Entry Level Floorstander Advice

Bobbyhifi

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

After browsing in and out for many months I've finally decided to make my first post so please go easy on me!

I've basically got an old NAD/Mission system that I bought from Richer Sounds about a decade or so ago (think it's a 502 CD, 302amp and Mission 731 speakers from memory, am at work at the moment. (on a break of course!)

Having recently moved to a new house I've got a little more space to play with: 12ft x 17ft living room with speakers a couple of feet in front of bay window firing down the length of the room.

Due to the larger space I've been looking to upgrade the old hi-fi, starting with some floorstanding speakers since they should (?) make the biggest difference, I've set the budget between £300-500 and having looked around on the internet and in reviews have come up wih a shortlist. Can anyone give me their thoughts? -

Monitor Audio BR5 or possibly new ones BX5 I think? BX a significant jump in price though, anyone heard them?

Acoustic Energy Neo3 or new V2 Neo 3? Not seen much mentioned about the V2 ones yet apart from an AV review that was very positive (another mag, I'm sorry!)

Kef IQ5SE's - a bit old maybe but good prices to be found.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.5, though What HiFi review not great!

I would look to upgrade the rest of my system accordingly over the next year or so with mid-price components - probably Cyrus or Rega. I'd prefer to get the latest tech so the top two new models I listed preferable, though older models can be picked up for bargain prices so maybe I could aim higher with another older product?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rob.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You won't go wrong with the BR5 or the Neo V2 - both great value floostanders
emotion-21.gif

BX isn't due out for a couple of weeks.

Bobbyhifi

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks David,

I will probably hold off until next payday anyway so the BX's may well be out - may travel around as I prefer to purchase in person and Swindon is lacking in shops now Sevenoaks has closed (Audio-T doesn't have a great selection) - may well pop up and pay you a visit as I have friends in the midlands! How do the Neo speakers compare to the BR's out of interest? Nevermind if you haven't had a chance to directly compare though!

Cheers,

Rob.

Bobbyhifi

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Or the RS5 - available new for £300 at the mo, and a good step up from the BR5 in terms of clarity and detail.

Ooh, will look into it...
emotion-1.gif

Thanks for the info!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Bobbyhifi: Thanks David,

I will probably hold off until next payday anyway so the BX's may well be out - may travel around as I prefer to purchase in person and Swindon is lacking in shops now Sevenoaks has closed (Audio-T doesn't have a great selection) - may well pop up and pay you a visit as I have friends in the midlands! How do the Neo speakers compare to the BR's out of interest? Nevermind if you haven't had a chance to directly compare though!

Cheers,

Rob.

No problem Rob

You're more than welcome!

I haven't compared them directly yet as we've been running the Neo V2's in in our second AV room. The sub has been getting a serious work out! Having heard both the BR and Neo V2 package in the room recently, they're both excellent packages, and I've come to the conclusions that this is where serious AV packages start (the BR had the advantage as they were being driven by the Pioneer SCLX82, whereas the Neos are bring driven by the new VSX920).

T

the record spot

If you like the Mission sound, don't mind going down the used route and do a bit of checking on what you buy, I'd suggest either the Mission 752 (£80-100 secondhand and in good nick) or the 753 (£200-250) - both relish beefy amplification, so don't skimp, but for the prices, you won't readily beat them for much less than £1000. No disrepect to your selection, which is very good, but the Missions were arguably some of the best the company put out and are still tough to beat.

Bobbyhifi:

fatboyslimfast:Or the RS5 - available new for £300 at the mo, and a good step up from the BR5 in terms of clarity and detail.

Ooh, will look into it...
emotion-1.gif

Thanks for the info!

If you're thinking about RS5s, look at the RS6s. The 5s are a watered-down version - although very good, the RS6s will give you a bit more of everything for similar money.

However, that's a short-term fix; if you're upgrading your amp to a Cyrus or Rega I would suggest to look at either Epos M12 standmouted (£450-£500) or Dynaudio Audience 52s s/hand. Both are standmounters but both will sound staggering...

Floorstander, s/hand Spendor S5e or even the higher end Kef IQ7 or 9s.

A

Anonymous

If you have access to PSB Speakers, the new Image T6 sounds wonderful for the price. :)

A

Anonymous

Do you mean RX6's? Very good speakers but beware putting floorstanders that pump out lots of bass in a bay window, although they are front vented so might be a little less problematic. I would also say that Cyrus kit does not go particularly well with monitor audio stuff, unless you like a very forward overly bright treble.As record spot says though, you could look at the missions.They are very good speakers with a punchy tight sound .Are you determined to have floorstanders rather than bookshelf?

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
You can get some Kef iQ50's from £399 at the mo.

I have a pair of iQ5se speakers and they're great to listen to and I've read that the iQ50's are even better.

My Epos speakers in my main system are much better but were a lot more expensive. However you can get some Epos M22i in red cherry from Superfi at the moment for £599 which is a very good price, so I'd be tempted to stretch the budget a bit and get a great bargain and fantastic speaker.

A

Anonymous

The Acoustic Energy Neo 3's are absolutely superb speakers, masses of power, sound great when turned, up powerful snappy bass and a very open spacious sound, haven't heard V2 so can't comment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts