Expensive HDMI leads. Where will I see the most benefit?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I've gone and bought a QED HDMI lead.  I've yet to plug it into my brand new home cinema system as I just wanted some advice on where I would see the most benefit

Should I use the lead to run between my PS3 and my Denon 1909 or would I see an improvement in picture and sound using it to connect my Samsung telly and the Denon.  

I only ask as on another well known home cinema forum I was told I've wasted my money and cheap HDMI leads are perfectly acceptable.  Oh just for the record, I've not yet been able to afford a second expensive HDMI lead, I'm using a cheaper one for the time being. 

Thanks for any advice 

Messiah

Well first of all I would suggest swapping between the two and see if you can see a difference. I tried this between my 'freebie' lead that was supplied with my Virgin V+ and a £50 HDMI lead and could not see a difference.

So, personally I don't see that it matters which way round you connect it.

Having said all of that you may see a difference that will justify the expense so try it both ways and see what you think is best!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, can't see it making a difference where the lead is. To actually see if you can tell the difference between it and the cheaper one, you should hook the PS3 direct to the TV using the cheap one, then the QED one and examine the picture to see if it improves it at all. If you don't think it does, I wouldn't bother getting another one.
It's what I did and why I ended up keeping my Chord HDMI cable as it was clearly superior to the freebie one. However, others have tried and said they can't tell the difference, so if this is the case, it would then be a waste of money.
EDIT - although thinking about it, in theory, it would be better to have the QED one in between the PS3 and the Denon if it improves the sound output. But for picture, it shouldn't matter.

A

Anonymous

i have also tried numerous hdmi cables from £9.99 to £99.99, ,and could not see any difference so if you need two hdmi for blu ray and another two for sky hd or freesat, i would prefer to buy four at£9.99 and make a big saving.and still get a great hd picture..i did this on two different hd plasma tvs with the same result..

A

Anonymous

So what's the overall consensus?ÿ

Use the QED between the PS3 and the Denon or from the Denon to the TV?

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Just a question i have 3 HMDI inputs on my Yamaha RX-V363 Amp, i have a PS3 which is connected to my TV via HMDi what input on my amp would i have to put it in to get sound and video. The HMDI inputs on my amp are OUT, DVD, and DTV/CBL. Currently i have the Out going to the TV and the DTV/CBL going to my Sky HD Box the DVD is not in use. Im just thinking if there would be better sound if i could connect the PS3 to my Amp Via HMDI i already have an optical cable going into the PS3 to from my amp.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,
I'm afraid your Yamaha can't accept audio signals via HDMI, only video so you currently have your PS3 hooked up correctly for sound.
If you wanted, you could hook the PS3 up to the DVD connection for video, and if you configure the amp so that it knows the PS3 video is on DVD in and the audio is on the optical input, the amp would automatically switch both video and audio for you when you selected the PS3's input. You don't have to though, the way you have it currently is fine.

A

Anonymous

Hi. did you know that Pcworld, Currys, Harvey Norman and their like make more profit selling one of these outragously expensive cables than they do on one of their lcd tv's ???

One online Hifi magazine connected up a bluray player to a tv's scart using wire hangers and another tv with a Monster 100 Euro scart. A vidophile was brought in and could not tell the difference.

My suggestion, start at the cheapest and work up if not happy.

Regards,

Dec.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Steele:Hi. did you know that Pcworld, Currys, Harvey Norman and their like make more profit selling one of these outragously expensive cables than they do on one of their lcd tv's ???
Firstly, this isn't particularly surprising. The markup on most electrical goods is generally pretty low (in the hi-fi world at least), especially in the current economic climate with all retailers attempting to undercut each other to get the little business there is. It's also the reason when negotiating a deal with a hi-fi dealer, you're far more likely to get a bundled cable deal than a cash off deal. Remember, retailers do have to make a profit - without it they go bust.
Steele:One online Hifi magazine connected up a bluray player to a tv's scart using wire hangers and another tv with a Monster 100 Euro scart. A vidophile was brought in and could not tell the difference.
Okay, but then I hooked up a new Scart lead to my PVR to replace the free one and the difference between the two was night and day. So I'm not sure the experiment proved anything. I don't think many people would argue that an upgrade in Scart leads can make no difference - even the most die hard anti-HDMI lead spokesman will admit there is a big difference in the way an analogue and a digital signal is transmitted.
Steele:My suggestion, start at the cheapest and work up if not happy.
Well, you could do that, but then you wouldn't know if a better cable made a difference or not would you? Ignorance is bliss you could say, but I would say, I spent a year watching a PVR and thinking the picture wasn't brilliant after I bought a new HDTV and, suddenly, when I upgraded the cable, it was sooo much better. Far more sensible therefore to buy one from a retailer who offers full money refund if you're not happy. That way, you can look for yourself and, if you decide it's all hogwash, send it back for a refund.

A

Anonymous

Incidentally, why do you think I'd see an increase in quality using the quality HDMI lead between my PS3 and my Denon and not between my Denon and the TV?

ÿ

Thanksÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It was in my "EDIT" section as, since the HD audio sound is travelling between the Blu-Ray player to the amp, but not between the amp to the TV, it makes sense for it to go here to potentially improve the sound quality. Picture wise I can't see it making a difference.
This is all theory of course - as said originally, your best bet is to try it out and see which is better or indeed, if it makes any difference that you can see / hear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts