Elderly Grandmother....

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Well my Grandmother has made it to the grand old age of 90 last week, however she is still using a 26" crt old Sony TV which is 10+ years old and well past its sell by date. So being the good Grandson that I am, I would like to buy her a new LCD screen.

I have a budget of around £500 and I would need a decent picture, min of 32" screen size with integrated freeview. HD is not a concern, as her eyes are not what they used to be. The only other preference would be to also have an integrated DVD player (not sure if this is a possibility).

Any recommendations to narrow the field down would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I don't really follow TVs but I can say I was in Tesco the other day and they seemed to have some cracking deals on Sony and Toshiba sets.

A

Anonymous

ukgthor:

Well my Grandmother has made it to the grand old age of 90 last week, however she is still using a 26" crt old Sony TV which is 10+ years old and well past its sell by date. So being the good Grandson that I am, I would like to buy her a new LCD screen. Any recommendations to narrow the field down would be appreciated.As a granddad myself, I would recommend that you do nothing to disturb your grandmothers life. She's had a 26" for the last 20 years and she's happy with it. Leave her alone
emotion-21.gif

John Duncan

rewerb:ukgthor:
Well my Grandmother has made it to the grand old age of 90 last week, however she is still using a 26" crt old Sony TV which is 10+ years old and well past its sell by date. So being the good Grandson that I am, I would like to buy her a new LCD screen.ÿAny recommendations to narrow the field down would be appreciated.As a granddad myself, I would recommend that you do nothing to disturb your grandmothers life. She's had a 26" for the last 20 years and she's happy with it. Leave her alone
emotion-21.gif

ÿ

Seconded - you want her to learn a new remote control?!?!?

ÿ

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Good on you for being so generous. Seeing as your gran is 90, I would be looking at spending a lot less than £500 as her eyes and ears may not be able to appreciate such a good set.

I replaced my parents old Sony CRT with a cheap lowish spec 32 Sony LCD for £350. Bonus of this is that they can still use the old CRT remote, which my mum is glad of. Also, as its a near base model, the remote that came with it is very simple to use.

idc

rewerb:As a granddad myself, I would recommend that you do nothing to disturb your grandmothers life. She's had a 26" for the last 20 years and she's happy with it. Leave her alone
emotion-21.gif

I would agree, my mother-in-law was recently treated to a new LCD for the livingroom and portable for the kitchen and they have given her no end of grief because of the different remote and problems getting them set up as she likes. Make sure the Sony screen is clean, maybe move her a bit closer and get her to sit facing it directly if her eyes are deteriorating.

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your concern for my
Grandmother, but I can assure you that I have discussed it with her and it's something that
she would like. She has been watching less and less TV due to the screen
size (which can no doubt be directly attributed to her deteriorating eyesight)
and picture quality, therefore I want to give her some more enjoyment whilst she
can still appreciate it and a bigger, clearer screen has got to be the answer.
As for the remote control, as long as it has a red on/off button and numbers 1 -
5, she'll be fine.

Any other recommendations on potential TV's
out there ?

matthewpiano

Lets face it, using a new LCD TV with integrated freeview has got to be easier than messing around with seperate set-top freeview boxes.

If you definitely need the integrated DVD, I'd be looking at the LG recommended earlier in the thread. I think, for the money, you'd find it a pretty hard package to beat.

A

Anonymous

If her eyesight is bad you obviously need better resolution so HD would help her...when I look at a crt now it is like taking my glasses off compared to my HD ready 37px80, get her the new 37x10 with sky or the freesat version,
The size of the screen should be 37inch if she is sitting about 2.5 metres away....the size of the screen should be determined by that, not by how old she is :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts