much earlier in this thread: how big is your room (measurements, please) and how far will you be sitting from the new television, whatever it is?

Not important imo just get the biggest tv you can afford even if you only sit 6 or 7 feet away, bigger is better.

TRENDING THREADS