Everything but the kitchen sink

superb121

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi :) I'm trying the last while to find a system to suit my needs but nothing has every box ticked. Or maybe something does but I havent come across it yet.

Basically I need something I can use bluetooth and airplay. That plays CDs. And if it plays spotify that would be great as well. DLNA/NAS file streaming would be good too. Bonus would be ipod dock, usb dock, that sort of thing.

I was looking at the Sonos Play 5 (but no CD or bluetooth and expensive).

And also the Denon new ceol (no bluetooth).

Is there a seperates box that would play bluetooth and CD's with aux out on the market maybe? Or a unit that does everything I above I havent seen yet?

superb121

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi nopiano

Both lovely bits of kit but no bluetooth sadly, which I want for a few devices I own. I was also looking at the cambridge steam magic 6v2, which has no cd. But I could get a cheap matching cd unit as seperates.

Pretty much at a point now where I might just build a PC to do all of the above with a high end audio card. It would work out cheaper than most options plus more functional. Maybe I'm looking for too much from one unit..

superb121 said:
Hi nopiano

Both lovely bits of kit but no bluetooth sadly, which I want for a few devices I own. I was also looking at the cambridge steam magic 6v2, which has no cd. But I could get a cheap matching cd unit as seperates.

Pretty much at a point now where I might just build a PC to do all of the above with a high end audio card. It would work out cheaper than most options plus more functional. Maybe I'm looking for too much from one unit..
i wonder if the lack of Bluetooth is because the SQ is marginal? I know a few DACs that have AptX fucntionality, but what devices do you have that need that?

Maybe an all-in-one like the NAD Viso would serve that need?

superb121

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Maybe manufacturers are phasing it out because of that. Or under pressure to use certain receivers. Main reasons for wanting bt is one of my phones is pretty much only good at streaming BT as its a bit older (but 64gb and I like it). Also want it as a backup for airplay on my windows laptop/tablets. I use Airfoil for windows to stream mp3s and other sources but I find it can be a bit flakey and crash/give off static and scare me half to death. Bluetooth is nice to have when airfoils having a bad day.

I guess the two best contenders are the Denon new ceol and the Merantz M-CR610. Hard to know which is the better unit, Denon comes in a LOT cheaper though?

superb121

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Always the way with manufacturers these days! Heck of a difference in price too.

Just realised what will save the day, cheap too. A Layen I-dock or similiar device :D Sorted!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I guess it depends on how high fidelity you want to go, but the new Nocs NS2 v2 active speaker accomodates AirPlay, bluetooth and Spotify Connect. They are quite small but a few people have bought them since they came out last week and love them. One guy received them today and is buying another pair for his studio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts