Emotiva BasX S10 - Humming when set to LFE.

Eugen

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi there!

My system consists of a Yamaha RX-V481 receiver, a pair of Elac B6 Debut and a Emotiva BasX S10 subwoofer.

Everything worked great until I wanted to try and adjust my settings using the YPAO mic on my receiver.

It was the first time I switched my subwoofer to LFE instead of a set crossover (it's actually a potentiometer) and that's when the sub started to hum.

I noticed that it only humms when the RCA from the receiver is plugged to my sub.

Also, weird thing is, the humming goes away if I set the phase of the sub to 180.

I'm out of options and I don't know if it's the receiver or the sub.

I can always switch back to setting a crossover from my sub, but still I would like to know what's going on.

Thank you!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I think the hum is being caused by some electrical interference either with the sub's RCA cable or the sub's body directly.

The hum is existing at a frequency , that is below the cross over frequency being set by your amp in LFE mode, so you are able to hear it.

And I think this frequency is above the manual frequency you are setting on the sub. So in this mode the sub is not playing it I think.

Do you think iam right in understanding the problem, as your post was not too clear to me.

Eugen

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Indeed. What you mentioned is pretty much what I have at the moment. There's also the thing that if I set the phase of my sub from 0 to 180, the humming stops.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
We seem to be making progress. But unfortunately even iam new to the music world. From what I gather being here, a phase difference on the sub should lead to a drop in bass. But hum was never on the text book. Can you post this query in the home theatre thread. Lots of folks there with subs, who can help you out :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts