Expert advice please with tough decision(s)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, I've saved some money and I'm desperately looking to resolve my speaker issue (the tweeter on my B&W LCR60 is defunct).

I've got the following options, and whichever I choose the new speaker(s) will be hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver.

1) Buy a Dali Suite speaker package. This looks like exceptional value, but there's one sticking point: the Dali package is rated at 4 ohms and my Yam receiver is probably not ideal to drive these. If I leave the receiver set to 8 ohms this is perhaps dangerous for the health of both the receiver and the speakers. If I set the amp to 6 ohms to drive the front channels, then this equals less power and would therefore probably have an adverse effect on performance.

2) Keep my existing B&W L&R speakers (601 s3) and either buy a second-hand LCR60 centre or replace the tweeter on my current speaker (obviously my system will be exactly the same if I do this and the 600 series 3 speakers are 10 years old now). There's not much difference in price between these options if I sell on the centre for repair. It's also by far the cheapest option.

3) Buy the newer model B&W HTM62 centre and stick with my existing B&Ws for other duties. Again, sounds like a reasonable option, but as the centre would be from a newer range of B&W speakers I'm not sure how seamlessly this would integrate sonically.

4) Sell all my speakers, save a bit longer, and eventually get the B&W MT-25 package.

I'd love to buy the entire B&W HTM package, but currently cant afford it, nor can I accomodate the larger rear speakers in my living room.

Having spent ages agonising over the implications of different choices, some objective opinions would be extremely welcome, including options I'm yet to consider.

Thanks all...

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi strapped, well I can't comment on the Dali Suite speaker package as I have never heard it, but it all comes down to money as you know most likely the cheapest route would be the replacement tweeter as second hand speakers you never know what you getting as I know, but buying B&W HTM62 might work as I have the Tannoy Sensys 2 for main and Sensys 1 for rear, but the matching centre speaker I replaced with a Tannoy Eyris model and the panning is a lot better then the matched one, so can't really say if this would be the same for you, but after checking the B&W HTM62 it uses the same type cones, so should be ok.

The B&W MT-25 package may be good, but selling your speakers before you have the new ones to replace them with would leave you without any system, unless that don't mind that? and you fancy a change in sound then may be that's the way to go, but have a listen to them before you decide anything.

But my personal opinion would be a tweeter replacement, but all depends on, are you happy with the speakers you have?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers mate

Yes, I'm relatively happy with the B&W speakers I have, though after 10 years of listening to them it might be time to sweep away the cobwebs and go for something new. Like you say, however, replacing the tweeter or selling on and buying a replacement centre for a moderate outlay would be the kindest option for my wallet.

I'm so tempted by the Dali package but the issues mentioned in my original post and the fact that I can't audition them have left me confused. I just wish I felt reassured that they would work well with my Yamaha 1065. In my financial circumstances, the prospect a £550 experiment -- especially one that might prove hazardous to my equipment -- is leaving me a little nervous.

Any other views, guys/gals, especially regarding the Dali package with my Yam (how safe is the combo and will I notice a worthwhile improvement in performance)? Thanks.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
strappedforcash

Have you been in contact with Yamaha's tech help desk?

They are very good and will advise you as to what can be acheived with the Dali's, I have been able in the past to run two 8 ohm speakers in parallel (as a surround back off of a 6.1 amp) which would present an apparent 4 ohms to the amp with no ill effects after talking it through with the Yamaha team

Thinking aloud also, it would be very unusual for a speaker manufacturer to produce a speaker package that isn't AV amp friendly, no matter what the impedance is stated at

Don't forget that even at 8 ohms it is possibel (probable) that the each of the speakeres will present an impedance of less than 4 ohms somewhere thru it's frequency range, where depends on the design of the speaker itself

I think you are reading too much into this, take advice from Yamaha or one of the Hi Fi retailer experts on this forum

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi fayeanddavid

I spoke to Yamaha a while back about this issue. Their advice was to select the 6 ohm impedance setting on the 1065 and not to play music too loud as this could be dangerous -- so a fairly cautious/ambiguous response that left me no more or less confident than before I called.

The dealer selling the Dali package insits I won't have a problem driving them with the 1065, but obviously they're looking for the sale...

So confusion reigns!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash:
Hi fayeanddavid

I spoke to Yamaha a while back about this issue. Their advice was to select the 6 ohm impedance setting on the 1065 and not to play music too loud as this could be dangerous -- so a fairly cautious/ambiguous response that left me no more or less confident than before I called.

The dealer selling the Dali package insits I won't have a problem driving them with the 1065, but obviously they're looking for the sale...

So confusion reigns!

As a business they will necessarily express caution, however unless you are driving your Amp in excess of 75db continually you should not experience any problems with 6 ohms selected. Essentilaly designed to cope with lower impedances
As I say I had mine presenting 4 ohms (with the main switch on the Amp at 8 ohms) with no difficuly, and ran the system like that for 3 years.
if you are driving your Amp at reference levels you must have a good OH and neighbours (smiley wink as I don't know how)
As in everything there is an element of risk, but not high risk, you should be OK

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers!

There's small risk, as in will they sound good together... and big risk, as in will my amp blow/produce dangerous levels of heat/will my speakers be damaged by clipping?

I might sound overly cautious, but I've experienced electrical fire in the home first hand and wouldn't want to risk that again, even if the risk is relatively small.

I've heard so many contrasting opinions about this. A friend of mine, who's just completing his PhD in physics (so generally knows what he's talking about when it comes to all things electricity related), says I should be about 80% safe. I'm not sure how I feel about those odds...

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I was just checking your amp out, is it this one http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx_v1065_black_g/?mode=overview, as for driving 4ohm load with this amp should be OK as it says in the manual to select 6ohm load to drive a 4 ohm load just like my onkyo, so you will be fine and on there spec sheet says 7x155 in 4 ohm, so they would not quote that if it could not power a 4 ohm load.

I can understand what you say, iv had my speakers for around 4 years and I have been thinking of saving up and replacing them, but was unsure. The Dali Suite speaker package you are looking at, you say they cost £550, but for some unknown reason I can not find them.

But on the AMP front if it's the one above then you have nothing to worry about.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
emotion-21.gif
It is the above amp; but because it's not brilliantly ventilated (show me an attractive/affordable AV rack that provides the 10cm minimum ventilation space stated as mandatory in the 1065 manual) this increases my concerns...

Hence, after buying the speakers, I'd then be potentially looking at finding a new rack that can accomodate my TV, other A/V equipment, and centre speaker, while giving the 1065 the necessary headroom to breathe.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well the onkyo 875 which I have must be one of the hottest AMP's out there and the stand I use is a GT5 the one off ebay and it allows around 3 inch max headroom and what I have done is made a side firing fan blowing over the top of the AMP, but still gets so hot that its just under the temp to burning my hand and with the summer and all its running fine ( I have cursed my self now), I mean in side of my AMP I can see 2 fans fitted one each side and they have never come on even how hot it gets.

In my earlier years I add a Goodman's stereo AMP and it was only 8 ohms and I had a pair of self made speakers with 4 ohm drivers in and it ran them for years and its now over 15 years old my sister as it and still works fine, So to be honest with your AMP it will be fine,

So to sum up, if you are more interested in the speaker package then go for it as your AMP will be OK, I mean you are running it now and it will only get slightly hotter and when you are playing your AMP you will be there anyway and if you like me when I go to bed etc, I turn all my equipment off and remember that all AMPS now a days have a over TEMP cut out device, so it will be safe.

But if you have concerns about the heat output and if its safe then no one can really help, because you are the only one who can really judge if your AMP is safe or not.

All the best!

p.s how hot does your AMP get now using the speakers you have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts