Evil wife banishes speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I don't think those types of screw would fit through the holes in the brackets though. They look a bit fat!
emotion-1.gif

I still think mounting near enough £400 worth of speakers to a partitioned wall is madness, though. Because the majority of the weight would be held so far from the point where they're screwed into the plaster board + the screw points are all so close together the stress/leverage would be concentrated on too smaller area for a hollow wall to safely take 7kgs hanging nearly 17 inches away from the wall (34cm cabinet + mounts). One accidental knock or pull and you've got a damaged wall there!

The only other alternative would be to put shelves up and sit the speakers on those as the other types of wall mounts I've looked at (side and front clampers) just aren't suitable for speakers as deep as the 685's. I guess B&W must have realised this too which is why they fitted their speakers with the plate for ball jointers in the first place. Besides, the shelf option would look rather pants and probably cost as much to do anyway!

With kids about too, I'd recommend some cable tidy strips to hide the speaker cables, aswell.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
ARW77:
I don't think those types of screw would fit through the holes in the brackets though. They look a bit fat!
emotion-1.gif

Those are not the actual screws - they simply 'bite' into the plaster board, and then you use standard screws that screw into these plugs.

Have a look at the link I provided for the usage of them and you'll see how it works..

They do provided a very secure anchor.

A

Anonymous

If I were you I'd sell the wife and kids and put that money towards a really awesome pair of speakers, then placement won't be a problem.

If you wanna check the going rate for a wife and kids just have a look on eBay or Gumtree.

Hope this helps

ÿGarryÿ

P.S. Offering free p&p on eBay will help those bids roll in.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Sorry, with plasterboard you should really only put load-bearing fixings into the metal or wood frames support the plasterboard. Anywhere else you risk an ugly hole in the wall, not to mention some speakers that may not have bounced that well!

A

Anonymous

I see what you mean with using the single screw though and it could work ok. It would just seem a bit odd to hang a rather nice pair of speakers off the wall as if they were just a pair of picture frames rattling around on an old screw! The speakers are good enough to deserve better than that.
emotion-4.gif

Besides, if they're gonna be mounted high up enough to be put out of reach from interfering little hands then they're best to be tilted down an properly toed- in towards the listening spot on solid mounts. Otherwise you're compromising (I hate that word!) the sound too much and stereo imaging would be poor.

As Del Boy would say, "YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!"
emotion-2.gif

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:
Sorry, with plasterboard you should really only put load-bearing fixings into the metal or wood frames support the plasterboard. Anywhere else you risk an ugly hole in the wall, not to mention some speakers that may not have bounced that well!

Agreed - but with some care a secure fixture can be obtained.

I was thinking about a U shaped bracket (with the bottom of the "U" mounted against the wall) - you are primarily dealing with lateral loading here - so as long as nobidy tries to swing tarzan style from the speakers - should be fine. Of course it also depends on the depth of the chosen speakers too.

I have previously successfully attached some shelving which held quite a weight using those vertical supports, to which you clip in shelf brackets. Not the wieght of a speaker I do appreciate that.

My suggestion was only a though
emotion-7.gif

TRENDING THREADS